Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loving Windows Vista?

• 12-06-2006 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

So having played around with Windows Vista Beta 2.. I have to say I love it. Its clean and pretty and fast. It even feels finished to me. Anybody else been playing with it? Any gripes? Pet hates? Do you share my (ir)rational love for this this release?

Do you like the new folder structure...?

What have you got working on it..? what havn't you got working on it...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Hi... There's a long thread about Windows Vista....

Anyway, I'm beginning to love it myself... despite it's too fancyful... my eyes hurt after a while... anyway... this morning it crashed after it came back from sleep mode... and Outlook 2007 beta also crashed once... i could not get rid of it from Task Manager... had to reboot...

mart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

mart_max wrote:
    Hi... There's a long thread about Windows Vista....

Anyway, I'm beginning to love it myself... despite it's too fancyful... my eyes hurt after a while... anyway... this morning it crashed after it came back from sleep mode... and Outlook 2007 beta also crashed once... i could not get rid of it from Task Manager... had to reboot...

mart
    Ah it's not fair to test beta software on a beta OS :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

The return from sleep crash is driver relalated from what i can see.

Other than that it just needs a fast machine and has improved but its still beta so there will be problems.

As for office thats in early beta so itll take time hammer the bugs out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Gotta say I think Vista is the same as every Windows upgrade - over hyped and full of bugs, I know it's Beta 2 but still. As for backward compatibility, won't run Norton Internet Security, any Dell printers etc etc
    It's a resource hog even if you have plenty of RAM...stick to XP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

never install "norton internet security" on any pc!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

What type of memory load are people geting?

On an older build, 5308 I think, ~700MB was getting swallowed up and in disgust I deleted the OS and returned to WinXP.

Any similar occurances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Tivoli wrote:
    never install "norton internet security" on any pc!

My Eyes Burn!!!

Ive been trashing all the builds from every aspect, they do fall down on the little things, the older builds raped resources however the newer ones are alot kinder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Rosser wrote:
    Gotta say I think Vista is the same as every Windows upgrade - over hyped and full of bugs, I know it's Beta 2 but still.

'But still' what? You've hardly got a convincing argument here. Beta software has bugs?! Who would have imagined! You can't judge Vista properly until you've used the final release. In fact, it's not even Windows Vista until the final release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

zuma wrote:
    What type of memory load are people geting?

On an older build, 5308 I think, ~700MB was getting swallowed up and in disgust I deleted the OS and returned to WinXP.

Any similar occurances?
    Yeah, the latest build was running at 550MB for me, with nothing else running.

It's also not that fast. I installed the 64-bit and then the 32-bit for comparison. The 32-bit was much much faster, but still a good deal slower than an XP build. I couldn't see myself having the patience if it's going to be that slow on recent hardware.

seamus wrote:
    Yeah, the latest build was running at 550MB for me, with nothing else running.

It's also not that fast. I installed the 64-bit and then the 32-bit for comparison. The 32-bit was much much faster, but still a good deal slower than an XP build. I couldn't see myself having the patience if it's going to be that slow on recent hardware.

I'll probable wait 6months or so....mid 2007 until I adopt Vista AFTER upgrading my hardware to a comfortable Intel Cor Duo with at the very least 2GB(probable) of RAM.
    I see no other point as my AMD Athlon 3500+ with 1GB of RAM and 6600 was just too damn slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep a few weeks in now and still running fast and loving the look and feel.

It does like the 2GB ram I put in as that 'audiodg.exe' is using up to and beyond 500MB...grr

Anyway overall I'm happy :)

god's toy wrote:
    Yep a few weeks in now and still running fast and loving the look and feel.

It does like the 2GB ram I put in as that 'audiodg.exe' is using up to and beyond 500MB...grr

Anyway overall I'm happy :)

Thats an insane memory leak!

Any resolutions to your problem from MS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

zuma wrote:
    Thats an insane memory leak!

Any resolutions to your problem from MS?

HA! nope no one from MS can tell me what the darn thing is used for! a few guys are saying it could be unused code using memory until it's optimized.

A quick restart sorts it out.

Well Microsoft have closed the customer preview program for Vista so if you didnt get it, it's astalavista baby... see what I did there? er get it?... oh never mind.

*Back to beta testing for me*...Damn%20computer!!!.gif .... comp26[1].gif .... biggrin.gif

zuma wrote:
    I'll probable wait 6months or so....mid 2007 until I adopt Vista AFTER upgrading my hardware to a comfortable Intel Cor Duo with at the very least 2GB(probable) of RAM.
    I see no other point as my AMD Athlon 3500+ with 1GB of RAM and 6600 was just too damn slow.
    It'll be late next year or even later before I bother with it for my home machines. XP is stable and serves my purposes. I'll install it in work though to get myself the exposure.

