Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN same subnet

Options
  • 12-06-2006 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

what happens when a vpn connects 2 lans on the same subnet, my work uses 192.168.0.x , the same as my home. There are deffinate ip clashes such as 0.1

pinging this address must cause problems ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Depends on the VPN client(/system) you use. Some can handle that type of situation seamlessly, some can't. What are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Wizzard says, it depends on the client, and how they're configured. Some clients disable local network access, thus forcing all of your traffic through the VPN adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

Sonicwalls need to be on a differnt Subnet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Most VPN solutions use different subnets as a way of preventing IP conflicts on opposite ends and also as an easy way of knowing where to send traffic.

Would you not just hop ur home network to 192.168.1.x

assumeing ur subnet mask is the standard 255.255.255.0

This issue pops up in the open vpn docs and the suggestion is just move ur network off the default 192.168.0.x

If you could get the other endpoint to change the remote server to change to another range it would stop issues popping up when your at another companies site or a hotspot/internet cafe/wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

tech wrote:
    Sonicwalls need to be on a differnt Subnet
    That isn't actually true, but it does simplify the set-up somewhat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Server : windows server 2003
    Client : windows xp prof
    Router : Netgear DG834

I think I will change my home subnet , just to be on the safe side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Maybe use 10.x.x.x on your home subnet ? In case you're using it from another desk at the company that happens to be on 192.168.1 or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

For this reason we use a 'weird' subnet for our vpn users in work, one unlikely to be used by anybody's home network. Their traffic is firewalled from the rest of our network which uses an entirely different ip range again.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

as is this does not work full stop, if your computer is using say 192.168.1.1 and the computer on the other site is in the same subnet e.g 192.168.1.2 , when you try to ping or access is you computer will look at it routing table an see that you are 192.168.1.0/24 if will never even try to send the traffic to the router so it can never get inside a vpn tunell. there is one way to make this work but it requires the use of address transforms and nat pools whereby you can map say the address 172.16.1.1 to 192.168.1.2 , this way from you pc you connect to 172.16.1.1 but the firewall know to redirect it accross the vpn and readdress it to 192.168.1.2 on the far side. sufficed to say this kind of functionality is generally not common in home routers or firewall, its also propablt less hassle to readdress on side of you network.

Damien.

Advertisement