Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does FG stand on the age of consent?

Options
  • 13-06-2006 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

FG came out strongly against reducing the age of consent for females to 16?

Given the fact that Labour dont support this stance what are peoples views on what the age should be?

Also any comments from any of the FG supporters regarding this.

How can FG try to sell themselves as the young peoples party when they are in fact just a conservative party?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

FG did a poll recently which said 54% of the population supports the age of consent as 17. sounds mad to me and completly in denial of reality .that age limit would be render half of donegal as statutory rapists.

in fairness they dont actually say thats their prefered limit, but it is implied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 trippy30

Thank god someone brought this up...

Nice one - mickcarroll10

Question is where on earth did they do that poll - outside a church or something?

How many young people were surveyed?

17 is too high as far as Im concerned - not FG here though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mickcarroll10

Enda Kenny said he wouldnt support it going down to 16.

I ve tryed to get YFGs response on it but they are silent.

Labour and the Greens favour 16 I think??

I would suggest that the policy fits the poll results or vice versa.

FG want togo with the majority view on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

you know its easy to dismiss this as political soccer but the more i think about it the more conscerned im becoming. according to the new leglislation what i got up to with my first girlfriend ,low these many years ago ,when we were both 14-16 yrs of age amounts to sexaul assault at best. id be terrified if i was a kid now (then again, i didnt know sod all about statuatory rape then either ) seems to me the age should be 13 or 14 or so. it'll be unpopular but jailing people who're engaging in consentual sex because they're 16 is mad (and someone someday will, just to show up the gov,)

Advertisement