Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil V Croatia

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

tdv wrote:
    Ive been saying that kaka will be the player of the tournament & that he's much better than Ronhaldino at the moment for the last 2 months & every one thinks im crazy
    Pigheads sorry to join the hordes who are questioning your sanity but I seem to remember you claiming that kaka was ronaldinhos equal not his superior.
    I THINK YOU'RE CRAAAAZY.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51524595&postcount=42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I must have been watching a different match from what I saw Brazil weren't that bad (apart from Ronaldo and Adriano), they just weren't trying very hard. They'll definitely get better as the tournament progresses and the likes of England will strugle to get a kick against that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Kaka is a class act, but it can't hurt when half the team leg it to the other side of the pitch every time Ronaldinho gets near the ball. Croatia had 8 or 9 man behind the ball any time Brazil had it in their half, 2 or 3 of whom were preoccupied with Ronnie on the left. It's a pretty effective (and dull) way of playing them but scoring will be tough, and with Kaka, Robinho and the smiley one you're bound to be caught on the break going forward, or with a simple piece of magic.

Anyway, I can't really see Brazil being beaten. Sure they are vulnerable at the back but only really if you make yourself vulnerable at the back, and then you have to hope that 4, maybe 5 players have an off day if you want to have any chance - Brazil have so many players who can win a match on their own. Only a solid team with pacy forwards would really seem to have a chance, and with Rooney injured, France gone to the dogs seemingly and Italy not really fitting the bill, Argentina with a fully fit Messi seem the only likely choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Pighead wrote:
    Pigheads sorry to join the hordes who are questioning your sanity but I seem to remember you claiming that kaka was ronaldinhos equal not his superior.
    I THINK YOU'RE CRAAAAZY.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51524595&postcount=42

Thanks Pig, I did say that, Ive been on here about a week. I dont know if im allowed to post links to of other forums on here but if i was i'd posted one to a topic i tittled "Kaka Best Player In The World" pointing out why he is & its about 3 weeks old. I could pm it to you if you would like. The reason i stated Kaka was as good as Ronhaldino is because i got alot of stick over it & lot of people taught i was having a laugh (they where all scousers tho & it ended up becoming a discussion about Steven Gerrad). Anyway judging by tonites perfomance I think Kaka has given alot of evidence to my "outrageous" suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Disappointing game. If some teams like Italy and the Czechs have shortened their odds based on their first round display then Brazil's odds have surely lengthened. Adriano and Ronaldo were particularly poor. Surprised the Brazilian fans booed when Ronaldo was subbed, he clearly wasn't contributing anything to the game. Good goal from Kaka, in a tournament which has seen plenty of great goals even this early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Kaka has always been incredible, people seem to forget in the CL final vs. Liverpool, the reason they were 3-0 down at half time was due to an incredible preformance from Kaka.
    Surprised the Brazilian fans booed when Ronaldo was subbed, he clearly wasn't contributing anything to the game.

He never ever does, until he scores.
    Brazilian fans know this, and thus want to see him stay on, cause he will nearly always score :)

PHB wrote:
    Kaka has always been incredible, people seem to forget in the CL final vs. Liverpool, the reason they were 3-0 down at half time was due to an incredible preformance from Kaka.
    Do you still think he won't win the Player of The Tournament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

mike65 wrote:
    Did you see the France-Switzerland game?

Mike.

Mike,

Nope didn't see that one. but having seen the "highlights", all 15 seconds of them. I retract my previous claim.

Although I have seen every match except the France Vs Switzerland (which going on past meetings was always going to be a bore), so I can still proclaim it second most boring match! :D

KaKa looked good as did Roberto Carlos when he wasn't trying to take set pieces. Juan looked solid enough at the back too.

It would have been to see Croatia get one back and Brazil have to chase the game a little, you just know they had a few gears left.

Do you still think he won't win the Player of The Tournament?
    Kaka my man main at player of the tournament at 24/1 is on course

Confusion :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    perhaps this display might do something to dispel the Brazil/Ronaldinho myth. Nothing but hype.

no.. not hype.. If you've ever seen him play for Barcelona, then you wouldn't be saying that. They are a stunning team, masters of the game. I want Brazil to win the world cup again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

eirebhoy wrote:
    And what about Hamilton's comment? I really though Prso had a decent game but, oh no, he plays in Scotland so that's what George judges his performance on. :rolleyes:
    would he say the same about Larson.

