Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Igor leaves Sepultura

• 12-06-2006 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭

Taken from blabbermouth:
    Drummer Igor Cavalera has officially announced his departure from SEPULTURA (as first reported by BLABBERMOUTH.NET on January 13, 2006 and subsequently denied by both the band and Igor).

In a statement released today (June 12) to the Brazilian media, Igor attributed the split to "artistic incompatibility" with his SEPULTURA bandmates — guitarist Andreas Kisser, bassist Paulo Xisto Pinto Jr. and vocalist Derrick Green.

"I believe my time in SEPULTURA has come to an end," Igor said in the statement. "I have a lot of pride in everything we have done, but I feel that the group's current formation does not meet my expectations as a musician and a person. Since my last tour with SEPULTURA, which took place in Europe in December 2004, I have sensed that my ideas were not compatible with those of the rest of the band.

"I would really like to thank all of the fans that supported me and continue supporting our music. I would also like to thank everybody that worked to make SEPULTURA the band that it had become."

Igor announced earlier in the year that he was taking a break from the group's touring activities to spend time with his second wife and their new son (who was born in January). Filling in on drums during the band's European tour with IN FLAMES was Mayorga, who played with Igor's brother Max in SOULFLY for several years in the late '90s and again in 2001-2003.

Igor is the second Cavalera it leave SEPULTURA. In 1996, Max Cavalera exited the group after the rest of the band fired Max's wife Gloria as SEPULTURA's manager.

SEPULTURA are rumored to have selected Jean Dolabella (ex-UDORA) as their new permanent drummer following Roy Mayorga's decision to join STONE SOUR as a full-time member.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Noooo! :(
    The whole 'needing a break' must have been complete bull**** so since he's cited his reason for leaving as 'music incompatibility'.

Is Roy Mayorga with Stone Sour permenantly now? If not, I think he'd be a perfectly adequete replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

I am a sad sad panda. I wish he has not bothered recording the convicted in life video and everything. I think it has completely undermined everything we have done in the sepularmy now. I am upset.
    We Don't stop, We keep Fighting on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ahhh bummer. Bad news, bad news indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

the "sepultura" should just break up now or go by a new name

Beekay wrote:
    No member is bigger than the band :rolleyes:
    Is it Napalm Death that don't have a single original member left??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Yup, IMO their first incarnation was their best as well.

Beekay wrote:
    no they shouldn't. Simple as that, Iggor was a big part of the sound but to be honest they can replace him. Sure it is upsetting and i want him to stay but they will deal with it. I think they have become a better band since Max left why not do it again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I actually heard roumers that he was joining soulfly, i thought it was all total bull**** but with sepultura now dead in my eyes and soulfly getting better and better it would be unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

dimerocks wrote:
    no they shouldn't. Simple as that, Iggor was a big part of the sound but to be honest they can replace him. Sure it is upsetting and i want him to stay but they will deal with it. I think they have become a better band since Max left why not do it again now.
    Then just go under a different name,should be the same music and it would stop them getting so much s*it that its not the real Sepultura

but it is the real sepultura... i can't understand this mentallity that max was the heart of sepultura. Its been a decade since he left and in that decade every seps album has been better than the corresponding soulfly album released. Dark Ages is the only on that come close to the quality of a sepultura album. They have as much right to the name as Max or Iggor.

• Advertisement

Not in my opinion prophecy is also easily up there in my book, may not be as agressive but that and dark ages are just wrote better imo anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Shame, he was quality, and un-deniably an integral part of Sepultura and the music they made. But I am intersted to see how they'll sound with a new member. The same as I'm looking forward to the new Metallica album with Rob's input.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Haven't they had 30 or 32 members now?
    I think that's them...

Oh and very bad news, he's so good.

Patricide wrote:
    I actually heard roumers that he was joining soulfly, i thought it was all total bull**** but with sepultura now dead in my eyes and soulfly getting better and better it would be unreal.

Why would Sepultura be dead in your eyes? They've just put out one of the best albums of their careers, of any lineup. It won't sell because people are too hung up on someone who hasn't been in the band for 10 years. Listen to the music, ignore the peripheral bull**** which doesn't really matter at all. If the music is good, that is all that matters... and the music modern Sepultura are putting out is very good indeed. There's only one original member of Megadeth, two left in Metallica, two in Iron Maiden... it's not that uncommon and people still seem attached to those bands.

Should they have changed their name when Andreas replaced Jairo T?
    Patricide wrote:
    Really doubt it. He's been doing a load of rap/DJ stuff in Brazil, seems to be his new thing. He also said it was "Music incompatibility" that made him leave. Now I know Soulfly and Sepultura aren't the same, but at the end of the day they are both metal and if he didn't want to produce metal in Sepultura, then I couldn't see him going to Soulfly.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Gabriel

Sepultura after roots bloody roots is gone!! if you want to listen to them play arise or chaos a.d.!!! until they got together againg all of them , there is no more sepultura!!! se acabo la historia...........:cool:

Doctor J wrote:
    Why would Sepultura be dead in your eyes? They've just put out one of the best albums of their careers, of any lineup. It won't sell because people are too hung up on someone who hasn't been in the band for 10 years. Listen to the music, ignore the peripheral bull**** which doesn't really matter at all. If the music is good, that is all that matters... and the music modern Sepultura are putting out is very good indeed. There's only one original member of Megadeth, two left in Metallica, two in Iron Maiden... it's not that uncommon and people still seem attached to those bands.
    I dunno in a lot of peoples eyes there new album is good im just not a fan of the new singer, darren somthing or other isnt it. His voice just really puts me off the music and therefore there dead in my eyes. I thought soulfly were absolute ****e until prophecy came out tbh so its not that im just hung over about max being gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

Serious man, that is ****. It'd be great if he joined Soulfly though.

