Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alot of helicopters over Tallaght lately?!

Options
  • 12-06-2006 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

This thread was originally about the water being out in Tallaght, but I've changed it now to save having another thread :D

Has anyone else noticed that there have been aLOT of helicopters over Tallaght recently? I'd hazard to say that there has been a helicopter hovering in my area almost every night for the past week.

Maybe it's just my imagination... anyone else noticed it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye, burst pipe somewhere. everyones is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The_B_Man wrote:
    ye, burst pipe somewhere. everyones is gone.
    grand, cheers boss

it came back last night by the way, so it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

what would helicopters have to do with a burst pipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My cats name is Polly

• Advertisement

Is it a helicopter pilot because if its not Im not interested

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Are those guys in the Black Helicopters stealing our water again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

can answer both of these actualy, first the helicopter. its the gardai one, theyve been buzzing my area in clondalkin/lucan as well. think its just a roster thing, they always turn up if somethings going on but tend to buzz different areas of the city on a random basis just in case. i have noticed one that looks like the celtic helicopters type knocking around as well but odds are its heading to baldonal.

now to the water pipe, on monday (12th june)some muppet hit a water mains on the belgard road near the intersection with the maelreuans graveyard near DID electrical. circa 2 oclock, flooded the whole damn area though the road acted like a riverbed . i was trying to get to smiths to pick up a videogame and gave up trying to cross. the water flowed in down the road into the area in by mizonnis and chartbusters and then out by the aberly, looked like a waterfall over the speed bumps. luckily for DID the slope meant the river diverted away from them otherwise the wole place wouldve been flooded . the whole road past the roundabout towards the park on the left hand side looked like a river with cars plowing through it.

incidently i think they may have hit the electrics for the square when they hit that pipe cause when i came in the cinema ,hmv, 3g store and a few other were without power. and all the fridges and tills in tescos were out. coming in from the ground floor and looking straight ahead it looked like it took out almost all of the right hand side of the square on all 3 levels.
    wonder who's gonna get the flak for thisone :D

Cheers for that constitutionus! You're a fountain of knowledge! :D

• Advertisement

cant believe i missed the attempt to drown tallaght. Back to the drawing board :p

:mad:

thats the tallaght look alright .

and here you are with your mates

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:p

I keeeeeel you Rathfarnham poshos!!! :mad: (I think that's where you're from :confused:)

Grimes wrote:
    cant believe i missed the attempt to drown tallaght. Back to the drawing board :p

ah your just jealous cause we nearly got free kayaking and you didnt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Theres always lots of helipcopters going round coolock as well, waking me up!
    I assume they're garda helicopters what with it being coolock and such.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Theres always lots of helipcopters going round coolock as well, waking me up!
    I assume they're garda helicopters what with it being coolock and such.

Or it could be the fact that the Airport is just up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

or it could be that they got a few new helicopters and they;re breakin them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

The helipcopters are usually accompanied by garda cars speeding round and blaring sirens though, so i do usually assume they're garda helipcopters.
    Plus ones from the airport wouldn't fly back and forth over my house for an hour.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

the gardia only have two helicopters
    a as350n squirrel
    and a eurocopter EC135
    I got to go flying in the older as550n when i was in baldonnel for my university work experience (the EC135 arrived while we were there and it was all hush hush)
    Got to see some joyriders in finglas acting the pr1ck on motorbikes, we were so far away they had no idea we were watching them!

• Advertisement

isnt the halogen lamp on a garda helicoptor so strong that theyre not allowed to go lower than a certain height cause it'd burn the people in the spot light? i heard an urban legend in tallaght where some drunk guy was trying to get em to fly low enough to heat his curry and chips :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

DaveMcG wrote:
    Cheers for that constitutionus! You're a fountain of knowledge! :D
    Fountain! Very good....!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

thats a bit exaggerated! if they turn it on near the ground the reflected heat will damage the light. The pilots did tell me that it will dry a wet runway quite quickly so I guess they were testing that particular warning in the flight manual...
    It is strong tho, on a wide beam it will light up a football stadium. they can vary the width of the beam do i imagine they might possibly heat your curry chips on the narrow setting tho you'll probably go deaf first from being that close to it. Both helis have two turboshaft jet engines each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

People going to City West Hotel? Golf & Gym ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

tallaght and garda helicopters its like jelly and icecream.... think we get a bit more coverage than other places maybe im just sayin that cuz my lack of sleep, where i love in tallaght they actaully have a tendancy to hover and its ssssoooo annoying!!!!!!! cant they go a bit high-tech and get a quiet one, like come on get with the programme

Well I've stood outside No. 1 Hanger in Baldonnell and watched the newer EC135 fly by at about 10 feet off the ground, (I was no more than 50m away) and I have to say its one quiet heli. The older one is much louder tho. Its because of the turbulence from the unshrouded tail rotor. I've practically stood under the older one for a vibration test while wearing post army deafness ear defenders and fcek me its loud. I've attached a pic, apologies about the quality as it was taken with an old film camera (got my first digital after it died over the Sally gap in an Allouette).
    The 355 flew over here yesterday a few time loud as ever :o

looks like a eurocopter, nice to see the goverment spending our money in the EU

tom-thebox wrote:
    looks like a eurocopter, nice to see the goverment spending our money in the EU

It not like they have a choice, they tried to buy Sikorski helis but Eurocopter sued and now here we are upgrading to a eurocopter fleet. Heres a pic of the newer EC135 (also a eurocopter) This was taken right after it was delivered and the pilots over torqued one of the engines on one of their first flights. Was out of action for a few weeks after that. I think they didn't learn their lesson tho, heard stories of them trying to barrel roll the thing.
    Ah i miss the Air Corps :rolleyes:

It can be fun to watch who wins the garda tenders :D

• Advertisement

yeah its not like the equipment they're getting has anything to do with the decision...

Advertisement