Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

History-Main topics?!

• 13-06-2006 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a rough idea of the main topics to be coverd?!..so far ive done rise of hitler/moussilini,bismarck and most of the irish history!!?!:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

You seem to have it pretty well covered, although in the Nation States and International Tensions section I'd be inclined to cover Wilhelm II and World War 1 also. Goddamnit I have a lot of work to do.

Dictatorship and Democracy

• Mussolini's Italy
    • Church-State Relations
    • Economy
    • Foreign Policy

• Weimar Republic
    • Hitler & Nazi Party
    • Nazi's Seize Power
    • Nazi Foreign Policy
    • Church-State Relations
    • Anti-Semitism & Holocaust

Nation States and International Tensions

• Bismarck's Germany
    • Wilhelm II & Weltpolitik
    • Church-State Tensions in Germany and Italy
    • Anti-Semitism in France and Russia
    • Outbreak of WW1
    • WW1
    • Peace Settlement

Sovereignty and Partition

• Home Rule
    • Easter Rising and aftermath
    • 1817/18 Victory of Sinn Fein in Elections
    • Dividing over the Treaty
    • Civil War

That's pretty much what I'm covering for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I would just like to congratulate myself on making the decision to pack this subject in after the Junior Cert!

Get bent. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

if i'm doing these topics, what should I focus on.......arggggghh I HATE history :mad:

-sovereignty & partition

-Movements for reform

-Division & realignment

-Dictatorship & Democracy

aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggghhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

NADA wrote:
    I would just like to congratulate myself on making the decision to pack this subject in after the Junior Cert!

i would also like to take the opportunity to do the exact same:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

GO ON HISTORY WOOOOOOOOO so watevr mwahah

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HoboJesus

Would really appreciate some suggestions here, if possible :D. Have I left anything out? History's meant to be one of my A1 subjects, my teacher even said so after I missed about fifty of her classes. I, of course, regret this now :p.
    Anyway:

Dictatorship and Democracy
    -Mussolini's rise to power
    -Mussolini's Economic and Foreign policies
    -The being-chased-through-Italy-and-hung-upside-down-with-his-mistress-of-Mussolini

-Fall of the Weimar/Hitler's rise to power
    -Economic/Foreign policies
    -Anti-semitism and the Holocaust
    -Propeganda in Nazi Germany (+Nuremberg)

-Church-State relations in Italy/Germany

-Regimes of Lenin and Stalin (+ Show trials)

-The Jarrow March

Division and Realignment
    -Origins of the Cold War 1945-1949
    -Main Crises of the Cold War 1950-1989
    -Reform Movements in USSR (+Hungary 1956)
    -Beginning and progresses of EU

-The Second Vatican Council
    -The 1973 Oil Crisis

Soverignty and Partition
    -The Ulster Unionists/Rise of IVF/UVF
    -The 1916 Rising (gonna learn this good since the marches and 90th anniversary and such)
    -Sinn Fein's road to victory in the 1918 Election
    -The Irish War of Independence

-The Treaty Negotiations
    -The Irish Civil War

-The Belfast Bombings
    -The Eucharistic Congress

(Movements for reform -just the case studies and a bit of practice for any essay question that may come up if I have time)

That's it basically, sorry if it was a bit long, maybe someone will find it useful. Any suggestions on anything to add or focus on would be hugely appreciated, I'm specifically worried about S&P since most of my missed days were during that time. Thanks, and good luck to fellow history-crammers today. Thank god I've got most of my sleeping done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

In theory, I've about that much covered, but whether or not I will remember the details on the day is another matter. The way I see it, you have more than enough done, just make sure you know it.

If you really want something new to study, I'd go for Economic Policies of Cumann Na Gael and Fianna Fail after independence.

In theory, I've about that much covered, but whether or not I will remember the details on the day is another matter. The way I see it, you have more than enough done, just make sure you know it.

If you really want something new to study, I'd go for Economic Policies of Cumann Na Gael and Fianna Fail after independence.

I actually have note sheets on those exact topics, but haven't really covered it that well before. Cheers for the advice, and the vote of confidence. Unless of course I forget everything =/. Past me better have been a good note-maker.

We spent most of our Irish classes asleep so I'm pretty poor on that. I'm going to cover 1916, 1917/18 Elections and Civil War.

• Advertisement

screw it i'm just doing the case studies.....i actually haven't started studying yet....at all :eek:

What did ye do your project thing on?
    , I did martin luther king.

I compared the 1968 Paris Student Rebellion with the Prague Spring.

Jesus! My God! I did the Paris Revolt of '68. I didn't compare it to anything. The theory behind each were completely different were they not. The French going mad about not being allowed into the girls' dorms, being too cramped in class and being, en gros, a little frustrated with life, compared to the Czechs, who were fighting autocracy.

I did the South Longford by-election of 1917. You know, the one with the poster "Put him in; To get him out". He was my great-great-granduncle.

More the governments' handling of the issues than the motives. ie. USSR kills hundreds of non-violent protesters while France, although being harsh, compromise. Then basically said that this shows one of the charactersistics (paranoia) that eventually caused the USSR to crumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

An incredible amount of waffling will be going on tommorow throughout my exam!

