Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

802.11bg GHz signals a health hazard?

• 12-06-2006 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

anybody know of any reported non-ionising radiation health hazards associated with wifi signals? I know the power is much lower than mobile phones for similar frequencies. I was thinking of placing my linksys wireless access point in the bedroom to remain always on but i am a little uncomfortable with this without doing some research first!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's some anecdotal evidence that the signal can disturb your sleep, similar to the way some people are affected by having their phone switched on as they sleep.

Try it and see I guess. There aren't proven risks such as increased risk of cancer that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

Stark wrote:
    There's some anecdotal evidence that the signal can disturb your sleep, similar to the way some people are affected by having their phone switched on as they sleep.

Try it and see I guess. There aren't proven risks such as increased risk of cancer that I'm aware of.

I have noticed that i sleep better with my mobile (which is always left on) positioned at the window as opposed to near my head (which is between phone and window) !! i.e. phone presumably operating at lower power as nearer base station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

There were some nuts suing a school in The States - but that was with antennae involved - and based on nothing really.
    It's too early to say what the prolonged effects to WiFi will cause - not many people have seen the need for any research into it as the power output is so so small.
    WiFi doesn't send radio signals constantly; only during data transmission: compared to mobile phones. The exposure to microwave radiation from WiFi is considerably less than other radio frequencies.
    Personally, I believe that any exposure to electromagnetic forces have an impact. However I believe, in the case of WiFi, that the effects are negligible.

You may,however,find that you're sensitive to noise / lights during sleep. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

If you trip on it or mabe poke ur eye with an antenna it could be a hazzard but it puts out less power than i do before coffee.

Its barely above background radiation. Irish broadband in the licenced spectrum use 10 times the power and you have a microwave in ur kitchen that puts out a better signal than wireless.

non-ionising radiation?????
    http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/radiation_nonionizing/index.html

Crank the power up a few whatts and mabe and thats a big mabe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If you're concerned, do you need it on as you sleep ?
    If its a pc you have, you could just get an ordinary router , wire your pc & wireless router to it , then just turn on your wireless one when you need it .

• Advertisement
Advertisement