Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French (h) - the aftermath

Options
  • 13-06-2006 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

So how did everyone do? I was surprised at how well mine went.

The comprehensions I thought were tough enough, particularly the first one, but I think I did fairly well with them. The 'personnes agèes' essay suited me down to the ground and I got a good 130 words out of it. Then I did the diary entry and the world cup one, which both went pretty well. Expected to have loads of time left over at the end, but I went so slowly that things just worked out perfectly.

The listening wasn't as fantastic, but considering how crap I usually am at them it was alright, and certainly easier than many a listening I have done in the past. With the exception of the final section, I think I put a plausible answer down for everything.

Was hoping for a B, and I'd be disappointed if that wasn't a B1, maybe even verging on A2 territory!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Lovely paper, just didn't do particularly well. That's it basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭MB44

i didnt like the paper at all. The second comprehension made no sense. the written pieces went ok and the tape was a bit of a disaster. will be happy with a c3 . My oral will bring up the grade( fingers crossed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

It was tough enough, but the written section turned out to be class. I did the old people essay, email and holiday question. Comprehensions were tough. What the hell was the answer to the tick the box question comp 1. the woman was afraid, proud, board or terrified Which one was it? The lawyer comp was easier.
    The tape was hard enough. What was the comedian afraid of? all I could make out was that he was afraid of fear itself:rolleyes: Also the final part of the tape was hard - the sport and country. I said handball and Croatia. Hope they're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

JCB wrote:
    What the hell was the answer to the tick the box question comp 1. the woman was afraid, proud, board or terrified Which one was it?

B, I'm pretty sure. I actually found the first comp far easier than the second one!

[edit] Right, the rest of it... The writing wasn't too hot, neither was the listening. Ah well, c'est la vie. No wait, I don't have to speak french anymore. Sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I thought it was ok. The comprehensions were grand, but I was a bit disappointed with written part. We prepared loads of really abstract stuff and it didn't come up! I did the thing about scandalous newspapers and sort of swung it around to the charicatures of Muhammad in the paper last year! I also did the email....there's no real structure to that, is there? I just wrote a, de and sujet and then the layout of an informal letter.
    The tape was alright...the last bits were a bit weird though! I said the kid fell out of a tree! But now I think he was hit by lightning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

i thought it was an ok paper...the 2nd comprehension was a bit gay but there usually always is one...the listening and written were piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I said she was afraid, or worried I think it was, although yeah I dunno about that. She definitely said she wasn't shocked, bored doesn't seem to make sense and proud? Heroin was mentioned, so worried seemed the best choice.

Was the comedian was afraid of losing contact with his family or something?

Croatia is correct and I'm fairly sure handball is too, although I said water polo *smacks head*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Grand paper.
    Comprehensions were fine, I've definitely seen harder ones asked.
    Written pieces, managed over a 100 words on each. Though usually writing is my weaker point in French.
    Tape was grand. A few dodgy bits, like some of Section II and Section IV.

I'd be fairly confident of a good C mark, if not a B.

Was it really Croatia in Section V? Why did they mention Spain then?

Slurms wrote:
    Grand paper.
    Comprehensions were fine, I've definitely seen harder ones asked.
    Written pieces, managed over a 100 words on each. Though usually writing is my weaker point in French.
    Tape was grand. A few dodgy bits, like some of Section II and Section IV.

I'd be fairly confident of a good C mark, if not a B.

Was it really Croatia in Section V? Why did they mention Spain then?

They beat Spain in the final. The question was about the semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I thought the comedian was afraid of his career ending and losing all his money.

I have to point this out. In section 2 of the second text there was a line
    "Eh bien, tu as ete servi!"
    I know I took it horribly out of context but I still think it's funny that an extract from a french novel used in a state exam has the words "You got served!" in it.

