Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much experience required before applying for Shotgun Licence???

Options
  • 12-06-2006 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I have been a member of Court Lough in Balbriggan since last October but have still only had 5 or 6 lessons. How much experience do you need to have before being able to apply for a licence? Even if I met all the requirements such as proof of my membership, letter from the dealer, safety courses completed, eircom phonewatch and proper storage, would I still need to have had experience in competitions or would I still be granted a licence?

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No experience is needed to apply for a licence; but applying for a licence without experience would probably be a good way to hurt yourself or someone else badly in an accident :(

For now, better to continue to take lessons until you are far more comfortable with gun handling (and your instructors are far more comfortable as well!). Then ask them about what shotgun to buy over a cup of coffee and work out what to get then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

You dont need anything like all those requirments for a shotgun but they will help make a smooth transaction for a first time licence and also you piece of mind if you have kids live in a urban area

and as sparks said training is very important be it from a competent family member or friend its essential i never really realised it before, i picked it up as habit from my father when out shooting which im very thankful for but for someone new into the sport handling a firearm under watchful eyes is a great way to learn

Advertisement