Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy Magee

• 12-06-2006 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

What a hero!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Remember him on Know your sport (?) with George Hamilton? Ah the memory man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ruu wrote:

Indeed I do. One of the guys in the studio said this was his 11th World Cup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

During the opening ceremony when the flags were being carried in he said "and there's the Irish Tricolour". Sweet Jeebus we are not in it, it was the Ivory Coast.

That said he is the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

At least 5 world cups too many so.He is embarrassing at times a bit like motson if you will.

d22ontour wrote:
    At least 5 world cups too many so.He is embarrassing at times a bit like motson if you will.

Ah hes embarrassing in a cheesy Hoff sort of way, Motson is embarrassing in a fascist sort of way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

"The old Lactic acid is building up now!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Motson is embarrassing in a fascist sort of way!

You mean John "66" Motson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

d22ontour wrote:

11 you mean? :D

Such a legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

worst commentator on tv....but also the funniest! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I was just commenting earlier on how much I have enjoyed him so far. Good insightful commentary, but also, because he actually used the term shagbag during the Mexico Vs Iran game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Legend even if he was'nt thats the word one has to use whenever McGee is mentioned.

Mike.

gimmick wrote:
    shagbag

Damn it i was watching that match and i missed that!

JoeSoap you got a link???! :D

"The keeper was so late he missed the last bus" - tonight re: Kingson a.k.a Kingston!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

evilhomer wrote:
    You mean John "66" Motson?
    :D:D:D:D
    :D:D:D:D
    ....:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

he's like your near senile grandad. he said of one save from an italian shot "what a save" as if george banks's great save had been recreated but the shot was right at the keeper ! luckily houghton pointed this out shortly after. i never noticed him before but now he gets it so wrong so often. time to put him out to pasture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Dont particularly like his commentary but his comediac value is priceless:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

gimmick wrote:
    he actually used the term shagbag during the Mexico Vs Iran game.

haha, thank god i thought i imagined that!, brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Jimmy's not the best from a technical side , but he is indeed a legend and has that nostaligic feel about him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

Jimmy Magee is different class................DIFFERENT CLASS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

JoeSoap you got a link???! :D

Unfortunately not, didn't record it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

Ah jimee. You might think he's really cheesey and sometimes talks complete waffle, and he does, but he does seem to be genuinely excited by the matches and really enjoying doing his job. So ya gotta give him respect for that. Miles ahead of any commentator tv3 have ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Going back to the original post, why is he a legend? Did I miss something? I need to start watching the world cup on RTE again methinks....

I have always enjoyed listening to Jimmy Magee's commentary, he comes across as really passionate about the game at hand. He was class covering the '94 CL final between Milan and Barca. Desailly breaks into the box, about to score the last of Milan's 4 goals: "DESSSSSAAAAAIIIILLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!".

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

He was a bit annoying for the Mexico v Iran game as everytime an Iranian player touched the ball he claimed it was a Mexican on the ball.

Other then that he is not the worst on tv but he is long past his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Did you hear him last night when he called Totti, Hotty at one stage :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Jimmy is a complete legend. At the start of the match last night he said that Ghana played ireland in Dalymount in 56 as the Gold Coast and none of the Ghana team had boots on.:D

He is Ireland's verision of David Coleman, his "different Class" comment in '86 or when John Tracey won a silver medal in the '84 olympics. "John Tracey has 100 meters to go in the past Ireland have won olympic silver" goes on and name every Irish athlete to win an olympic medal.

My favourite was his radio comentary on the Steve Collins Eubank fight in '95. When the result was announced........"Thats it....He's done it.............STEEEEVVEE COLLLINSSSSS is world champion.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Ruu wrote:

Yes, how could we ever forget !!! ;-)

eg: "The great Cavan team that lost the 1954 Ulster final was, Sean O'Reilly in goals, Peter O'Reilly at left back, Paul O'Reilly at full back, Seamus O'Reilly at right back, ....."

This could be Jimmy's last World Cup. Mind you, we said that the last time, and the time before that! I wish it was Hamilton's last WC - he is impossible to listen to at times, ie: 99.9% of the time!

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

redspider wrote:
    I wish it was Hamilton's last WC...

Amen.

Advertisement