Having given his announcement a bit of thought and having considered the vastly improving quality of the last couple of albums, maybe it's not such a bad thing after all. I like where Sepultura are headed and if the new guy is pushing in the same direction, not going against it like Igor seems to have been, then maybe the future promises some serious quality :)

considering soulfly constantly release the same old **** over and over again i couldn't give a toss if iggor joins them appart from being dissapounted. today i am much mor positive now that the band have released a statement. I would be even more positive if they announced that the new drummer was to be Roy Mayorga, that would please me no end.

• Advertisement

If anyone's interested, Igor's first interview since leaving:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=53655

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Drummo

Ah b*ll*cks!!!!

Looks like it might be the end of the band as a recording entity :(

Read that interview earlier and it made me a very sad panda. Does stirring **** up run in the Cavalera gene-pool?

i think they will tour and hopefully ask Roy Mayorga to join as the drummer. That would be killer otherwise i think there will be the unfortunate event of a reunion. That would not please me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

man roy is in stone sour full time now,they have a new chap for the rest of the tour and then as andreas has said its unclear if they will even look for a new drummer,roy is in a band now that is touring and have just released an album so i highly doubt he will leave them to go back to sepultura

by the time there touring cycle is going to be over seps will be readyto recor a new album or thinking about the next step. Stone Sour is just a Slipknot side project so i wouldn't expect them to run the new album for longer than a year before slipknot start up again. There is no chance of him just upping and quiting i know that.

From blabbermouth
    Former SEPULTURA drummer Igor Cavalera has formed a brand new project with hardcore Brooklyn "death rapper" NECRO. Cavalera had previously appeared on the song "Necrotura" off NECRO's "The Circle of Tyrants" CD.

"The news is that myself and Igor have started a band, we will go into the studio in the next month and record demos," Necro told BLABBERMOUTH.NET. "We have been planning on doing this for months before he even left SEPULTURA, but now that he has left it seems like the perfect time to let people know about this new project we are working on.

"We don't have a band name yet, but we know we want to make some brutal old-school '80s thrash/death metal type of **** in the lines of DEATH, OBITUARY, SLAYER, METALLICA, SEPULTURA, MEGADETH, etc. just to name a few bands that were insane in 1986-1990.

"Igor will be playing drums, obviously, I will be playing all rhythm guitar and some leads, as well as the bass, until I find our Geezer Butler/Cliff Burton. Currently I am that person that can play in that style, so I will handle bass for now. And I will make an attempt at doing the vocals as well. Being I am a highly respected rapper who invented the genres 'death rap' and 'metal hiphop' it shouldn't be an issue, plus for those that just think I am a newjack hiphop guy that doesnt know **** about metal, I was in a band called INJUSTICE when I was just the tender age of 12 years old. I currently have the INJUSTICE 1990 demo online at MySpace. Here is the link for anyone that wants to hear it: www.myspace.com/injustice1990.

"Also you will notice I have a positive quote from Jeff Beccera of POSSESSED on the page who also recently contacted me and we will be working together on my next metal hiphop project, as well as Mark from LAMB OF GOD who reached out to me, too."

"I was 13 years old when that demo was recorded, playing both lead and rhythm guitar, while my brother Ill Bill was playing bass and handling vocals at 17 years old. We had opened for SEPULTURA and OBITUARY at L'Amour [in Brooklyn] when i was 12, and also did many shows opening for bands like NAPALM DEATH at the Cabaret, SADUS, IMMOLATION, BIOHAZARD and LUDACHRIST.

"Not 100% confirmed, but Alex Skolnick [TESTAMENT] should be doing a lot of the leads on this new project, as he did the leads on the track 'Necrotura', which featured Alex, Igor and Matt Harvey from EXHUMED.

"I am funding the whole project out of my own pocket, 'cuz as you might or might not know, I run my own record label, Psycho+Logical-Records, for the past six years, 100% indie and have moved over 200,000+ units of CDs combined with no major label help. So if we can't find a metal label to release this project, we have something to fall back on, but we would prefer a professional experienced full-on metal label to release this project. We shall see.

"For those that wanna hear the metal hiphop songs I did with Jamey and Sean of HATEBREED, John and Trevor of OBITUARY, Igor and more, go to my metal hiphop page on MySpace and you can hear samples: www.myspace.com/necrometalhiphop."

Igor Cavalera will be joining Necro on stage on August 26, 2006 at the Nokia Theatre in New York City to perform "Necrotura" and many other songs live with Necro and crew. Also appearing will be Ill Bill (NON-PHIXION), Lord Ezec a.k.a. Danny Diablo (SKARHEAD, CROWN OF THORNZ), and Sabac Red (NON-PHIXION) and Riviera Regime.

Yep, needing a break my ass. I see he has no problem flying to NY to record a ****ing album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

dimerocks wrote:
    by the time there touring cycle is going to be over seps will be readyto recor a new album or thinking about the next step. Stone Sour is just a Slipknot side project so i wouldn't expect them to run the new album for longer than a year before slipknot start up again. There is no chance of him just upping and quiting i know that.

im pretty sure the next step for seps is a long way away,not just finishing the current tour and there is still strong talk of a reunion which i would love to see,i myself wouldnt like to see roy in seps full time anyway,he is good and all but i think another drummer would suit better

Advertisement