XP's long life means that many consumer and business machines will serve reasonable purposes for a lot longer than in the past, so there'll be little reason to upgrade to vista. While OEM machines will have it, that's a small trickle. I can't see software developers moving over to Vista-only versions until late 2008 at the earliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is it safe to download vista from the net?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Is it safe to download vista from the net?

Main Page link:
    http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/en/x86/download.htm

Use the links on the right and download with Flashget or similar...as its so damn big a corrupt download will NOT be nice!!!

Your own your own for the serial Im afrad...!

Oh the link above will be valid until Bastille Day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Can anyone confirm the MD5 hash for the Windows Vista Beta 2 DVD ISO download? I've calculated the hash as: 0e733ab1a8e8ff9a8684fd3639332773
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I installed it on Virtual PC and assigned 500mb ram and its really really slow.

Anyone else installed on Virtual PC?

Oracle wrote:
    Can anyone confirm the MD5 hash for the Windows Vista Beta 2 DVD ISO download? I've calculated the hash as: 0e733ab1a8e8ff9a8684fd3639332773
    Thanks.
    I'm getting: 4B6641731977D390838B24A0C300D1C6

Filename is vista_5384.4.060518-1455_winmain_beta2_x86fre_client-lb2cfre_en_dvd.iso

Downloaded from MS, so it's the real one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I haven't tried the Beta 2 but I've been reading up on it and tbh... I know this is blatent M$ bashing but it's deserved, I have everything I need so far with SuSe 10.1, Aero Glass = XGL, New Optimised Search = Beagle, New Folder Layout = Gnome...

I could go on but I won't. Basically M$ are doing things that have been done times before, and much better. Unix based OSes for years have set users as just that, users and not default as admins. I know the new Vista release has the security settings 'upgraded' so to speak so that users need to know the admin password to install software and change the OS and such but that's been around in linux and MacOSX for years now.

I'm sorry but it's nothing I haven't seen before and M$ are making it propritory and label it all as 'advances new features, blah blah blah...'

Yeah yeah same old microsoft stealing everyone else's ideas...

Again.

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote:
    I haven't tried the Beta 2 but I've been reading up on it and tbh... I know this is blatent M$ bashing but it's deserved, I have everything I need so far with SuSe 10.1, Aero Glass = XGL, New Optimised Search = Beagle, New Folder Layout = Gnome...

I could go on but I won't. Basically M$ are doing things that have been done times before, and much better. Unix based OSes for years have set users as just that, users and not default as admins. I know the new Vista release has the security settings 'upgraded' so to speak so that users need to know the admin password to install software and change the OS and such but that's been around in linux and MacOSX for years now.

I'm sorry but it's nothing I haven't seen before and M$ are making it propritory and label it all as 'advances new features, blah blah blah...'

Yeah yeah same old microsoft stealing everyone else's ideas...

Again.

XGL is so damn impressive.

Ive the Kororaa Live CD as well as it setup on Suse 10.1 myself....really nice.

Ubuntu is impressive as well.

On the other hand Linux will always have a steep learning curve due to the reliance on the Terminals and commands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

zuma wrote:
    XGL is so damn impressive.

Ive the Kororaa Live CD as well as it setup on Suse 10.1 myself....really nice.

Ubuntu is impressive as well.

On the other hand Linux will always have a steep learning curve due to the reliance on the Terminals and commands.
    Not really, suse 10.1 almost got it right with it's new easier package management programs... if they worked of course, they made it into the final release still buggy (which is beyond me). Anywho they've been fixed in an update now so it's just a simple *click* install program and... well that's it. Except for dependencies of course, what they really need to do is integrate something like YUM with YaST and yer sorted, as Yum will overcome the dependencies issue by automatically downloading a program's depdencies as it installs.

I'm loving the new SuSe 10.1 apart from initial bugs so far, haven't booted back into XP in about two weeks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

Hopefully the final version of Vista will be much faster because they are going to turn off debugging options while building the final Windows files. Debugging info can slow down executables because they have to keep track of extra info that the programmers or developers find helpful in fixing software bugs or glitches.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oracle wrote:
    Thanks.
    Google gets 421 hits for that number if that makes you feel better.
    zuma wrote:
    For many repetitive tasks, I prefer to use scripts in windows rather than GUI. For one you can read over it and correct typos before you press enter, for another it might be faster next time. Something as simple as
    Xcopy *.wbk backup\*doc /d can be tricky in windows

And besides can't you mange the Linux box with webmin from the comfort of Internet Explorer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

whheeee, everyones diggin up old threads to day :)

im running rtm for the past few weeks,
    none of the above issues.
    media centre pc running home premium is a p4 2.8 with 512mb ram
    laptop here running ulitmate is a core duo 2600 with 1 gig ram

both running final o2k7 and almost no issues.
    1 reboot on the media centre due to buggy audigy driver
    and some questionable battery life on the laptop

Advertisement