For question 1, I made up a story about a friend helping me. I said we were playing paintball in a forest when a crazy guy with a machine gun came out and tried to kill us. We ran off and my friend saved me by going in the opposite direction and drawing him away from me. At the end I put (in french) "I learned something that day, I don't have to be faster than a bullet, I just have to be faster than my friend".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I thought 1st comp was much easier than second. I said Marie was the more powerful charcter. Did personne agees. thought it was easy enough. Did the diary entry but didnt realise that you were supposed to hate the penpal guy. Then the holiday one and as an extra the world cup one. Fairly handy overall except my grammer was brutal. seriosly it was very bad.:o

I thought the comedian was afraid of his career ending and losing all his money.

Yeah I actually heard something like that too, seemed a bit of a stupid thing to be afraid of though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Yeah I actually heard something like that too, seemed a bit of a stupid thing to be afraid of though.

I said afraid his career would end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 piggy

Not what i was expectin at all. The comps were quite tough but the written section was lovely,very easy to write about. tape could of been worse, last section was tricky though. can't believe its acutally over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

with the sheer number of people that got little or NOTHING for the last section of the tape I think they will definiley do something about it

For the record, was it was handball, Croatia, hit by lightning and something else in that last section? I got Croatia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

whassupp2 wrote:
    I said afraid his career would end
    Yup thats what I said. He was afraid his career would end prematurely.

Last section was some guys who stole a bank card and got caught trying to withdraw money, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Lightning? I thought I heard 'incendie' as the very first word. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Found it reasonable, the written comps were fairly tricky alright but not too bad, I think I did fine overall. The opinion q's were unusual but manageable, I did the email, the opinion q about old people, and the sports q. Happy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I twas a decent enough paper, comprehensions were easy to understand, though the questions were tricky. Opinion questions were fine to write about but hard to get really stuck into. The journal intime was a treat.

• Advertisement

Funkstard wrote:
    Lightning? I thought I heard 'incendie' as the very first word. Oh well.

'frappé' was in there definitely, and 'hit by lightning' was one of the ordinary level answers. Could be wrong though. I didn't get it either.

'frappé' was in there definitely, and 'hit by lightning' was one of the ordinary level answers. Could be wrong though. I didn't get it either.

It's right. I didn't get it but it's the only option that makes sense from the ones in the ordinary paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

well, je suck at french, but it was doable definitely

the 1st comp was ok, 2nd one had be a tad lost..

in the listening, what was teh answer to the question about languages, about the people in the Pacific?!
    my answer?!
    "they could communicate with the fish..."

somehow, i THINK it might be wrong :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Rockerette wrote:
    well, je suck at french, but it was doable definitely

the 1st comp was ok, 2nd one had be a tad lost..

in the listening, what was teh answer to the question about languages, about the people in the Pacific?!
    my answer?!
    "they could communicate with the fish..."

somehow, i THINK it might be wrong :D
    I said they can talk to fish, sounded bizarre then, sounds even bizarrer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

I heard fifty and fish,and said they had 50 words for fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

I heard fish too but I wrote down something completely different...!

I didn't like the tape at all, neither did anyone in my class, they will mark it easier though cos I mean everyone is saying it's hard! The written was grand.. My grammer was atrocious though and I didn't have time to look back over it at all! My oral went really well though so Id be hoping for a high enough B!

For the record, was it was handball, Croatia, hit by lightning and something else in that last section? I got Croatia.
    HANDBALL!!!!!!! YES! YES! YES! YES! -watching the oymplics pays off after all!
    Struck by lightning?!? Oh well - I also said he fell out of a tree!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

What was up with the tape about the language "textpert"? I thought that was very difficult

SI - on the comedian I thought was a hard enough start
    S2 - can't remember but it was sound enough neway
    S3 - on the languages = HARD
    S4 - Woman parlaimentarian was sound enough
    S5 - news items were hard enough but I got three right YAH!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I thought that was an alright paper, I did the old people, the holiday and the World Cup slogan thing. Tape was nice enough, got none of section 5 though

Advertisement