Doesn't help when we have a crap teacher.

Here's praying the 1921 Treaty Negotiations, the Lockout and the Montgomery Boycott come up.

Apparently case studies are a very important part, at least 3 came up on the mocks and a lot of the department papers had the same amount. By case studies: Jarrow March, Nurnberg Rally, Stalin Show Trials, Vietnam, Montgomery Boycott.

Interesting. I would have said that both incidents showed the futility of police or armed force. In Paris, the whole thing was flared by petty police action at Nanterre and the Sorbonne, which caused something of a domino effect, while in Prague the use of force in itself really undermined the force, so to speak.

Anyway, there will be much time to speak of this later, but for now, it's time to cram.

PS. The alliteration between Paris and Prague could, I imagine, make for a poetic title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Right, well I clearly haven't done as much as I should have, and now I'm tired. So bed time and here's hoping for tomorrow.....

Ideally: 1885/6 Elections, Easter Rising, Mussolini, Moves towards European Unity.

Shoot myself: 1913 Strike & Lockout, Anything after Civil War, Charlie ****ing Chaplin and that utter ****e at the end of the book, Boris Yeltsin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I'm hoping for Strike & lockout, history of motor car, 1918 elections and sinn fein's success, and Treaty negotiations.. I've got them pretty well covered!

I'm gonna get up pretty early tomorrow and run over some European history..

For the win, we want any of the Red Book Case studies, because I know them all with equal vagueness; Treaty negotiations and such; Nazi Propaganda, including N. Rallies; and the Hungarian Uprising.

• Advertisement

Ye lucky bastards.Your course is so much simpler than ours was last year.Less to study and more time to write per essay.Although i dare anyone to beat my a1!:D

Interesting. I would have said that both incidents showed the futility of police or armed force. In Paris, the whole thing was flared by petty police action at Nanterre and the Sorbonne, which caused something of a domino effect, while in Prague the use of force in itself really undermined the force, so to speak.

Anyway, there will be much time to speak of this later, but for now, it's time to cram.

Fascinating. It's done now, my teacher called my first draft an A1, and she knows her stuff. I'm never thinking about it again :p.

also:
    PS. The alliteration between Paris and Prague could, I imagine, make for a poetic title.

Oh, it did :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

gah guys, this is the only exam i am/was genuienly worried

just the fatc i could go into the exam and not be able to answer a single question.. :o:

i probably should go re-re-re-re-read notes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Particle-Boy

Rockerette wrote:
    gah guys, this is the only exam i am/was genuienly worried

just the fatc i could go into the exam and not be able to answer a single question.. :o:

i probably should go re-re-re-re-read notes

Oh! I couldn't agree with you more like! Seriously - I have done so much work these past few days and I can say that i know about 3 topics from each course really well but it's still not enough! I mean, I went through the sample papers and there were still papers where I wouldn't be able to answer a single question because I hadn't done any of the topics.. I don't see how any one can be expected to actually KNOW everything that could potentially come up. It's ridiculous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

CASE STUDIES!!!!!!!!!!
    if they dont come up im so bolloxed its not funny! but sure one would have to come up on every topic... what would be the point of them otherwise?!

tell me im right oh please...

in the state paper ther was one at least in every topic so... there was 3 in the american i think!

roberta c wrote:
    CASE STUDIES!!!!!!!!!!
    if they dont come up im so bolloxed its not funny! but sure one would have to come up on every topic... what would be the point of them otherwise?!

tell me im right oh please...

in the state paper ther was one at least in every topic so... there was 3 in the american i think!

If you've done all the case studies then you will be grand I'd say! And even if they don't come up - you should still have enough info based on them to at least attempt another question! Don't worry bout it.
    I Only did like one case study per topic and then I did loads of other random ****. There wasn't really any order to my study... which is probably gonna be my downfall...

Yeah. I know about 1ish Case Study from each topic. Am so ****ed on the Irish history front so I better go study that. DAMN DAMN IM STILL PROCRASTINATING.

Enlil_Nick wrote:
    Yeah. I know about 1ish Case Study from each topic. Am so ****ed on the Irish history front so I better go study that. DAMN DAMN IM STILL PROCRASTINATING.
    I know!!
    I'm exactly the same! I'm ****ed in Irish and here I am on this!!! >_< What are you studying ? I'm doing the treaty, the civil war and the rising... Do you think that's enough...? Probably not. But I don't have time to do anything else!! I'm still trying to cover the American junk... *cries*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Well? what did evryone think? (higher level) There wasn't even one case study on the sections I had prepared for, and out of the 7 topics I knew perfectly, about 1 3/4 actually came up :o I wrote 14 pages, and did a solid enough research topic, but my essays were vaguely related to the questions.

I wrote The growth of facism in germany

Wilhelm'sII naval policy,

and the Eucharistic congress :p

Very vaguely related to the questions, But I'll prolly only lose marks for coherance.

• Advertisement

This was the only exam I actually FREAKED at! :eek:

I did pass, well in fairness I didn't start to study until 10.30 this mornin :confused:

I'm a right arse

Pass was alright though.... think I passed

Advertisement