Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy texts

Options
  • 13-06-2006 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I got a text from a Vodafone number today telling me i had won two return flights to Paris, obviously i didnt reply but this is exactly what it said.

FREE Txt: U have been awarded a rtrn flight for 4 2 to Paris TXT OKAY TO 57080 4 ur claim or PARIS to 57080 8e. subbed 2 BingoClub@max 4eur/wk cancel remove2 57080

Anyone know the deal with this text, who the senders are?
    Obviously i wouldnt mind a trip to Paris but we all know theres no such thing as a free... trip to Paris

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well it clearly says your going to subscribe to BingoClub@Max which will cost you 4 euro a week....I find it strange that remove2 is the command to stop the subscribtion as I thought under law everyone had to use STOP.

Its spam tbh...alss don't think there's a need to double post this to Public Relations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jibbajabba

Its not what it says that i'm wondering about it's who sent it and if my number is in their database or if what they are doing here is entirely above board.
    And i had already posted the other thread before i noticed there was a consumer issues forum.
    Excuse my ignorance, next time i'll try not to be so dumb!!"!! jkov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I get texts like that every once in a while and just delete them. I've always thought they were sent to random numbers rather than from a database as loads of people I know get them occasionally but I could be wrong. I also sometimes get ones telling me to text a number to get instructions for claiming €10 worth of call credit for free (my phone is billed :)) - pain in the arse, but harmless as long as you don't reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

ring vodafone and give out to them, make sure you tell them the 57080 short code. Find out who it is and then ring up them

you may also want to ring COMREG and rat them out for spamming you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think that the unsubcribe code does have to be "STOP". All networks offer a freetext number that you can forward spam to and they will investigate. With Meteor it's 5002 and after forwarding 3-4 spam texts to them, they soon stopped coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

jibbajabba wrote:
    I got a text from a Vodafone number today telling me i had won two return flights to Paris, obviously i didnt reply but this is exactly what it said.

FREE Txt: U have been awarded a rtrn flight for 4 2 to Paris TXT OKAY TO 57080 4 ur claim or PARIS to 57080 8e. subbed 2 BingoClub@max 4eur/wk cancel remove2 57080

Anyone know the deal with this text, who the senders are?
    Obviously i wouldnt mind a trip to Paris but we all know theres no such thing as a free... trip to Paris

If you believe it to be SPAM and are fairly confident you never gave your number to these guys before then its an offence under the data protection act to send stuff like this where people havent asked for it.

You can complain to the data protection commissioner, send an email to info@dataprotection.ie outlining your number, name, address, the number that sent the text, the time and date you got it and the exact content.
    They will take it up with the service provider. Vodafone wont be able to help you Im afraid as they didnt send the text, they only facilitated it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fiendishfreddie

Cheers guys, some constructive replys there.
    Appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the company is called opera telecom according to this site:
    http://www.comreg.ie/numbering/num_sms_search.asp#search

Advertisement