Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic ladder opening problem

Options
  • 13-06-2006 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello there,

I've bought an attic Ladder from Woodies.

The opening into my attic was too short and too narrow for the new ladder.

Now, the opening is too long and too narrow... some progress I guess!

Making the opening longer was quite easy, but making it wider is a problem as the sides of the opening are bounded by two joists. The space between the joists is 57cm - I need 58 cm.

Apart from buying a new ladder, I guess my options are:
    • plane 5mm off sides of joists - this would be a lot of hard work :rolleyes:
    • cut one joist out and replace it - I fear this would damage the ceiling below
    • Anything else :confused:

Planing is what I'm thinking of doing, and re-enforcing the joists by screwing timber parallel.

Watdoyouthink?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Speaking as a layman, I would see any changes or DIY modifications to your joists as being a bad thing, espicially just to fit an attic ladder in.

Structural implications, voiding your house insurance, homebound complications and possibly breaking fire regulations, are just some of the things that come to mind, although i'm sure that i'm probably overreacting a tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭oneillk

hi,
    i had the exact same problem. I tried planing too, but was getting nowhere. very hard work. So after about two weeks of messing i finally figured i could just place it on top of the joists. Add some battens on the outer sides to fix the lader back to the joist with them then polyfilled the joists and sealed the joints and painted the revele white.
    Looks good and better than messing with structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Doh

That's very interesting K. It looks like a great idea...

It would make positioning the ladder frame a lot easier too as you just place it down on the joists without having to dangle it down on ropes from above or fix temporary holders on the ceiling below.

I can't quite picture how you use the battons to fix the ladder to the joists though. Can you explain a bit more?

Do you think lenghts of 2x2 placed on top of the two joists outside the ladder frame sides would be suitable, with this timber screwed down to the joists and the ladder frame screwed to the timber?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭oneillk

sorry i didn explain that very well. I will try take a phone pic and post after luch. easier than tryin to explain but its pretty much what you have suggested anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Doh

that'd be great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tlyons

I did the cut the joist and move it then re-attach. Its a big job, requiring several cross bracing joists. After doing the job I think actually the roof is stonger. You will need serveral meters of similar sized planks to make into cross braces.

If you think you can get away with planing then why not invest in a electric plane.

Advertisement