Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former Taoiseach Charles Haughey has died

Options
  • 13-06-2006 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yup just heard this myself at 10.50, hes to get a state funeral but the service wont be in the pro cathedral and hes to be burried in sutton. CJ was 80 yrs of age.
    looks like harney can breath easy now after getting him off the hook. cant say im surprised he didnt get locked up for corruption, this is ireland after all

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

So does this mean we get a free day off.. I mean a day of mourning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Hobbes wrote:
    So does this mean we get a free day off.. I mean a day of mourning.

He gets a state funeral... but they could hardly give him a day of mourning after not giving the Pope one....

jhegarty wrote:
    He gets a state funeral... but they could hardly give him a day of mourning after not giving the Pope one....

your saying the popes more important than CJ ? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

BBC have it on their website before RTÉ do !!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Big Balls wrote:

Shure, it's coffee break time at 11am :rolleyes:

Don't work after 5 or at the weekend either :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what has that got to do with anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Have a lot of reservations about his state funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Every Taoiseach is entitled to one, no one can deny that right afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

From rte.ie:

Former Taoiseach Charles J. Haughey has died after a long battle with cancer.

Mr Haughey, 80, was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1995.

He died at his home in Kinsealy, Co Dublin just before 10am today.

He is survived by his wife Maureen, and children Eimear, Ciarán, Conor and Séan

A State funeral has been offered, and has been accepted by Mr Haughey's family.

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote:
    what has that got to do with anything

means the wonderful semi state body that is RTE dont cover news when its break time:D 155euros off every TV owner in the country and they cant get their act together on anything. look at the riots we had recently, back to back coverage on NEWSTALK, sod all on RTE. They just went back onto their sports coverage while oconnell street burned.
    its fecking embarassing the brits have covered this before our national broadcaster:mad:

give me sports before scumbags having a street carnival anyday

It's fate !! .... look what landed in my e-mail box from pigsback.com ..... vote for Ireland's funniest person

http://www.pigsback.com/offers/195380807/default.asp

CJ Haughey 1 ..... Tommy Tiernan 0 :D

Mossy Monk wrote:
    give me sports before scumbags having a street carnival anyday

yes because the sports results are so much more important than knowing you could be driving into a riot :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Big Balls wrote:

In fairness they were already broadcasting live on TV when you posted that even if it wasn't up on the website.

yes because the sports results are so much more important than knowing you could be driving into a riot :rolleyes:

lucky then that a local Dublin station covered it

Andrew 83 wrote:
    In fairness they were already broadcasting live on TV when you posted that even if it wasn't up on the website.

That's because the TV people's break is at 11.30am :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭अधिनायक

Let the beatification commence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Juan Pablo wrote:
    Every Taoiseach is entitled to one, no one can deny that right afaik.
    I know that but given the controversy that has surrounded him and the division he has created it makes you wonder if he is worthy of a state funeral. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

No 70 virgins for you CJ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

he was a great statesman and is entitle to the honours, even stalin got a state funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Why isn't Charlie Crooks being buried on one of his Islands - the State paid for them - surely a State Funeral on one would be most appropriate.

Personally I reckon he was every bit the thieving knacker that the tracksuit skanks robbing elsewhere in Ireland are - he just got the tax-payer to pay for smarter clothes for good auld Charlie.

Raiser wrote:
    Why isn't Charlie Crooks being buried on one of his Islands - the State paid for them - surely a State Funeral on one would be most appropriate.

Personally I reckon he was every bit the thieving knacker that the tracksuit skanks robbing elsewhere in Ireland are - he just got the tax-payer to pay for smarter clothes for good auld Charlie.

and got his mates in the PDs to ensure he'd never go down, thank you mary harney!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Diaspora

I hope the Lawyers raise a glass to the Father of tribunals and the corrupting of a once great party

the lawyers are probably the ones most depressed, imagine how much money they've lost now CJs gone. getting him on the stand was their wet dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

charlie_haughey2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Would have thought he deserved an RIP before laying into him.
    Pity there isn't one here.

RIP

"The evil that men do lives after them,
    The good is oft interréd with their bones"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

We've got two threads open on the specific subject of Haughey being dead, I could close either but I'm closing this one as the other hasn't had an eventual subplot about the tea-breaks in RTE.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054945549

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement