Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haughey and UCD

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Of course it was Haughey had the engineering building built so he could deport the students from Merrion Street and acquire the building for his own palace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Panda are you drunk tonight or what? Read the last line of my sentence in my last post - "And for the record I don't regard Haughey as on the level of anyone mentioned above either."

Did you miss that? I have an admiration for Charles Stewart Parnell and for the 1916 rebels and to a certain extent for Bobby Sands.

The reality remains however that these people were criticised when they were alive and were only praised when they died. Same goes for Tone, Emmet and the countless other martrys that exist throughout Irish history.

Please don't put words in my mouth for f*ck's sake. :rolleyes: I'm particularly incensed at this bit:

What the f*ck are you talking about? I'm not against the 1916 rebels. I was making the point that it was in death that they received praise.

F*cking hell.

Woah chilax mng!:) Its just a debate and Im trying to see you point of view as well as zanes and everyone elses. I really wasnt trying to put words in your mouth,you wrote them,and I did see the bit about how you dont regard Haughy in the same league as the 1916 rebes of Cahrles Stewrt Parnell. It was not me who made who a comparison between Haughys glory in death and their glory. I think that the rebels of 1916 and Parnell have every right to be glorified in death and I agree withy you that Haughy doesnt.
    As I tried to bring it back on topic earlier I am glad that there will not be a lasting memorail to Haughy in Ucd and while I think there should be a bit of respect for someone who has just died from a battle with cancer I can see why some people think what he did in life deserves not even a bit of respect so soon after he dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

we should get a statue of Terry Keane's body with the head of CJ Haughy and put it on a €million yacht which should be docked on the little island in the lake. Just for laughs of course

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Grimes wrote:
    we should get a statue of Terry Keane's body
    Can it be her body circa 1973, not the present version?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think Terry Keane should be barred from UCD. Haughey was no angel but she's just evil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah I totally agree, she's a very shallow person thinking about damn money all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

I don't see why any comparisons with Hitler, Musslini, Stalin etc should be off limits. At what stage to someone become 'bad' enough to enter their league of the damned? As far as I know none of these tyrants killed anyone personally with their bare hands and they did benefit their nations in some ways. People chose to believe the rhetoric of these despots and act in accordance. They could have chosen to disobey too. Were these 'normal' people just as evil? Haughey was certainly duplicitous and corrupt, and irredeemably blemished his character with those unnecessary actions. It is beneficial to us that his actions were exposed.

So, essentially my point is that nobody is beyond criticism, and we should never bow to pious obligations to respect someone just because they may have achieved an ounce of good in their lifetimes. I'm sure that many of the critics are no angels themselves. The important thing is that we learn from their errors and refrain from repeating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Samos wrote:

The important thing is that we learn from their errors and refrain from repeating them.

Hear hear to that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Chakar wrote:
    Yeah I totally agree, she's a very shallow person thinking about damn money all the time.

actually come to think about it she could be a product of UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Red Alert wrote:
    I think Terry Keane should be barred from UCD.
    Grimes wrote:
    actually come to think about it she could be a product of UCD

She actually went to Trinity, so I concur with sentiment that she never be allowed in UCD!! :D

I hear the clanking of locks approaching in the distance...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I just read this thread for the first time. Now I was brought up to never speak ill of the dead so I better say nothing at all about Mr. Haughey.

Advertisement