Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West of Portlaoise

Options
  • 13-06-2006 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Since such areas further a field than The Athlone/ Mullingar are populating and reaching Dublin's commuter belt. such as Moate, Rockfordbridge, Castlepollard, Kikbeggan etc...

Portloaise region places like Mountrath, Borris, Durrow, Aghaboe, Castletown and Rathdowney? all these towns are simular distance to such towns at Moate, It just brings to mind, are these towns considered to be part of the swallowing Commuter belt like the villages west of Mullingar let's say?. I know Abbeyleix is growing and thriving since it was always a known heritage town, Mountrath is starting to hit off with the noticeable amount of housing developments and service stations etc its only 10mins from Portlaoise or give or take a 9km I think?.

anything booming? house prices?
    Is it to far to commute to these towns?
    Is portlaoise the stopping point of the commuting belt?
    Is Southern and west laois experiencing static growth compared to central and eastern Parts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

mysterious wrote:
    Since such areas further a field than The Athlone/ Mullingar are populating and reaching Dublin's commuter belt. such as Moate, Rockfordbridge, Castlepollard, Kikbeggan etc...

Portloaise region places like Mountrath, Borris, Durrow, Aghaboe, Castletown and Rathdowney? all these towns are simular distance to such towns at Moate, It just brings to mind, are these towns considered to be part of the swallowing Commuter belt like the villages west of Mullingar let's say?. I know Abbeyleix is growing and thriving since it was always a known heritage town, Mountrath is starting to hit off with the noticeable amount of housing developments and service stations etc its only 10mins from Portlaoise or give or take a 9km I think?.

anything booming? house prices?
    Is it to far to commute to these towns?
    Is portlaoise the stopping point of the commuting belt?
    Is Southern and west laois experiencing static growth compared to central and eastern Parts.

Yea they definitely are becoming part of the commuter belt.Especially with the new motorwat extended, these places will all only be 10 or 15 minutes or lees beyond Portlaoise itself.Even North Kilkenny is being sucked in, but more by people from Kildare or working there or the very ouitskirts of Dublin.

Personally I hate Portlaoise as a town- I presume the (relatively) cheap housing and central location must be the attraction.I would much rather Carlow even though the infrastructure's not as good yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Durrow has just had its sewerage plant upgraded, I expect to see loadsa houses built here soon. We're expecting 500 houses in several developments.

Nice to see the town at its best today for the pride of place judging.

www.durrowvillage.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Mountrath has an advantage over most of the towns mentioned as its nearer to Dublin than most of the towns mentioned as is also obviously nearer to Portlaise.

I love to know the history of Mountrath. The town centre itself is grand and pre 17th century, i.e 3 storey buildings faceing onto the streets.
    The population was declining practically all of the 20th century. Now it has suddenly risen in population, from www.cso.ie. there are three or four developments now taking place in the town, on the southern approach and the Dublin side. there is also a site started on the Limerick rd, and since the improvements on the road there, there will be land up for development by the school.

does anyone know what development is up on the abbeyleix rd, it;s the main street heading towards Abbeyleix, it's a three storey dormer.

I'm not familar with the towns by durrow, but I guess there are sucked into the commuter belt too. Borris in ossary has more developments on the way including a major development just off the grand main street and now another dev picking up on the Rathdowney road.

Castletown has a rather large estate springing up beside them in there village at the moment.

Abbeyleix is also growing in numbers largely due to the town famously known for being a heritage town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Expect the 2006 census to have some very interesting figures for much of the Midlands. Mullingar was 14.5k in 2002 and they're planning for 37k by 2010. It'll be interesting to see how far they've gotten.

The CSO town by town guide will give you an idea where we were in 96 and 02.
    http://www.eirestat.cso.ie/Census/TableViewer/tableView.aspx?ReportId=1661

Advertisement