Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomendation

Options
  • 12-06-2006 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hyia all:

I have a "RADEON 9800XT ( S/T 97P/96P )" . I play alot of games so I need my graphics to be up to spec. My problem is World of Warcraft and Battlefield 2. (BTW my comp is a good one but i feel its my graphics letting me down) On battlefield i have to have it on the lowest graphics settings and even then its ****e slow! WoW: Example today i was playing and it kept closing down and an error came up "Graphics Card is not repsonding to commands". What i am wondering is whether to buy a new one(if so what what would you reccomend (about 100-200€ to spend)); do something with my current one; or do something with my games. :(:(

Any Advice is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You might want to try updating your graphics card drivers to see if it fixes any of the problems your having.

That said AGP isn't catered to well for with graphics cards these days so your choice is limited from what Komplett have in stock the €136 X1600 Pro on the lower end and the €235 6800GS on the high end of the scale are reasonable recommendations.

If you can find one like at OcUK or Elara an AGP 6600GT is another option, basically all are faster than your existing 9800XT but by varying amounts but also permit greater details to be enabled etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

ah my friend i am a bit of a wiz i suppose you could call me - i update my drivers regulary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Sounds like a software conflict of some sort but yeah it's not a an easy one to diagnose.

Any of the cards above will allow you to play with increased details though bear in mind not the max in BF2's case although the 6800GS of all of them is about the most powerful of the bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Clearly something is wrong with your card, perhaps a driver issue, because the 9800xt can definately run bf2 at medium to high settings usually and Wow at high no problems....an upgrade wouldn't go amiss either but before you do, make sure you find the root of the problem because at the moment it is clearly no performing as it should at all.

I wouldn' really think the 6600gt is worth calling it an upgrade from a 9800xt, not a massive performance difference... If your going to upgrade might as well go a bit further then that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Its the card alrite, i'd the same problem with my 7800, it would get all patchy and after it was on for 30 mins or so, i'd get the graphics card not responding to command issue. As for a card i'd go with the X800 GTO here : http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=318812

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Thanks for all the comments :)

Advertisement