I thought Brazil were very good but I think Croatia were brilliant. I can see them causing a few upsets. They deserved a draw.

would he say the same about Larson.

Nope, but Larsson has a MOM in the CL Final to his name after coming on as a sub.
    I really though Prso had a decent game but, oh no, he plays in Scotland so that's what George judges his performance on.

Nope actually, George pointed out that they lacked the ability to score up front, as evidenced by there, ya know, zero goals. They lacked a top class striker, which was clear to all, and during this comment he said 'Well if he plays for Rangers in Scotland he's unlikely to be a top class striker' a pretty accurate comment, similar to saying, if he plays for West Ham he's unlikely to be a top class striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Shrimp wrote:
    no.. not hype.. If you've ever seen him play for Barcelona, then you wouldn't be saying that. They are a stunning team, masters of the game. I want Brazil to win the world cup again!
    I have seen him play for barcelona. My views on him are well known. He's vastly overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I have seen him play for barcelona. My views on him are well known. He's vastly overrated.

Exactly. It's amazing what the Nike marketting machine can achieve. Ronaldinho is a very good player, but for people to be comparing him to the likes of Maradonna is laughable.

PHB wrote:
    Confusion :)
    No Confusion buddy. You said the other day that even though you thought he'd be the best player in the tournament but you didn't think he would actually win the honour.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51487342&postcount=3

Did you put your money on it regardless of the fact you didn't think he'd win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Brasil 1-0 Hrvatska
    It has to be said it was a good game, at least the start and the 1st half by and large, but not the vast bulk of the 2nd half. If it wasnt for some of Kaka's brilliance, Brazil may never have scored. What is clear is not only that Ronaldo was not at the races, but he was dragging the team down. And his partner up front Adriano also had a poor game, 10 times better than Ronaldo but still poor. This showed when Robinho came on.

Brazil are a good team. But one thing I was surprised about was their celebration of the goal. The becnh went wild. This was just the opening game. This shows to me the huge pressures the team is under to win it again. This psychological aspect may be their undoing time will tell, as will playing Ronaldo in his current shape, or lack thereof. He nearly redeemed himself for his presence by getting a goal from his one shot that whizzed over the bar.

Croatia arent great. They defended deep in numbers and had the luxury of being able to triple-up on Ronaldinho. They should be able to get out of this group though against Australia and Japan.

In terms of how it makes Brazil favourites, I would say that given their 1st 15 mins performance you would think they would be unbeatable. But then there was the other 75 mins. If I was a Brazillian fan, I would wake up today less confident than the day before.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Exactly. It's amazing what the Nike marketting machine can achieve. Ronaldinho is a very good player, but for people to be comparing him to the likes of Maradonna is laughable.
    the emperor has no clothes.

BaZmO* wrote:
    So far all the big guns have won their matches which is quite unusual in World Cup terms.

France is the biggest scalp in the first set of matches. But given the draws they've already had with CH in the qualification group and the fact that these teams no each other so well, a 0-0 draw was in itself not a major shock.

No shocks so far .....

redspider

mike65 wrote:
    I kept looking out for this player called 'Jew-one', but could'nt spot him.

Yeah, that was a George Hamiltonian!

Juan, no.4, plays with a German club, and his name is pronounced WAN, if you speak Portuguese, or indeed Spanish!

His real name is Juan Silveira Dos Santos.

This brings me onto an issue which I think Fifa should have a standard rulling on. Are players allowed to only put their real names on their shirts or can unofficial nicknames and hence anything go?

For example, Ronaldinho is Ronaldo Assis De Moreira, Ronaldo is Luiz Nazario De Lima, so they should have De Moreira and De Lima on their backs if realnames only was the ruling. If players can put down anything wouldnt some countries be tempted to put in advertising there, such as Carlsberg Crouch, Guiness Gerrard, etc, or mre likely, Cuervezo (sp?) Gonzalez (Mexico). ie: if anything goes, anything will go.

We coud have had easily down through ythe years, Packie, Aldo, Quinner, Roy, Stan, Ooh-Ah McGrath, Opel Charlton, etc, etc.

redpider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

What I seen from Brazil last nite was what I seen in the qualifing. Very average performance and many players are way overrated. Cannot see them getting to the final this year. Croatia were worse, they really have very little to offer and they will struggle to get a win in this group. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think at this stage as long as you're winning your games then the performance doesn't really matter (and that applies to England and everyone else). Brazil are the masters at "managing the result" and could quite easily get 9pts in this group playing as bad as that.

