Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will it be safe to install vista??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just installed the 64 bit version, wish I hadn't bothered.

Unquestionably fantastic eye candy but am not going to touch this with a barge pole until sp1 retail is out.

The nag screens would drive you crazy - everytimeit opens something, even its own fecking control center thingy its asking you if you want to grant it permission to do so, very very annoying.

Apart from the slow install didn't have any speed issues though have an amd 3000+ 64 bit and 2gb of ram , if the past is anything to go by with MS OS's the more ram the better so suspect this is why I didnt have the sluggish issues some others mention. Graphics card is a realativly old Radion 9600 with 256mb ram.
    The driver support was poor, didnt recognise my sata disk at all ..considering i've a k8t-neo motherboard - hardly the most rare of boards this was a pita as the second drive wasn't seen.
    The os didnt recognise my Hauppauge WinTV Theatre card or my DVB-s card either...for a multimedia os of the future this is a little suprising..but as its beta will forgive that.

All in all,its a 2/5 from me, the nag screens have to go, would consider it unusable to anyone with half a brain in their head, if they keep them in for the final version, well XP will be my last MS OS

XP is going back on, might try that Vista skin though, it really does LOOK great..but thats about all thats great with it imho.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Longfield wrote:
    The nag screens would drive you crazy - everytimeit opens something, even its own fecking control center thingy its asking you if you want to grant it permission to do so, very very annoying.
    These were originally password prompts, for security reasons; but they dropped them for convenience reasons. Another Microsoft mish-mash that ends up defeating the entire purpose of the intention.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

if you don't like vista you could use MBRFix (google it) to replace the old XP bootloader on, and then after that you could remove the Vista partition and then XP will be still okay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

wots ms's official release date on vista (service pack 1)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

I think it plans to go on general release in Jan / Feb of next year ( all six versions of it !!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

jArgHA wrote:
    wots ms's official release date on vista (service pack 1)?

wats service pack?

anyway, i have given up using Vista in working environment. i struggled to get used to the file browsing structure. i cannot commit to go through the learning curve while working with loads of files at this moment, including graphics, html, php files. back to basic, XP as simple as it is. in Vista, the eye candy interface kinda distracting me.

mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

mart_max wrote:
    wats service pack?

mart

Good point .. the first proper release will not have a service pack included .... wouldnt make sense !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Really liking my vista :) working as fast as my old XP and so far very little has gone wrong/not worked right, so yea I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

mart_max wrote:
    wats service pack?

anyway, i have given up using Vista in working environment. i struggled to get used to the file browsing structure. i cannot commit to go through the learning curve while working with loads of files at this moment, including graphics, html, php files. back to basic, XP as simple as it is. in Vista, the eye candy interface kinda distracting me.

mart
    It's beta software and like every beta release it's not recommended for use in a working environment.

Advertisement