Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Warranty

Options
  • 13-06-2006 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Currenty looking to trade in my wagon for something a bit newer. I was just wondering what kind of warranty is standard these days from garages?

The car I'm interested in is a 02 VW Golf. The garage is a VW garage and they are offering 3 months on all parts. Is this standard or a bit on the short side?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ebowdia wrote:
    Currenty looking to trade in my wagon for something a bit newer. I was just wondering what kind of warranty is standard these days from garages?

The car I'm interested in is a 02 VW Golf. The garage is a VW garage and they are offering 3 months on all parts. Is this standard or a bit on the short side?

Close to the lower end of the scale, but by no means unusual. My last three cars I have gotten 3/6/12 months warranty - all bumper to bumper, and all 98-00 cars. No harm in pushing for a 6 month warranty, but it may mean taking a hit on the price a little. If they are confident selling the car, then they should be able to stand over it for a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If it's a SIMI garage, I think that they have to give a 12 month warranty.

3 months is the legal shortest they can give.

TBH, if I was buying a VW from a VW dealer, I'd expect them to have the confidence to give 12 months, especially if they've done all servicing, etc from new.

There used to be an option of buying an independent 12 month warranty through the garage for about ir£350. Does anyone know if that still exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Fey! wrote:
    There used to be an option of buying an independent 12 month warranty through the garage for about ir£350. Does anyone know if that still exists?

I think it is, when I got the Alfa I got a 12 month warranty included with the car, but it was actually with a different company. I think I would have thrown it out by now as I never needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ebowdia wrote:

If you buy the exact same used car from the likes of a Toyota or Nissan dealer you will be covered by a 12 month warranty irrespective of the make afaik.

For a VW dealer to offer only 3 months warranty on a 2002 Golf sums up the confidence (or lack of) they have in their own product imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ebowdia

Thanks guys, I think I will continue to shop around then for a better offer. The last time I had just a three month warranty something went wrong after 3 and a half months - I was not impressed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement