Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haughey and UCD

Options
  • 13-06-2006 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭

Given that he learned his trade, so to speak, in this institution should we have some sort of monument to the Boss? A Stalin-esque statue? A giant portrait of him giving the 2 fingers hanging lavishly from O Reilly Hall? The Quinn school?

Il Presidente must be so proud...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hah!

This reminds me, my secondary school principal had a big framed picture of Stalin hanging in his office..... What a wierdo :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I dont know much about Haughey tbh..
    What course did he do in UCD?
    Was he involved in the union as most future politicans blossom there?
    Was he involved in any sports/societies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Charles James Haughey graduated from UCD with a first class honours degree in Commerce.He was the Commmerce and Economics Society Auditor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Haughey

http://www.ucdsu.net/newswire.php?story_id=1142

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 neutral

I suppose a statue or bust in the Commerce Block is best then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

i was just sitting by the lake there and some guy from RTE was going round interviewing people about haughey.. i told him i had nothing to say that was suitable for national television

• Advertisement

I'm definitely looking forward to the six one news on rte 1 it should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't support statues or busts for national disgraces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

No we should not, that is all.

There's already a statue of him anyway I'm not sure where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

A former C&E auditor skimming money to further his own lavish lifestyle at the expense of the ordinary population.....my my how times have changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

rain on wrote:
    i i told him i had nothing to say that was suitable for national television

Go On Ya Good Thing. A state funeral is more than enough to shut the Haughy lovers up but no way should more money sink into a black hole after his death in the form of any sort of statue. UCD probably will but id love to see the protests

The Van wrote:
    A former C&E auditor skimming money to further his own lavish lifestyle at the expense of the ordinary population

Thats enough reason to pretend he never went to the college in the first place.

Haughy? Never heard of him

Chakar wrote:
    There's already a statue of him anyway I'm not sure where.

Yeah , The house of horrors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Well it'd beat putting a new book or two in the library. It's not like we need those!

I think the state funeral is more than enough for him. I love the fact that it was pointed out repeatedly that it was offered and subsequently accepted, rather than a given.

Maybe his face tembossed on a liver would be a fitting tribute. At least someone would get one then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I think a book of condolences in the admin building would be more then enough.UCD has lots of good people go through its doors who have done lots to further Ireland both economically and socially.I dont think its fair to commerate just one. As Blush said there is far more important things for the university to spend their money on.
    I wonder if Haughy would shudder at what the c+e society has turned into today..a society based on organising nights out sold by sexist posters of women with their tits hanging out......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

panda100 wrote:
    I wonder if Haughy would shudder at what the c+e society has turned into today..a society based on organising nights out sold by sexist posters of women with their tits hanging out......

:D He'd probably be behind it. Come to think of it, for all the important figures that UCD has been associated with, Joyce, Haughey, Hopkins, etc. we have no real commemorations to these people, do we? I mean compared to Trinity who have statues and bronze heads all over the place.

Yes, a 25 ft statue of McDowell is exactly what we need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

Has anyone seen his name on the C&E register of Auditors plaque in the Arts block? Well no one else has either cos someone scratched his name off with a compass years ago

moynihan wrote:
    Has anyone seen his name on the C&E register of Auditors plaque in the Arts block? Well no one else has either cos someone scratched his name off with a compass years ago

Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

moynihan wrote:

Inevitable.

It's no wonder so many people are cynical about politics when figures like CJH and co abuse their positions of power for personal benefit and with seemingly no remorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

His name is still perfectly legible. Either that or I'm mixing it up with the KBC one, where his name as a previous Auditor is a little scratched but still proudly prominent.

"No more of that..."

Fair play to Rúairí Quinn for saying to the Senate "had he been a member of the public he would have been jailed for perjury" . Its sicking that we celebrate white collar crime but condemn our less "high profile" criminals. Keep the worship of criminals out of UCD in my opinion

edit: its driving me crazy that government press secretary dismisses his criminality by saying "everyone has their flaws" . Now I'm not comparing C.J Haughy to anyone else but If I went out and robbed a bank could I use the "nobody's perfect" defense. Perhaps the money he stole could have gone to social welfare for abused children. If there is any move to honor this man in UCD ill fight it all the way. Ive never been so hardened about anything and Id expect a large turnout of students and the SU if anything is forced through over the summer months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Some of his families assets should be liquidated to pay back the money he owes the tax payer. If my relgion didn't require me to have respect for the dead, id say haul his coffen up and put it in a cell in mountjoy prison for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What religion is that?

Jedi

You crack me up. But not as much as the nonsense honouring one of Irelands most celebrated and un-punished criminals.

Chakar, you have to be kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

What religion is that?

Im an a la carte follower of the Church of Ireland. (anglican communion)

His name is still perfectly legible. Either that or I'm mixing it up with the KBC one, where his name as a previous Auditor is a little scratched but still proudly prominent.

"No more of that..."

Hooray!!

Are you for real?

there will be no mention in UCD of Charles Haughy. I have my sources :D

*does happy dance*

YAY!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

Even though I agree with pretty much all the criticism ever made about Haughey, I dont agree with those people who say he shouldn't have been given a state funeral. If ever there was a death that should be celebrtaed publicly it was that one. Personally I was hoping for a street carnival with little children singing "ding dong the pr*ck is dead".

Advertisement