We won't really know about this team one way or another until the last16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

It is just before the England v Brazil match. Ronaldinho goes into the
    Brazilian changing room to find all his teammates looking a bit glum.

"What's up?" he asks.

"Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's
    important but it's only England. They're sh*te and we can't be bothered."

Ronaldinho looks at them and says, "Well, I reckon I can beat them by
    myself-you lads go down the pub."

So Ronaldinho goes out to play England by himself and the rest of the
    Brazilian team go off for a few jars.

After a few pints they wonder how the game is going, so they get the
    landlord to put the teletext on. A big cheer goes up as the screen reads
    "Brazil 1 - England 0 (Ronaldinho 10 minutes)". He is beating England all by
    himself!

Anyway, a few pints later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers,
    "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on." They put the teletext
    on.

"Result from the Stadium 'Brazil 1 (Ronaldinho 10 minutes) - England 1
    (Lampard 89 minutes)."

They can't believe it; he has single-handedly got a draw against England!!

They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate Ronaldinho. They find him in
    the dressing room, still in his gear, sitting with his head in his hands.

He refuses to look at them. "I've let you down, I've let you down."

"Don't be daft, you got a draw against England, all by yourself. And they
    only scored at the very, very end!"

"No, no, I have, I've let you down...I got sent off after 12 minutes."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That joke was originally found by archeologists in Newgrange in 1871. Carbon dating places it in the Jurasic ere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's a guddon tho. I esp. liked it the first time I heard it for Paul McGrath v England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hadn't heard it before, good one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

redspider wrote:

Juan, no.4, plays with a German club, and his name is pronounced WAN, if you speak Portuguese, or indeed Spanish!
    redpider

Sorry to be a real bore, maybe it's my age, but you pronounce the 'J' in Portugese, unlike Spanish. So it's Joe-say who manages Chelsea, not Hoe-say.

And on-topic, Ronaldinho may not be Maradona or Pele, but he's bloody good, and will yet show his mastery in this tournament.

Did you put your money on it regardless of the fact you didn't think he'd win?

Basically yeh :) I think he will be the best player of the tournament, but Ronaldinho will still get it, cause he has more flair.

But at 24/1, those odds were too appealing to turn down, especially with Ronaldinho at something stupid like 3/1.

So I popped a tenner on it :) And low and behold, Ronaldinho isn't playing great and Kaka was MOM probably.

p.s. Is there a MOM thing, or have I been missing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

tdv wrote:
    Thanks Pig, I did say that, Ive been on here about a week. I dont know if im allowed to post links to of other forums on here but if i was i'd posted one to a topic i tittled "Kaka Best Player In The World" pointing out why he is & its about 3 weeks old. I could pm it to you if you would like. The reason i stated Kaka was as good as Ronhaldino is because i got alot of stick over it & lot of people taught i was having a laugh (they where all scousers tho & it ended up becoming a discussion about Steven Gerrad). Anyway judging by tonites perfomance I think Kaka has given alot of evidence to my "outrageous" suggestion.
    It hasn't really. Ronaldinho was not on form last night and he was also being marked by more players than Kaka. As I said, if Ronaldinho put in a good performance Brazil would have put in a much better performance as a whole whether Kaka turned up or not.

I just can't wait until he gets a goal and gets that smile back on his face. atm I'm suprised he can even pull off any tricks on the pitch as he looks so uptight.

PHB - Kaka got motm
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060613/1/7jea.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I wonder will Perreria have the cahones to drop Ronnie after that languid display last night, where he touched the ball a whole nine times! Shift Dinho into the hole and play Adriano up top perhaps? Perreria should have brought Romario, at least he would have put in a better shift than Ronnie last night :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Juan Pablo wrote:
    I wonder will Perreria have the cahones to drop Ronnie after that languid display last night, where he touched the ball a whole nine times! Shift Dinho into the hole and play Adriano up top perhaps? Perreria should have brought Romario, at least he would have put in a better shift than Ronnie last night :p
    Adriano was playing up top.Ronaldinho was one of brazils better players.

btw your "Romario beats roy keane in a fight" sig is way off,if you search for "Roy Keane" instead of "RoyKeane" which you have,Keane wins.

