Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French (h) - the aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

The listening wasn't as fantastic, but considering how crap I usually am at them it was alright, and certainly easier than many a listening I have done in the past. With the exception of the final section, I think I put a plausible answer down for everything.

Same here, last section was a killer, by that stage id kinda stopped caring though

The thing about the fish was that the natives have hundreds of names for them.

The sport was handball
    The young one got injured because he got struck by lightning and fell out of a tree.

was flying until i got to my final written piece.

Found the comprehensions no more difficult than normal, but still took my time getting through them. Wrote an excellent piece on the Older Generation and then the Diary entry.

and then it got bad...

Completely misunderstood the World Cup question, and wrote how sport was important to us in todays society...

Then made a bags of the Listening...

Ah well, just have to make up for it somewhere else...

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

yeh i found comp 2 sooooo hard but i wrote marie was stronger character..

like you i ballsed up the diary entry i wrote that she liked her not that she DIS LIKED HER!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Tricky paper.. really will sort the passes form the honours..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blah blah blah

JCB wrote:
    HANDBALL!!!!!!! YES! YES! YES! YES! -watching the oymplics pays off after all!
    Struck by lightning?!? Oh well - I also said he fell out of a tree!

hee hee i also said he fell out of a tree, i just inserted words that i heard into things i didnt know....it makes things a lot more interesting:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I heard frapper and wrote he got hit so might get a mark for that if the marking scheme is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shane0312

Raphael wrote:
    I thought that was an alright paper, I did the old people, the holiday and the World Cup slogan thing. Tape was nice enough, got none of section 5 though

1: Handball
    Croatia

2:struck by lightning

3:Caught trying to take money out with stolen card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

shane0312 wrote:
    Croatia

if thats the case, i got a wondeful big fat 0 for that section :cool:

what was the exact meaning of the World Cup slogan thingy??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

The ecrit went horribly wrong at the end for me when i ran out of time, and got 4 lines of pure nonsense down for the changing holiday thing over time before the examiner took my paper....

Listening went ok, comps wern't as easy as usual and my oral went very well so i am hoping for a C in this, i'm normally good at french but i don't know what went wrong today.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

I was happy enough. I got an ok grasp of the first comp and I liked the 2nd on. ended up doing the world cup, holidays and the old people essays. they were ok. few grammer mistakes and i certainly didn't show much knowledge of complicated french but all in all ok.

i quite liked the listening. Got the Croatia!! Wasn't to fond of the last section but I like the others! I can't believe it's all over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

shane0312 wrote:
    Croatia

My Answers:
    1: Curling
    b) Spain

2. Hit by Car

3. Stealing money from ATM's with stolen ATM card.

Damn. Apart from 3. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Daddio wrote:
    My Answers:
    b) Spain

2. Hit by Car

Mine:
    1: (a) basketball
    (b) spain
    2: he fell
    3: they stole a lot of money

...ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Mine:
    1. (a)
    (b)
    3. Stealing Money

A1 territory fo sho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Comprehensions were terrible! Just realised when they asked for a word in the conditional I wrote down 'était', Oh what an idiot I am!

Did the qs on the old people, the journal and the holiday thing, I used really simple french but hopefully it will get me a C!

For the last part of the tape I said:
    1.a baseball
    b Spain

2. fell out of a tree

3. they stole money

Wasn't a total disaster, wasn't great either... so it was what I expected really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blah blah blah

Raphael wrote:
    Mine:
    1. (a)
    (b)
    3. Stealing Money

A1 territory fo sho
    wow thats exactly what i had!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

oops im just after realising i think i got the last question in the second comp really wrong!i said it was the lad who was the "rebel" and that he encouraged HER to go to cafe and therefore said that he was stronger!!!this is completely wrong yea??thats so annoying cos i think i did quite well in the rest of it and this will probably bring me down...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

LOVED the 2nd comprehension...basically because i've read the book before :) left an hour early..i thought i'd be gone before but i kept thinking of interesting little phrases to stick here and there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

LOVED the 2nd comprehension...basically because i've read the book before :) left an hour early..i thought i'd be gone before but i kept thinking of interesting little phrases to stick here and there

Hi aber, Did you get the right answers for the MCQ on Q1/Q2? I just couldn't figure them out:confused:

Anybody who said Spain were wrong. Croatia is the answer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

LOVED the 2nd comprehension...basically because i've read the book before left an hour early..i thought i'd be gone before but i kept thinking of interesting little phrases to stick here and there

Yeah, me too. Brilliant book. Tells the tale of fighting against sexism and reminded me, vaguely, of To Kill a Mockingbird, with prose that was so eloquent it was touching. Quand je l'ai vu, j'étais trop ému pour passer l'examen. Quel dommage!

In seriousness though, I loved the comprehensions to the point of actually enjoying the second. The written was great; my old people essay was more or less a racism essay, with old people in place of black people. For a moment, I considered the play on words - le calembour - "it seems to be that old people are the new blacks." I decided against it, figuring it would be lost in translation. I ended in a corny, conry fashion. "Il est grand temps qu'on se souvient les oubliées." Or something to that effect.

Diary entry was grand. I used stuff like, "Sometimes I think they do it just to annoy me" and the verb "se venger" - to get revenge - which I remembered out of no where.

Tabloid press was awful, I rushed it. Logically, it made little sense. Perhaps the standard of French was decent, I can't remember. Little grammar mistakes, I think, will be my downfall, if I have a downfall.

B2 or higher, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

happydance wrote:
    ... Got the Croatia!! ...
    Me too! Finally watching the Eurovision is good for something :D

My answers:
    1. a) Hockey (the first sport I could think of whose name I don't know in French)
    b) Croatia
    2. Hit by truck (I originally said boat!)
    3. stolen ATM card use

Kwekubo wrote:
    Me too! Finally watching the Eurovision is good for something :D
    Me to! that the only way I knew it!

janey, there're not slow about it! when do the marking schemes go up do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

Daddio wrote:
    My Answers:
    b) Spain

2. Hit by Car

Lol, i said curling and scotland :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

Rockerette wrote:
    what was the exact meaning of the World Cup slogan thingy??

The slogan was "le rendez-vous de l’amitié." which meant "the meeting of friendship". So you had to talk about the importance of friendship and good sportsmanship in all sports! Good luck with that! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sariane

Reading comprehension 1 - Q4(i) what was the answer??????? (a) inquiete (b) fiere (c) ennuyee (d) choquee????? it's been at me! i've read it and read and still can't get it!!!! what did you say???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

The answer is A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

happydance: not for ages. The marking schemes aren't even finished yet, they can't produce a final draft till they see the initial spread of results and possibly modify it to accomodate

Advertisement