Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil V Croatia

• 13-06-2006 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing Brazil, should prove too strong for an ageing Croatian team.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

bohsman wrote:
    Looking forward to seeing Brazil, should prove too strong for an ageing Croatian team.

Dont bank on it. Brazil are over rated up against an experienced defensive traditionally strong footballing side. I wouldn't bet on Brazil today at the odds on offer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

I think Brazil will win today by three goals,they've got too much going forward,but i think when they come up against a strong side with pace in attack like France,they could be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I reckon 2-1 to Brazil, or 2-0 ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

finnpark wrote:
    Dont bank on it. Brazil are over rated up against an experienced defensive traditionally strong footballing side. I wouldn't bet on Brazil today at the odds on offer. :)

Why do you say they are over-rated? They finished top of the South American qualifying group. Losing only 2 out of 18 matches.
    They've won their only warm up game 4-0.

Their squad includes: Ronaldinho (World Player of the Year),
    Kaka( 8th in World player of the year,Voted best midfielder in last years Champions League)
    Adriano: 22 goals in 34 matches for Brazil. 25 in 46 for Inter.
    Ronaldo: Deemed a failure at Real having only scored 68 goals in 97 games! Has also managed 61 goals in 97 internationals and needs just 3 more goals to become the all time leading World Cup goalscorer.
    Roberto Carlos, Cichinho, Juninho, Gilberto, Ze Roberto and Robinho can play a bit too.
    Brazil are expected to go far in this tournament because they have such a good squad. I don't think thats over-rating them at all.

Croatia: In their last 3 matches they've lost To Poland and Spain and their "experienced defensive" unit let 2 in against the mighty Iran where nthey drew 2-2. Topped a poor group in qualifying with Sweden coming second (That form doesn't look too hot now).

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

I am sure it will be an entertaining one. Brasil is of course my favourite but the Croatian side is for sure a strong opponent.
    I hope it will be a good start for the champions, I say 3-1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Im going with 4-1 Brazil, There to strong going foward & are not over-rated, They won the Confedrations Cup in style beating Argentina 4-1 in the final, won the Copa America in 04 & finished top in there qualifying group. And i think they'll have it easy in this group & we wont see any shocks, just beautiful football ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I reckon this match will be a flop because I have such high expectations!

Can't wait to see Ronnie in action again and Ronaldo (who despite carrying more weight is still quality). I also wanna get a look at Srna because alot was said about him throughout qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I can't wait to see Brazil play. Pighead's analysis of their team says it all, we know they are magic in attack. I really can't see Croatia, or most other teams, being able to contain the famous "front four" for 90 minutes. I predict 3-0 to Brazil.

Joga Bonito to prevail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Pighead wrote:
    Why do you say they are over-rated? They finished top of the South American qualifying group. Losing only 2 out of 18 matches.
    They've won their only warm up game 4-0.

Their squad includes: Ronaldinho (World Player of the Year),
    Kaka( 8th in World player of the year,Voted best midfielder in last years Champions League)
    Adriano: 22 goals in 34 matches for Brazil. 25 in 46 for Inter.
    Ronaldo: Deemed a failure at Real having only scored 68 goals in 97 games! Has also managed 61 goals in 97 internationals and needs just 3 more goals to become the all time leading World Cup goalscorer.
    Roberto Carlos, Cichinho, Juninho, Gilberto, Ze Roberto and Robinho can play a bit too.
    Brazil are expected to go far in this tournament because they have such a good squad. I don't think thats over-rating them at all.

Croatia: In their last 3 matches they've lost To Poland and Spain and their "experienced defensive" unit let 2 in against the mighty Iran where nthey drew 2-2. Topped a poor group in qualifying with Sweden coming second (That form doesn't look too hot now).

Going mostly on what Ive seen from Brazil. They are classy but are well beatable more than ever. It all depends on how strong Croatia are but I reckon they will shut up shop and go for a 0-0. If Brazil score 1st they will go on to win but breaking down Croatia could prove difficult.

In fairness warm up matches count for absolutely nothing. Interesting match though and I just have a gut feeling Croatia could cause a bit of an upset.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I reckon an upset could be on the cards tonight. So far all the big guns have won their matches which is quite unusual in World Cup terms.

