Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I just get Hot Water from my Oil heating?

Options
  • 12-06-2006 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I wonder if there is a way that I can safety get just hot water (and not hot radiators) from my Oil Heating as opposed to using the electric immersion which is probably far more expensive.

I was thinking of just turning off all the radiators and turning on the heating but do not know if this somehow would be bad for the heating system?

My house is about 12 years old and I have a timer in the house and the oil boiler in the back garden which has a thermostat(which I keep needing to reset by the way) inside the boiler housing.

Any advice grateful
    Thanks. James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Not cleanly or conveniently.
    It's meant to be a closed system.

You'll spend anything you save (if anything) and more
    on having the heating system serviced afterwards.

Do you have a good lagging jacket on the immersion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Thanks.. Yeah its a pre-formed lagging jacket sealed onto the boiler, ie, not one you would put yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Your system may have a motorised valve - there would possibly be a switch (like a light switch), maybe in the hot press, which would switch the valve on and off. In my system's case, turning it off results in the boiler only heating the water in the tank - turning it on heats the radiators too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

You will not harm the boiler. The thermostat on the boiler will control the temperature in the boiler and not let it overheat.
    I only use my immersion if I really need to boost the hot water or heat it up quicker than normal. However my boiler is internal and therefore a bit more efficient than an external one where you loose heat to the boiler house and to the ground where the pipes run to the house.
    Jim.

Advertisement