Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoo care?!?

Options
  • 12-06-2006 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

just got my first tattoo(needless to say i will be getting many others :p) but i was wondering what is the best cream to use? mine has gone scabby and small flakes have fallen from it, will this mean the tattoo is ruined or does this happen normally?

also whats the best thing to stop it itching?!? i feel like getting a belt sander and using it on my arm !

its a "palydrom" where a word reads 2 things in opposite directions, cud sumone guve me the correct spelling for it! thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

palindrome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

The scabs are normal. When you got the tattoo the needle broke your skin causing it to bleed which gave you a scab. As long as you don't scratch it or pick at it the tattoo will be ok. It should stop scabbing in a week or so if I recall. I was told to use Preparation H cream on my tattoo and I also soaked it in warm water and patted it dry every evening. This helps to remove/loosen the scabs without damaging the tattoo. I basically soaked a face cloth in warm water and held it down on my tattoo without rubbing it. Then I patted it dry with a towel, again making sure not to rub it. I also took care not to rub it with my hands/sponge in the shower. I've heard using a very very mild moisturiser is good too, I used Nivea Cream and never had any problems. As for itching I have no suggestions except try not to think about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

I'm kinda worried that the person who did the tattoo for you didn't go through after-care before you left the studio....

Whats the story with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

If its itchy a good sharp slap gives a bit of relief on that side, personally iuse bephanten for the first few days til the scabs are goent hen switch to a moisturiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

I used bepanthen (sp?) on mine too - healed in less than a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

thanks for all the help lads. i made a ****in huge error last night, i left a bandage over it so i woke up with the bandage glued to my arm. just lucky im not a complete tard or i wud have just ripped that off :p thank god for warm water!

i was using e45 cream but its ****in useless :/ and yeah the lads in the tattoo place gave me sum rough pointers but that was it. its taht place across the road from "cannabis" and near urban outfitters in temple bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Sm0ke wrote:
    thanks for all the help lads. i made a ****in huge error last night, i left a bandage over it so i woke up with the bandage glued to my arm. just lucky im not a complete tard or i wud have just ripped that off :p thank god for warm water!

i was using e45 cream but its ****in useless :/ and yeah the lads in the tattoo place gave me sum rough pointers but that was it. its taht place across the road from "cannabis" and near urban outfitters in temple bar.

I never use a bandage, I only wear the cling film from the studio to my house to stop all my clothes getting messed up then I take it off.

Once I take off the clingey then I wash gently under the tap with soap and warm water, then I apply the Bepanthen.
    E45 should be fine, I dont know what your problem could be, it's not the E45, unless you can elaborate and tell me why it's useless?

Classic Ink is the one you're talking about I think.

It's not rocket science to heal out a scab.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

i dunno i use e45 for my hands cause i have dermatitis, im just being paranoid because a few black flakes fell off :( and an estonian guy i work with was telling me all kinds of crazy ****. he ahs his tatoo for 6 years and it still looks new :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 olly

Bepanthen did the trick for me, if its itchy it should stop it coz its a nappy rash cream!!!
    Hope that's helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Do not use a bandage.

Alot of people recommend Bepanthen (I know y artist did) but it seems to vary from place to place.

Personally I do the following.

Clingfilm for first couple of hours. Then wash with warm soapy water and wipe down with a disenfectant. I then use an antibiotic cream for the first day or 2 (I use one with a local anesthetic if it itches) and after that a good moistureiser. One without a scent ot beeswax. I have heard Vaseline intensive care recomended but I just use any good brand name. I use the moistureiser for at least 2 to 3 weeks after getting the tattoo. Remember the sun will fade your tattoo so use a high factor sun screen. Avoid soaking the tattoo (or swimming) ofr 2 to 3 weeks.

Keep it clean and dry, protect from infection and keep it moisturised then you should be OK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sandie-B

i only have a small tattoo (theatre masks) so this might be a bit messy on a bigger one but i found that a good spread of vaseline (petroleum jelly not moisturiser) killed the itch and kept the scab soft enough so that it didn't catch in my clothes and get pulled off.

the rest of the advice (espec knipex) seems pretty sound but i personally like simple solutions where ever i can get them!!

Knipex:

what antibiotic cream do u use? is it over the counter or does your gp write a perscription for you? (im getting another (bigger) one done at the end of the summer so just in case!!)

Advertisement