Hah,Keano ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

It is just before the England v Brazil match. Ronaldinho goes into the
    Brazilian changing room to find all his teammates looking a bit glum.

"What's up?" he asks.

"Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's
    important but it's only England. They're sh*te and we can't be bothered."

Ronaldinho looks at them and says, "Well, I reckon I can beat them by
    myself-you lads go down the pub."

So Ronaldinho goes out to play England by himself and the rest of the
    Brazilian team go off for a few jars.

After a few pints they wonder how the game is going, so they get the
    landlord to put the teletext on. A big cheer goes up as the screen reads
    "Brazil 1 - England 0 (Ronaldinho 10 minutes)". He is beating England all by
    himself!

Anyway, a few pints later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers,
    "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on." They put the teletext
    on.

"Result from the Stadium 'Brazil 1 (Ronaldinho 10 minutes) - England 1
    (Lampard 89 minutes)."

They can't believe it; he has single-handedly got a draw against England!!

They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate Ronaldinho. They find him in
    the dressing room, still in his gear, sitting with his head in his hands.

He refuses to look at them. "I've let you down, I've let you down."

"Don't be daft, you got a draw against England, all by yourself. And they
    only scored at the very, very end!"

"No, no, I have, I've let you down...I got sent off after 12 minutes."

Love it. Class :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Anam wrote:
    btw your "Romario beats roy keane in a fight" sig is way off,if you search for "Roy Keane" instead of "RoyKeane" which you have,Keane wins.

Hah,Keano ftw!

Aye!! When I ran it first, the Baxinho was edging out Keano, but had top make that little amendment when Roy started beating Romario :o

Sunday will be interesting with Austrailia up next for Brazil, should be an enjoyable game to watch.

Ronaldo is only 29 and this is his 4th WC, amazing. :)
    Juan Pablo wrote:
    Sunday will be interesting with Austrailia up next for Brazil, should be an enjoyable game to watch.
    Am I the only one who thinks Australia are terribly overrated? They commited twice as many fouls in the Japan match and the only way they could out play them was by pushing them off the ball. A Britsol City player making their team shows their depth. They were terrible at the confederations cup, the only team to get no points (Tunisia beat them). I don't think Brazil will have any problems beating them comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Did you just edit out " A bunch of average Premiership players from your post"??
    I was just about to reply to that one! ;)

BaZmO* wrote:
    Did you just edit out " A bunch of average Premiership players from your post"??
    I was just about to reply to that one! ;)
    Yeah, because then we'd have comparisons with Ireland. :) The Aussies have yet to impress me.

Juan Pablo wrote:

Brining Ramario wudnt have been a bad idea, he got like 50 something goals last season in the Brazilian league at 40yrs old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

tdv wrote:
    Brining Ramario wudnt have been a bad idea, he got like 50 something goals last season in the Brazilian league at 40yrs old
    I think it was closer to 20 goals,though i could be wrong.

Hippo wrote:
    Sorry to be a real bore, maybe it's my age, but you pronounce the 'J' in Portugese, unlike Spanish. So it's Joe-say who manages Chelsea, not Hoe-say.

ok, I stand to be corrected. I'll take your word for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

eirebhoy wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks Australia are terribly overrated? .

i dont know, how ar ethey rated?

eirebhoy wrote:
    They commited twice as many fouls in the Japan match and the only way they could out play them was by pushing them off the ball..

one could make the arguement that the ref was crap.

personally, i think the australia - brazil match looks liek it could be very entertaining.

• Advertisement

Anam wrote:
    I think it was closer to 20 goals,though i could be wrong.

Yep your right. Got confused there lol, its something like 950 he's scored in his whole carerer, needing like 50 goals to get to a thousand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

mike65 wrote:
    Brazil scrape 1-0 win! They were pretty poor, Ronaldo is nothing but an ad for the perils of a fast food lifestyle. If the Croats had a dead-eye striker they could have won that by a goal or two.

Mike.

Sorry this is just the first comment I found slagging Ronaldo and calling him fat...i'm sure this thread is full of it...

But let's not beat around the bush, the lad is pretty much cut to shreds. Same with Adriano...Not fat. Pure muscle...maybe too much muscle...but not fat...It infuriates me when I hear people calling him fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Yeah you can tell from his performance last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Ronaldo suffering from Toxic Shock Syndrome?

http://tinyurl.com/fzrra

Advertisement