Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving alone on a provisional

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Keedowah wrote:
    Its illegal to drive on a provisional without a fully licenced driver beside you, end of story, no problem. But Nelly there is no need to be an insulting ars*hole. Dont call people slow.

Thanks for the personal insult. Didn't call anyone slow, it was a general observation that everyone now included the work letter, don't think it actual makes any difference.

If you want to use personal insult then please go somewhere else. Its not allowed on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Keedowah wrote:
    Big Nelly - i know where you stand on the whole issue - and i dont want to argue about that - but when you come out with cr*p like this its another thing. People on L plates "cant be bothered" to take the test!!! Where have you been for the last 10 years! The waiting list in most area's is about a year. I am sure that the majority of people on L plates want to get a full licence asap.
    Keedowah wrote:
    The average waiting time is 43.3 weeks - it can range from 28 weeks to 60 weeks.

With an average waiting time of 43.3 weeks, there is no need for 2nd or even 3rd provisional licences, as mostly everyone can do the driving test before it expires. As there are still many people out there driving on their 2nd or 3rd licence, it means that they either couldn't be bothered to do their test or are so cr*p in driving, that they shouldn't be allowed on the road in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The excuse of being out of the country is bollix unless you had to go at very short notice because all you have to do is ring the DOE in ballina or westport or castlebar or whereever the office is and let them know you will be away, if you're due to be called during this time, you'll be bumped back until after your return date, not to the end of the queue.

As has been said before, being prepared to accept a cancellation time slot at short notice will get you a test quicker and all of the tests are schedulled from the one office so the 'well it might work there but it doesn't work here' excuse is also bollix.

Anybody who gets to their 3rd provisional license must have failed the test or not bothered applying, or maybe they just thaught they'd be smart and get their first before they started driving so they could drive on their own straight away. Well time's up after your second, you're not so smart now. There are no excuses, even with the length of the queues, you've easily got enough time to sit through the full queue 3 or even 4 times before you get onto your 3rd provisional and that's without taking the cancellation at short notice route. So the whole 'I'm a great driver but the queue for the test is just so long' excuse is also bollix.

So you've got 3 to 4 chances to pass your test, more if you're prepared to do it at short notice, that's more than lenient enough as far as I'm concerned. In germany, if you fail your test x number of times (I think it's 3 but I'm not certain) you're referred for a psychological assessment to determine if you should be allowed take it ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

You have to be a bit slow if you don't include the work letter.

Lots of people here didn't include a letter from work when applying. Therefore you are calling them slow - i took offence to it - i felt insulted - anyone else?
    don't think it actual makes any difference

then howcome you insist that by including it you get your test within 2 weeks??
    If you want to use personal insult then please go somewhere else. Its not allowed on here.

I think i have been quite fair - i took offence to what you said - i think you could make your point without your jibes and insults. If the mods think that i am being insulting can they please let me know?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Big Nelly wrote:
    You have to be a bit slow if you don't include the work letter. Grand so offices might not give them out but just type up a letter with a fake managers name and sign it yourself. Its not like they ring the office to check if you really got the letter:eek:

well i didn't include a work letter so you called me slow and most of my family, which is personal abuse

Typing a letter and signing anothers name is fraud

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote:
    The excuse of being out of the country is bollix unless you had to go at very short notice because all you have to do is ring the DOE in ballina or westport or castlebar or whereever the office is and let them know you will be away, if you're due to be called during this time, you'll be bumped back until after your return date, not to the end of the queue.

As has been said before, being prepared to accept a cancellation time slot at short notice will get you a test quicker and all of the tests are schedulled from the one office so the 'well it might work there but it doesn't work here' excuse is also bollix.

Anybody who gets to their 3rd provisional license must have failed the test or not bothered applying, or maybe they just thaught they'd be smart and get their first before they started driving so they could drive on their own straight away. Well time's up after your second, you're not so smart now. There are no excuses, even with the length of the queues, you've easily got enough time to sit through the full queue 3 or even 4 times before you get onto your 3rd provisional and that's without taking the cancellation at short notice route. So the whole 'I'm a great driver but the queue for the test is just so long' excuse is also bollix.