• Advertisement

Big pressure on Croatia for the first 20 minutes, just now they started to keep the ball in Brasil's half... Great shot Ronaldinho and great save Pletikosa.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

'Always plays with a smile on his face' Ronaldinho gestures for Kovac to get booked, no doubt it'll be ignored though.

Kaka, What a goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

1-0 brazil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It needed that.....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Adriano and Ronaldo have been awful so far.Is Adriano fit as he looks lacklustre ?

Ronaldo will get better, I am sure of that. I hope in a second half with more goals, I still believe that 3-1 will be the final score :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Croatia playing super negative (lol why not like) and it was working sort of 3 vs 2 at the back with ronaldinho and kaka bein isolated with 3 players around them and full backs every time. Croatia know brazils 2 mids wont push too far or try go forward so are swamping the wings and strikers, game on now they have to push someone up front to try score or play as is and not get a hiding.

Good to see the "dodgy" Brazil defending well and breaking down a well organised defense.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

ronaldo NEVER runs as the ball approaches through the middle. BBC keep making a big deal of it.

A bit harsh on Croatia to be a goal down i think,though it was a cracking finish.Theres more goals in it for Brazil,i would like to see Ronaldo get the goals he needs to beat the record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Duras wrote:
    Ronaldo will get better,

Heh, first time I read that I thought you said "Ronaldo will get fatter". I was thinking "impossible!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Fantastic goal...

Very good start of second half for Croatia, lets see if they can keep up.

Another great chance Ronaldinho and again the Croatian keeper makes a good save. But the big pressure is on Dida. Croatia seem strong enough to score if Brasil don't change something.

And they replaced Ronaldo with Robinho...

this game is`nt over yet,croatia look pretty decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

'Always plays with a smile on his face' Ronaldinho gestures for Kovac to get booked, no doubt it'll be ignored though.
    I thought I was the only one who noticed that... Meh. He's a God to everyone though (despite a quite spectacularly inept performance for the CL final) so ya can't criticise.

Plus I'm a bit biased... Unlike everyone else (except maybe Argentina) I hate Brazil.

Croatia have been ok. Never really threaten though.

I don't hate Brazil but they're the last team I want to win the World Cup. Portugal impressed me the other night so they no longer have the accolade.

Brazil could very easily win the next 2 world cups given their squad age and the host venues, so hopefully they won't win this one. The prospect of watching the opening game of WC2018, with the 8-times world champions having won the competition four-times in a row, thinking to myself "I wonder if we'll have the first world cup final in 28 years that doesn't feature Brazil..." doesn't really appeal tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think this idea of disliking a team just because they are successful is crazy (esp at International level).

I say if they are the best team at the next 4 world cups then I've no qualms with them winning them all.

It's boring.

Looks Brazil are off to a winning start anyway.

• Advertisement

Final whistle... 1-0... I was hoping for a more entertaining game to be honest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

perhaps this display might do something to dispel the Brazil/Ronaldinho myth. Nothing but hype.

Croatia were unlucky, could have gotten a result with a little more composure in front of goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brazil scrape 1-0 win! They were pretty poor, Ronaldo is nothing but an ad for the perils of a fast food lifestyle. If the Croats had a dead-eye striker they could have won that by a goal or two.

Mike.

brazil were very average,too much hype around them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Croatis with their 7 man back four :confused: ensured brazil would not be cutting them open at will.

Tbh i dont think Brazil will have a harder game against such a tough team in the rest of the WC. Croatia werent dirty dirty but they ensured players didnt get where they were going with niggly fouls. ref was awful gave away frees for nothing and let 2 footed lunges go.

next game please.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Kaka my man main at player of the tournament at 24/1 is on course :)

Brazil were crap, but to be honest, it's the first game, and no top team has preformed well. I think by the end of the group stages, we'll know which team.

The way BBC and RTE are going on every team, none of them will be able to win the tourney :)

Ronaldo and Adriano were poor, but I still have money on Ronaldo being top scorer and I expect to be paid off.

• Advertisement

Brazil were not exactly amazing really.Of the quartet of Kaka,Ronaldinho Adriano and Ronaldo only the former 2 managed to live up to their hype.I thought before that Brazil wont win the world cup and i still feel this way.

Croatia probably should have got a result tonight,they had a few decent shots on goal.Italy and Argentina were both more impressive than Brazil imo.

