Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grade Mistake

Options
  • 13-06-2006 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

Got my results recently...
    Did about 5 exams during the summer. All went well except 1, which I thought I didn't do well in, and that there was a slim (but real) chance that I failed, ie. <40%. Turns out I got my joint highest score out of the 5 subjects in this topic, high 70's.

Now I don't believe this for a second, I did terrible in this exam. I did WELL in an exam of the same topic at Christmas and only got a few % above what I got in this.

So I'm just wondering, could they have fukked up? And if so, when will they tell me?

It's ridiculous because if I got a more realistic score, say 50%, I'd be happy that all is done and dusted and passed, but because of this 'unlikely' score I feel maybe they're gonna come back and say 'uh-oh, we fukked up, you actually got X%' ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

my understanding is that this has already gone through the exams board, and the lecturer and head of your course okayed the result.

normally i would suggest honesty is the best policy, but if you do fess up, they will fail you if they can. it wont be a case of 'ah, he was honest, so we ll give him 40%'. let sleeping dogs lie, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Best to get it checked out I'd say. They might never spot it and there's a good chance that it will come back to fup things up later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I just had a look at the exam paper, and I didn't do as badly as I thought I did... maybe should have gotten 60odd... can only think that because there was 2 'errors' (well, 1 bad enough one) on the paper they marked the bits with those easier, as in fairness they did fukk me up for a bit.
    I'm gonna just take it on the chin for the team :D;):D :eek: :D;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

was there any continuous assessment involved as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

The general way things go is:

1) The examiner (usually your lecturer) corrects the paper, based on a Marking Guide that would have been submitted to the Exams Office at the time that the paper itself was submitted. Generally around February.

2) The external examiner (usually a lecturer/professor from another University) checks a random number of the student's exams.

3) Your lecturer gets a list from the Exam's Office of whose name corresponds to the exam numbers and collates all CA results to your actual exam results. Your lecturer probably knows you so if you did unusually well, they'll re-check it!

4) Lectuer submits full list of final marks to Exam's Office or loads them into Exam's IT System.

5) Final Exam Results and Student Names, any other material like Medical Certs or feck ups in the paper that may have disrupted students are presented to the Exam Board. This is usually made up of every lecturer on the course, the Course Co-Ordinator, Head of School and Director of Faculty. Each result is gone through (briefly) but is gone through. If all are happy, the result is recorded, signed off by the Exam Board.

6) Exams Office publish all of the Pass Lists or put results on web site, etc.

7) Exams Office generally post a copy of actual results to the students for their records.

----

If you have managed to get through all of these checks and still came out with 70%, then you have nothing to worry about! Congratulations, go on holidays!

• Advertisement
Advertisement