Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C.J. Haughey dead

Options
  • 13-06-2006 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

Just heard a news flash on RTE Radio 1.
    Nothing on the site yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Crap well that's that and he never got back to the tribunals, I reckon a lot of people are sighing a sigh of relief and hoping that there aren't any papers out there that are due to be release after his death.

Which way will this go will there be relvlations and revoulations now that he is gone or will he be celebrated to the extent that Finna Fail will try use it to push through the next election.

Yes he was a great statesman but so was Stalin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

So ends the saga of Irelands biggest gangster.

He gave all the women toothbrushes.

I will remember his contributions to good ol' Eire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

layke wrote:
    So ends the saga of Irelands biggest gangster.

He gave all the women toothbrushes.

I will remember his contributions to good ol' Eire.

and I will hopefully remember those who would not libel him when he was alive but will bad mouth him now that he is dead and they cant be brought to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ISAW wrote:
    and I will hopefully remember those who would not libel him when he was alive but will bad mouth him now that he is dead and they cant be brought to court.

yeah, terrible when rich guys get treated like joe public isnt it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

yeah, terrible when rich guys get treated like joe public isnt it :D

There are no pockets in a shroud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

“I learned of the death of Charles Haughey with much personal regret. There will be other days to reflect on Mr Haughey, the politician. But today, the day of his death, I want to pay my respects to Charles Haughey the man: father, husband, grandfather, parliamentary colleague"

Maybe all boards members should do the same.

RIP

bollocks, im not a politician so why should i abide by his hypocritical standards! the man was a crook, and kennys not exactly mister squeaky clean either in his dealings. ALL we're gonna here all day is how the sun shone out his arse. well **** that, this is the internet and we can say what we feel, not what some party whips allows us to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dbnavan wrote:

RIP

Why? So we can try and outweigh the crimes with the good her may have done.

Life is not a balancing act where you can be corrupt in work but nice at home. The bad effects the good.

As i have said previously, i'm sure his family miss and love him.

No need to expect the rest of us too.

ISAW wrote:
    There are no pockets in a shroud.

and the truth will out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I think we should have some 'Mara you gob****e' specials on the radio to mark the occassion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Jsut as well none of us "wise " people are sitting in the tribunals. Oh and RIP.

EDIT:

To arrive at a just estimate of a renowned man's character one must judge it by the standards of his time, not ours. (Mark Twain)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭JohnnySideburns

dbnavan wrote:

RIP

Did you know: Charlie Haughey went to Erskine Childers funeral in the early
    70's "to make sure the f*cker is planted!!!!". So maybe we shouldn't. I'll be going to his funeral with the same philosophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

maybe maybe not there is the tradition of not speaking ill of the dead and
    how many will be effected by such truths ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

A tarnished past but RIP all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Former Taoiseach Charles Haughey dies

13 June 2006 11:57
    Former Taoiseach Charles Haughey has died after a long battle with cancer.

Mr Haughey, 80, was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1995.

He died at his home in Kinsealy, Co Dublin just before 10am today. The news of Mr Haughey's death was confirmed by the Government Information service.

He is survived by his wife Maureen, and children Eimear, Ciarán, Conor and Seán.

Mr Haughey served as Taoiseach on three occasions between 1979 and 1992.

He was first elected to the Dáil in 1957 and he held a number of Government Ministries, including Finance, Agriculture, Health, and Social Welfare.

A spokesperson for the Taoiseach has said that the Government has offered a state funeral and that the offer has been accepted by the family.

Members of the public will be able to file past the coffin of Mr Haughey when it is removed to the mortuary chapel at Donnycarney church on Thursday morning.

His remains will be removed to the main church at 6pm on Thursday

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

dbnavan wrote:

RIP

Why? The most respectful thing I can do is not slag him off today.
    Why do people who die suddenly get absolved of all the wrong they done?

Well done for getting Endas name mentioned again dbnavan. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

poor family. never nice when someone in your family dies, obviously. would say the funeral will be well-attended.

yes , the coward of mayo needs all the help he can get:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

It always sad when someone dies, and my respects to his family. But the wealth they are presently benefiting from is a result of their father's/husband dodgy dealing over 30 years of polictics

The man was a crook who avoided being brought to justice. Its a national disgrace that he will never be tried and convicted for his crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Goodbye and good riddance frankly.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wasn't it discussed at one of the tribunals that money intended for Brian Lenihans liver transplant ended up being lodged in CJ's account and was spent on designer shirts in Paris!

The man was a legend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

As Harney said he was responsible for founding the economic boom of today.
    Even Thatcher reluctantly admired him. Temple Bar, Free transport for the elderly, etc etc…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Did his death break into normal programming on RTE1 or was there just a news flash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Before any more attacks on me the original, thread smply said today is not the day. There is no point in preaching to the choir, as a FG supporter, he is one of the reasons I cant stand FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

ateam wrote:
    Did his death break into normal programming on RTE1 or was there just a news flash?
    Ongoing coverage since 11.00.
    The newsflash was in the Tubridy Show around 10.50.

dathi1 wrote:
    As Harney said he was responsible for founding the economic boom of today.
    Even Thatcher reluctantly admired him. Temple Bar, Free transport for the elderly, etc etc…

so is this why she stuck her size nine in her mouth and prevented a criminal trial of the guy?

Rovi wrote:
    Ongoing coverage since 11.00.
    The newsflash was in the Tubridy Show around 10.50.

with sod all on telly, their showing fecking tellybingo now!

dbnavan wrote:
    Before any more attacks on me the original, thread smply said today is not the day. There is no point in preaching to the choir, as a FG supporter, he is one of the reasons I cant stand FF.

then dont engage in the usual hypocracy. today is the bloody day cause christ knows we need some balance to the rampant sycopathy thats going on now. if you dont want to talk ill about him fine, but dont tell me or anyone else what to do!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

feel sorry for the family , hope he RIP at the same time good riddance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

but dont tell me or anyone else what to do!
    I read the thread as a suggestion, not a specific order to you or anyone else not hopping on a donkey masquerading as a high horse.

I believe you've made your point three times, getting less eloquent each time.

Personally I'll leave it for a day or two before reminding everyone of my specific views on Haughey's career and goings-on but that isn't because I was told to or anything because I wasn't and neither were you.

Advertisement