First of all fair play to Croatia. Second of all what's wrong with Pierra? He made 1 substitute in the whole match when clearly Brazil were terrible in the center of middfield & he's got Juninho & Gilberto Silva on the bench, He let Cafu play a full match which he's clearly not able for anymore & he waits till the 68 minute or something to take of Ronaldo when he should of came of at half time, i didnt see him touch the ball once. The Brazil 2nd string team beat the 1st string team 3-0 the other day which clearly tells ya Pierra is just putting out big name players & not the 1's who are performng

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It's been said a million times in the thread already but I have to echo everyone by saying Ronaldo was a big waste of space tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Shocking performance by Brazil, easily the most boring match of the tournament so far.

I wonder if Ronaldo was carrying an injury (ala 1998 World Cup Final)?

The back 5 of Croatia didn't leave much space for close control around the box.

When will Brazil stop letting Roberto Carlos take free kicks?

easily the most boring match of the tournament so far.

Did you see the France-Switzerland game?

Mike.

• Advertisement

evilhomer wrote:
    Shocking performance by Brazil, easily the most boring match of the tournament so far.

I wonder if Ronaldo was carrying an injury (ala 1998 World Cup Final)?

The back 5 of Croatia didn't leave much space for close control around the box.

When will Brazil stop letting Roberto Carlos take free kicks?

It was actually quite good compared to some of the games we've seen so far, & Roberto Carlos will stop taking free-kicks if that big headed twat Pierra would give Juninho a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Can Ronaldinho handle the pressure? He was poor in the champions league final and wasn't much better tonight. It's pretty obvious that Ronaldinho isn't himself when the only smile you get out of him is a fake one. He's not strolling around the pitch like his confident self. If he was on his best form tonight Brazil would have been a much better team. Kaka was excellent but didn't have much influence on the teams performance.

And what about Hamilton's comment? I really though Prso had a decent game but, oh no, he plays in Scotland so that's what George judges his performance on. :rolleyes:

I kept looking out for this player called 'Jew-one', but could'nt spot him.

Mike.

Ive been saying that kaka will be the player of the tournament & that he's much better than Ronhaldino at the moment for the last 2 months & every one thinks im crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ive been saying that kaka will be the player of the tournament & that he's much better than Ronhaldino at the moment for the last 2 months & every one thinks im crazy

You shouldda put a bet on it, the odds are down from 24/1 to 8/1

tdv wrote:
    That was the best I've seen Kaka play in about a year and Brazil were still poor. He does have a good chance of player of the tournament but I certainly don't think he's as good as Ronnie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

evilhomer wrote:

You obviously didnt watch France and Switzerland earlier on today so.

I love how people here are saying that Brazil are too much hype etc etc etc. It was their first game, against the main contenders in the group. If Brazil had interested strikers they could have won by alot more. That said, I am probably doing the Croats an injustice there, as I felt they impressed for the most part. As mentioned, if they had a top striker (*), they would have scored. But if and buts etc.

Some people just love to knock, christ sake, I even heard some idiot dismissing the entire tournament before an hour had gone in the opener. Stop looking for flaws, so you can come onto an internet forum, and have a "controversial point of view". Accentuate the positives, there were many of which in this evenings game.

* Anyone hear George Hamiltons not so sneaky did at the Scottish League? He said "All due respect to the Scottish League, but if Prso was a top striker, he wouldnt be playing for Rangers"! :D

eirebhoy wrote:
    That was the best I've seen Kaka play in about a year and Brazil were still poor. He does have a good chance of player of the tournament but I certainly don't think he's as good as Ronnie.

At the moment he is performing alot better than Ronhaldino, Ronhaldino did have 1 or 2 rare moments in the match were he showed what he can do but didnt do it enough, Kaka was the only Brazil player working hard & putting a real effort into it. Lucio was impressive aswell

eirebhoy wrote:

Wish I did now, I already had a couple of other bets on tho involving Brazil & Portugal

gimmick wrote:
    * Anyone hear George Hamiltons not so sneaky did at the Scottish League? He said "All due respect to the Scottish League, but if Prso was a top striker, he wouldnt be playing for Rangers"! :D
    I mentioned that above. It is funny to those that don't support SPL football but I thought it was a very ignorant comment to make and if it was a comment about the EL there'd be uproar. I thought Prso played well tonight too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement