Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATB is being phased out??

Options
  • 12-06-2006 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed that over the last few ff games, the whole mechanic of the Active time battle is gradually being phased out? FF11 and FF12 although having some level of turn based combat still look to be the last days of ATB, maybe the future of final fantasy battles will be similar to kingdom hearts :eek: which is ok I guess but one of the major draws for me was the ATB, lets hope we see a return to that format for FF13.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Didn't the trailer for 13 show some reference to ATB? I can't really remember now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I liked FFX's system more tbh. Its annoying when your just waiting for the bar to fill when the enemy seems to be just attacking at random. At least with turn based, you know whats coming and you can see how haste etc effects it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Anima wrote:
    I liked FFX's system more tbh. Its annoying when your just waiting for the bar to fill when the enemy seems to be just attacking at random. At least with turn based, you know whats coming and you can see how haste etc effects it.

Random? I think you must be mistaken, FFX's battle system was a conditional turn based system, you could actually see exactly when you and the enemy were going to attack and strategise your moves. Best imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

ATB or at least a form of ATB will be coming back for XIII. Personally I've never been a huge fan of it, it has a tendency to be fairly sluggish. I'd prefer to see something more fast paced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I agree that FFX had a much better system than ATB. I don't mind a more traditional turn based battle system but ATB can be especially annoying at the start of the game when your characters have very low speed and it takes ages for their bars to fill up. I'd imagine it's put a good few people of getting into whatever Final Fantasy they were planning on playing because it seemed too slow at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

FF12 has moved even further away from the FF norm - now instead of those heart-attack inducing screen smashes that signalled the start of the battle u now see all the enemies you want to fight in the area you run through - u have l an aggro system like those seen in mmorpgs but the battles still play out over fixed turns just in a far more dynamic way - i think this is a dangerous mistake for them to make as the grinding boredom required in (most) mmorpgs is often experienced with a group of chatting humans not a party of npcs (and is not particurlarly entertaining either) also when fighting one group a patrol might stumble upon u and join the battle :(

ff12 is the lowest scoring FF game (not including spinoffs like 10-2 or dirge of cerberus) in games.tm magazine and thats the worst sign i think since they average 9+

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

The ATB in 7 and 8 was great, as long as da characters arent really slow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Hercule wrote:
    FF12 has moved even further away from the FF norm - now instead of those heart-attack inducing screen smashes that signalled the start of the battle u now see all the enemies you want to fight in the area you run through
    Ok that sounds like no unexpected random battle like chrono trigger.
    u have l an aggro system like those seen in mmorpgs but the battles still play out over fixed turns just in a far more dynamic way
    That's bad because it's different to the old ff?
    i think this is a dangerous mistake for them to make as the grinding boredom required in (most) mmorpgs is often experienced with a group of chatting humans not a party of npcs (and is not particurlarly entertaining either)
    What dangerous mistake? Who says the changes are mistakes? Who says you'll need to grind in ff12 as much as in a mmorpg to level?
    also when fighting one group a patrol might stumble upon u and join the battle :(
    Again, that's bad because it's different to the older ff?
    ff12 is the lowest scoring FF game (not including spinoffs like 10-2 or dirge of cerberus) in games.tm magazine and thats the worst sign i think since they average 9+
    Lowest scoring? FF12 got full marks on famitsu and an average score of 92% on gamerankings.com. Sounds like you're just overly negative about the fact that it's different, not because the battle system is bad. You haven't played the full game and a lot of reviewers have and they all rate it very highly.

Advertisement