Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fog lamp definition?

Options
  • 13-06-2006 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Just want to see what you all think about this: -

I have a set of these: -

http://www.b-link.co.uk/awshow.htm?g=52597

They are street legal. They have 2 lighting options.
    a) Standard 55W Halogen fog light.
    b) Small led lights that light around the main bulb (this is not a fog light bulb). They can be used in conjunction with parking lights.

I've gone through many Garda checkpoints with no hassle, however, the other night I stopped (while having the small led lights on, NOT the fog lights). I was told to turn my fog lights off. I tried to politely explain to the Garda that my fog lights were not on, they were just an additional light. He then proceeded to explain to me the definition of a fog light (i.e. any light that was a certain distance from the ground) and told me to switch them off.
    I'm just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences and what you guys think about this.

Cheers,

DC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

To the best of my knowledge the Guard is right. There is a certain minimum distance which headlights have to be above the road. A foglight can be lower but can only legally be used in fog.

By the way, there is a good reason for this. When we see cars at night, the height of the lights above the road is one of the factors our brain uses in order to calculate distance. The closer the lights to the road, the farther away the car appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

First time I've ever heard of the gardaí getting people to switch off fog lights - long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Anan1 wrote:
    To the best of my knowledge the Guard is right. There is a certain minimum distance which headlights have to be above the road. A foglight can be lower but can only legally be used in fog.

By the way, there is a good reason for this. When we see cars at night, the height of the lights above the road is one of the factors our brain uses in order to calculate distance. The closer the lights to the road, the farther away the car appears.
    Me I'm more worried about very faded/completely missing road markings at night. Someone here also suggested recently that every junction on a country/N-road should be lit. Not a bad idea.

Advertisement