Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I have seen it all now........

Options
  • 13-06-2006 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Just looking out the window admiring the good weather from the office, and saw an old woman approach the roundabout (small single lane) outside the office and drive straight right to the four exit instead of going around left and taking the forth exit, people coming from the fourth exit just laid on their horn while the old lady just drove on.

:eek: O my god I cant believe it, its not a junction its a roundabout.

I have seen it all now.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Wouldn't surprise me. Anytime you go to pass them out they speed up and when your behind them they trot at 40mph:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

And her insurance is probably €20 p/a coz she's a safer driver...................:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You mean she simply cut across/over the "roundabout" (one of those slight raised concrete painted jobbies) ?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

have to admit when i heard that this was going to be a p.points offence i laughed thinking who in the right mind would make that mistake .

but since thinking that ive seen loads of people do this .

tis scary the stupid things people will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The reasons for this are:

Number 1
    kluivert wrote:
    old

Number 2
    kluivert wrote:
    woman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

mike65 wrote:
    You mean she simply cut across/over the "roundabout" (one of those slight raised concrete painted jobbies) ?

Mike.

No mike this is a proper roundabout with flowers and stuff in the middle and big black and orange signs pointing in the direction in which to go around it because we have alot of foreigns drivers in the town I am living in.

Its pretty busy as well, due to the new one way system introduced recently. I remember reading about the woman in Salthill who tragicly crashed into a house after having a heart attack or something, shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

I've seen people going around the roundabout a number of times. The worst was at the Kinsale Road Roundabout in Cork (4/5 lines on the roundabout, 3 dual carraigeways leading onto the roundabout and 2 other busy roads).

In this case it was an old man driving against the 4 lanes of traffic. He didnt even stop - he kept to his left lane wondering why people were driving on the wrong side of the road no doubt. I didnt see how he left the roundabout but it wouldnt surprise me if he went down the wrong side of a dual carraigeway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I saw it done on the magic roundabout in Galway one day. Yer man came in from the Sean Mulvoy road and proceeded to go right around the roundabout to the Headford road exit. Caused mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

I once saw what looked like two sexy Spanish or Italian girls do this on the main roundabout right outside Dublin Airport. They just sat there laughing in the middle of some of the worst traffic chaos I'd ever seen. I had to admit, it was kind of funny.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well to hell/Ireland. The worst drivers I have ever come across.
    I have to say I am amazed daily at the state of driving.

One nite in Westport I was coming towards the roundabout (blob of paint) and was 1/2 way through the blob when a car came flying down from the junction on my right and nearly took the front off me.
    I laid on the horn and your mano hit the brakes, rammed the car into reverse and pinned my car, he rolled down the window and let loose. He had me pinned in so I could not open the door.
    He went mental for a minute, then I invited him down to the cop shop to discuss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

These stupid little mini-roundabouts (blob of paint works too :D) that have sprung up everywhere should be banned as noone knows how to use them and treats them as standard junctions anyway.

For example: I came out of a T junction onto one of these, turning right. Halfway into the turn and this dope in a Merc comes tearing on through from the right leaning on the horn as she did so.
    As far as I understood it, you're supposed to treat it like a full-size roundabout and thus required to give way to traffic already on it?

I still think though that roundabouts are merely a lazy substitute for a proper signal controlled junction though anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I still think though that roundabouts are merely a lazy substitute for a proper signal controlled junction though anyway.

How do you feel about that roundabout in Swords near the new shopping centre? First time I saw that, the lights were up, but had no colors in them, just the silver shiny backing. I nearly wet myself laughing, it looked like some sort of 3 eyed cyborg invasion of something.

Archeron wrote:
    How do you feel about that roundabout in Swords near the new shopping centre? First time I saw that, the lights were up, but had no colors in them, just the silver shiny backing. I nearly wet myself laughing, it looked like some sort of 3 eyed cyborg invasion of something.
    :D Haven't seen that one but the words "EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE!" spring to mind for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The way i see those blob-of-paint roundabouts is that its basically a regular junction but with roundabout rules applying - i.e. give way to traffic on your right.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is a blob of paint roundabout in James Hospital in Dublin at the entrance/exit of the underground car park. As you exit the car park there is a building on the opposite side of the roundabout.
    The first time I came out of the car park I did it the proper way and couldn't do a full turn to go right - I had to reverse and straighten up. The rest of the times that I came out I just cut across the roundabout as it was safer due to less time pricking around!

kbannon wrote:
    There is a blob of paint roundabout in James Hospital in Dublin at the entrance/exit of the underground car park. As you exit the car park there is a building on the opposite side of the roundabout.
    The first time I came out of the car park I did it the proper way and couldn't do a full turn to go right - I had to reverse and straighten up. The rest of the times that I came out I just cut across the roundabout as it was safer due to less time pricking around!
    That's also true. Most of the time there isn't enough room to complete the manoeuver properly either without a lot of frantic wheelturning, whereas a standard junction elminates the whole problem.

Advertisement