Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

S40 GDI - Anyone had any experience of this type?

Options
  • 12-06-2006 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

A work mate of mine is looking at a volvo s40 with a GDI engine - a variant of the type in the mitsubishi carisma.

Anyone here ever had one, know of one, or have any experience of this engine? They were advertised to be economical, but there seemed to be little uptake on them here.

Its a 00 one with 105k miles, and seems to have been looked after, service wise. Should he run away, or are they reliable??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

This engine suffered from 'coking'. Basically a lot of carbon and gunk got trapped in the cumbustion chamber AFAIK - I'm not sure of the exact details but cost in excess of a grand to repair. Volvo were covering this under warranty on cars with low mileage. Chances are with 105k on the clock that this has already happened. I can get more details tomorrow if you like.

Something nagging in my head says that this engine is slightly more than 1.8 which means it's 1.9 for tax purposes (1801cc - 1900cc).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote:
    Something nagging in my head says that this engine is slightly more than 1.8 which means it's 1.9 for tax purposes (1801cc - 1900cc).

You remember right. Volvo had 3 different 1.8 petrol engines in the S40 Mk1, but the Mitsubishi GDI engine is the only one actually over 1800cc, at 1834cc

Advertisement