Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European countries set broadband coverage target at 90%+

Options
  • 13-06-2006 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

A total of 34 European countries have committed to improving internet access. Ministers from the EU, as well as ministers from accession and candidate countries, signed an agreement in Riga, Latvia, to implement a series of "e-inclusion" targets. The countries want to see broadband internet coverage in Europe increased to at least 90 percent by 2010. Although last year broadband was available to more than 90 percent in urban areas in the EU15, that isn't the case in all European countries – and, even in the EU 15, in rural and remote areas internet is only available to 60 percent of businesses and households. The countries have also pledged to halve the gap in internet use to groups at risk of being excluded from the technology, groups like elderly people, people with disabilities and the unemployed. By 2010, all public websites must be accessible to all citizens and by 2008, schemes will be put in place to train groups at risk of exclusion in using the internet. Information Society and Media commissioner Viviane Reding welcomed the agreement, stating millions of Europeans were at risk of being left behind in the internet age. "Enabling all Europeans to participate on equal terms in the information society is not only a social necessity – it is a huge economic opportunity for industry," she said.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bealtine wrote:
    A total of 34 European countries have committed to improving internet access. Ministers from the EU, as well as ministers from accession and candidate countries, signed an agreement in Riga, Latvia, to implement a series of "e-inclusion" targets.

I was wondering where Noel was but unless he is the one at the back I do not believe he made it to the gig in Riga and neither did his minister of state. Frankly he can sign anything he wants because it will not make a blind bit of difference to him or his department and he will no longer be minister for comms in a years time anyway .

Noel probably emailed them and told them he had 90% population coverage already...likely because he honestly believes GPRS gets him there :( He also glossed over the fact that Ireland is not Important, and thats official , on the record and uncorrected by you Noel is it not ??
    In some Member States – the Netherlands, Finland, Denmark, Belgium and Sweden – broadband already accounts for 20% of all internet connections or more. But in others, including Greece, Ireland, Italy, Portugal and all of the new EU Member States, except Estonia, broadband's share is still below 10%. Even important economies such as Germany are just average performers.

By 2010, if the EU's “Broadband for all” policy is supported by all 25 EU Member States, Europe should be able to get close to 100% broadband coverage

Nobody from Ireland was asked to speak
    , they got the Estonians , who know what they are at, to stand up instead .

In a way we should not have been there, we are only embarrassing ourselves. These Euro Jollies are depressing me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

bealtine wrote:
    The countries want to see broadband internet coverage in Europe increased to at least 90 percent by 2010.

Ah but is that 90% coverage as in 90% of the population will have working BB available to them, 90% of the population will be on BB enabled lines (line failures distance etc ignored), 90% of the land mass will have BB?

Sounds great but leaves some large holes for everyone to wander through.

"Enabling all Europeans to participate on equal terms in the information society is not only a social necessity – it is a huge economic opportunity for industry," she said.

Must repeat that phrase to chambers of commerce in the BMW regions next time I meet them. Particularly while they lament Google and eBay residing in Dublin. Then watch the various versions of "DOH" accompanied by "Thanks for pointing out the blindingly obvious" looks pointed in my direction.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote:

Nobody from Ireland was asked to speak
    , they got the Estonians , who know what they are at, to stand up instead .
    (

It's a long time since I've heard Ireland described as a backward country...but thanks to my Estonian neighbours I've heard it recently. They simply could not believe how backward Ireland was when it came to bb.

These guys are not technos they are carpenters and bricklayers...to them bb is an essential fact of life.

Advertisement