Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

waiting on provisional license

Options
  • 12-06-2006 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

this seemed like the most appropraite forum. feel free to move. i've been waiting over 3 weeks for my provisional license to arrive and i was wondering if that's normal. i rang the motor tax office and they said it was processed on the 6th with no problems but i'm still waiting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't think that's normal. You need to ring them up and ask was it posted on the 6th. If so, it's probably delays on An Post's end, which is rather frustrating as you don't know if it's lost or just misrouted.

It was so much easier when you just called in and they made it up on the spot for you :)

That reminds me, my 1st is due to expire soon. Can you apply for your second in advance so it's ready for you when your first licence expires?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I rang the motor tax office in Naas today to see where the hell my car tax is, got a pre-recorded message saying today they are processing applications from the 28th of May!!! Guessing there is a delay all round the country but probably only Kildare :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyone know where I stand on this if stopped by the gaurds? Tax is out since May now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

mloc123 wrote:
    Anyone know where I stand on this if stopped by the gaurds? Tax is out since May now.

The gardaí are generally understanding of problems when it comes to getting tax renewed.

Parking is a different matter though. If you park your car somewhere without tax, you're likely to be fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

About three weeks is right currently, recently took that long for my full bike and provisional car licences to come through.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

mloc123 wrote:
    I rang the motor tax office in Naas today to see where the hell my car tax is, got a pre-recorded message saying today they are processing applications from the 28th of May!!! Guessing there is a delay all round the country but probably only Kildare :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Car registration is very long if bought from a private seller it seems, was about 7 weeks for mine to come through for the current car bought a few months ago, was suprised as one before that was only about a couple of weeks .
    Tax...do online..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The tax situation is a joke, opening hours 9.30am to 3pm monday to friday?? I work monday to friday and don't fancy having to drive over to nass then into town some morning(with traffic 2hr trip maybe).

The online system is okay once you have the renewal pin thing but when you buy a new car, change address etc.. on the log book you can't just logon and tax it :( They need a better system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I lived in the UK for a few years - you can tax your car at any post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mloc123 wrote:
    The tax situation is a joke, opening hours 9.30am to 3pm monday to friday?? I work monday to friday and don't fancy having to drive over to nass then into town some morning(with traffic 2hr trip maybe).

The online system is okay once you have the renewal pin thing but when you buy a new car, change address etc.. on the log book you can't just logon and tax it :( They need a better system.

As more people tax their cars online, queues in the tax office will shorten, They already open during lunch hour.

That said I'm always shocked at how little preperation people do before approaching the counter. forms not filled in. forms not stamped by Gardai when trying to claim cars off the road. insurance certs missing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Longfield wrote:
    Car registration is very long if bought from a private seller it seems, was about 7 weeks for mine to come through for the current car bought a few months ago, was suprised as one before that was only about a couple of weeks .
    Tax...do online..

Thats a ridiculous time frame, the last 2 cars i bought i received my Registration in 11 working days or so

My sister recently bought a car on a monday morning(2 weeks ago) and had the registration the following monday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I called into Cork County Hall recently, and had my 3rd provisional issued to me in 10 minutes. I couldn't praise them highly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i found out what took so long. apparently castleknock is in dublin 5 :mad: (its in dublin 15). so it took three weeks, two calls to the motor tax office (the first of which didn't mention that the address was wrong even though he asked me for it) and two calls to different sorting offices to get my license and my birth cert back. and after that the address is printed wrong on it. somebody at the motor tax office is in serious need of a kick up the arse

i'm glad i didn't send in my passport. i'm going away next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

mloc123 wrote:
    Can't you do it by post ? I get my renewal in the post, fill it in, send it off with the cheque and it's back in about three days. That's Galway, mind.

Del

Advertisement