So you've got 3 to 4 chances to pass your test, more if you're prepared to do it at short notice, that's more than lenient enough as far as I'm concerned. In germany, if you fail your test x number of times (I think it's 3 but I'm not certain) you're referred for a psychological assessment to determine if you should be allowed take it ever again.

Has anyone else noticed that there is no option on the online application to take a cancellation, that really annoyed me. I would sit my test tomorrow if it was offered to me

Vegeta wrote:
    well i didn't include a work letter so you called me slow and most of my family, which is personal abuse

Typing a letter and signing anothers name is fraud

It doesn't have to be from work, it doesn't even have to be from another person, all it has to say is that you need to do the test asap and will take a cancellation timeslot at short notice. Anyone who has already sent in their application should have got a response saying their application has been recieved with a referance number. All they need to do is send in a letter now, quoting this referance number saying they need their test quickly and will do it at short notice.

Vegeta wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed that there is no option on the online application to take a cancellation, that really annoyed me. I would sit my test tomorrow if it was offered to me

There's no option anywhere, it's an additional piece of correspondance that can be added to your application at any time once you have the reference number.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Vegeta wrote:
    I noticed that too when reapplying so rang them. They say to apply as normal then when you get the confirmation reference number, send them a letter with it requesting a cancellation (and a letter from work if you can get it).

That's what I did anyway.

[Edit: Damn you Alias! *shakes fist* :D]

First i heard of this. Where did you hear about it?

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote:
    There's no option anywhere, it's an additional piece of correspondance that can be added to your application at any time once you have the reference number.

I was nearly sure there was an option on my brothers test application form, a tick box which you could tick if you were willing to take a cancellation. Does anyone have the form handy??

It doesn't have to be from work, it doesn't even have to be from another person, all it has to say is that you need to do the test asap and will take a cancellation timeslot at short notice. Anyone who has already sent in their application should have got a response saying their application has been recieved with a referance number. All they need to do is send in a letter now, quoting this referance number saying they need their test quickly and will do it at short notice.

This is not the case - i asked them for a cancellation - and was told that I could ONLY get it if i got a letter from my employer. The letter needed the company registration number and all contact details on it.

alias no.9 wrote:

Yes but i was responding to a particular poster who was saying send a letter from work. I will definitely send a letter requesting a cancellation no problem but i cant get one from work.

As everyone is probably doing this now it mightn't improve things much but i can hope

Keedowah wrote:
    First i heard of this. Where did you hear about it?

It's right there on the application form, periods of unavailability, exams, holidays, etc... You can ring or write to update your application form at any time. I contacted them on behalf of my girlfriend last year when she was doing exams. She had rang up and cancelled because she was afraid they would clash. I contacted them straight away and not only were they happy and able to 'uncancel' but they updated the periods of unavailability, no problem. There's a huge bottleneck in the system but by contacting them and explaining things to them, you'll find they're both helpful and flexible.

thanks for that.

I do have a letter in now for 3 weeks from my new employer - and i have no trips planned over the next few weeks - so hopefully i wont have to contact them again.

Keedowah wrote:
    This is not the case - i asked them for a cancellation - and was told that I could ONLY get it if i got a letter from my employer. The letter needed the company registration number and all contact details on it.

Send in the letter anyway. Tell them why you need the test quickly, personal circumstances, need to commute to work in an area without public transport, planning on going abroad and need a license, etc, etc, etc... Whatever your own reasons, tell them and if there are dates, tell them this too.

I do need it for my new job - i got the letter from my new company and sent it in. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Right, enough of the crap! Big Nelly quit trolling and generally stirring it up, there's no point in complaining about abuse from the moral high ground (faking letters?!) when you go looking for a reaction . Reminds me of another thread in Soccer tbh.

I'm locking this thread as its clearly serving no useful purpose.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement