Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology (Higher) Wtf?

Options
  • 13-06-2006 4:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭

Ok, maybe it was because i didn't do enough study or maybe it was because i had bad notes but....

THAT BLOODY SUCKED!

I found it like 500 times harder than the mocks :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Really? I had no problem with it, had the paper finished in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

You know, Raphael, a bit of sympathy would probably be nice here.. I didn't do the paper Tak3n, but my friends did and they said that it was difficult enough.. Im sure you didn't do as bad as you think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Tak3n wrote:
    I found it like 500 times harder than the mocks :mad:

So divide your mocks score by 500 and you'll have a rough idea of what you got! haha :D

Just messin, I heard it was tough alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

So what should I have said then River? I did the paper, and I didn't find it tough. I left the exam before anyone else, so I couldn't get their opinions on it. Not much else I could have said, the way I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

When I read the exam first I nearly had a heart attack but I got through it. It wasn't so bad when I got into it. Some icky parts though. Confident I passed or at least got my honor in a C, that's all I wanted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

I really dont mean t put any1 down but that exam was a cinch!!!
    Te only dodgy part was the short question about the liver bcos i prob didnt look over it properly. Other than that it was easy!!! Fairly confident i done as well as if not better than how i did in the pre's.

By the way, did any 1 see/hear the news? The teachers union are pullin an absolute freaker over the higher maths papers. Front page of the irish times sed they wer "DISGRACEFUL"
    That means they're gonna b marked lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

I really dont mean t put any1 down but that exam was a cinch!!!
    Te only dodgy part was the short question about the liver bcos i prob didnt look over it properly. Other than that it was easy!!! Fairly confident i done as well as if not better than how i did in the pre's.

By the way, did any 1 see/hear the news? The teachers union are pullin an absolute freaker over the higher maths papers. Front page of the irish times sed they wer "DISGRACEFUL"
    That means they're gonna b marked lightly.
    why cant they pull one over the ordinary paper too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I thought it was fu(kin disgusting :( But calmed down, and attempted all questions, and an extra one. So wasn't to bad, but tbh,'ll be shocked if I even get D3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

i thought it had a wide range but i felt like the examiners wanted to catch ppl out. keys as an experiment! and also part of section b tested about 10 experiments. it was good cos you didnt need to go into great detail but if you didnt have any detail you were up the creek so to speak ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,996 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If a lot of people found it extremely difficult then the examiners will mark it easier. They try to have a similar percentage of people getting As, Bs, Cs etc. every year. The best thing you can do now is relax and don't sweat it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

yeah i bull****ted my way through alot of it, i honestly think i passed it though! i dont no im confident i did!! i didnt like make up stuff as much as i use to i actually knew some stuff! thought the experiements were crappy though and im ragin cause i wrote down stomach and noticed then when i left it was the bloody liver..

my teacher pissed me off though on way out i was like yay i think i passed and she just rolled her eyes and was like "it will be a miracle if u pass anything"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

The paper was hard enough but it at least it was straightforward. I'm not too keen on them putting pphotosynthesis and respiration on one paper, I got confused between the two but thats entirely my fault.

DNA/Genetic crosses didn't get the showing I had hoped for either. Luckily Ecology was there in force.

There was quite a bit of guesswork involved but that was poor preparation on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I'd say it went fairly well for me, i'm sure of a C, if things so well a B....

But i have to say, when i first went through it i got a bit of a shock!!! I thought it was harder than my mocks overall, but as i did it question by question it wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be!!

I thought question 14 was terrible this year, i didn't learn my plants properly and low and behold 14 had lot's of plant topics! I normally do question 14 & 15 but couldn't this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Yeah it was bloody awful! I nearly started cryin when I saw the questions!
    And what the HELL is a key eh?? I just drew pics of plants and animals and wrote their name beside them is that anyway right?!

Everything was just so f*cking awkward! Like photosynthesis for example, they had to ask about the dark stage didn't they! Why not ask a f*king normal question about the light stage!

And what is the theory of natural selection?! I started blabbin on about Gregor Mendal but I think that's very wrong haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I thought it was fu(kin disgusting :( But calmed down, and attempted all questions, and an extra one. So wasn't to bad, but tbh,'ll be shocked if I even get D3.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I didn't like that paper at all.

deisedolly wrote:
    Yeah it was bloody awful! I nearly started cryin when I saw the questions!
    And what the HELL is a key eh?? I just drew pics of plants and animals and wrote their name beside them is that anyway right?!

Everything was just so f*cking awkward! Like photosynthesis for example, they had to ask about the dark stage didn't they! Why not ask a f*king normal question about the light stage!

And what is the theory of natural selection?! I started blabbin on about Gregor Mendal but I think that's very wrong haha!

a key is a way of determining what kind of organism youre looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

:( dat was such a mean paper glad photosynthesis was on it dat was bou it!! ::

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

aww a key hahaha yeah i think i drew different shapes and was like hmm a circle = dandilion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

I was happy. didnt like the last short question in section A, or the long echology question. as for the key question.....If my examiner avets his/her eyes from teh picture of the grinning aphid I might to ok! I kinda remember seeing on once so I did the key (thought it was wrong) and drew little (awful) pictures of the fellows! Ah well, they deserve a laugh.

The first experiment question was strange, it remins me of one I'd seem though. Over all I thought they were really trying to throw you through the first two sections. but the long genetics question was a thing of beauty!!

with the experiments they were trying to help people who had focused on their experiments. they asked simple questions about lots of them. but if you didnt know them you were screwed.

also, does anyone know what shape an enzyme is???:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i liked the paper...did 5 long questions instead of 4 because i wasn't too sure which was my best one! The experiments were ok too...loads of people hated the first one because it had a bit of everything but for me, who barely looked at experiments it was great! :D now gonna relax for a week before chemistry

Complex? specific? 3d? So many options!!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

oh god dont mean to put anyone down but jees i thought it was simple!hope for an A1.i thought all the questions were really straight-forward!.you all have to remember that in biology they accept loads of answers for a question and even if you wrote something in plain english they accept it AND most questions carry very little marks so if you didnt get some answers you probably only missed out on a couple of per cent!dont worry!!

Raphael wrote:
    So what should I have said then River? I did the paper, and I didn't find it tough. I left the exam before anyone else, so I couldn't get their opinions on it. Not much else I could have said, the way I see it.
    You definitely cannot get a high b/a after only spending an hour in the exam.

Se&#225 wrote: »
    i thought three or four of the short questions were grand last one on live just annoyed me. i didnt really study it. what was that y thing? i said it was the transport vein of the liver? i dunno.. guessed.

experiements were handy. the one on the micrcoscope ha! twas easy enought.

on the third section.. ya gotta do four right? i did three pretty ok and my fourth was horrible. the one about the synovial joints and bacteria. bluffed my way through it.

it was ok. a lot of people felt the same. it was ok but i honestly dont know how i did. im thinking worst low c, best low b.
    Hepatic Portal vein, I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

it's globular

with the experiments they were trying to help people who had focused on their experiments. they asked simple questions about lots of them. but if you didnt know them you were screwed.

Was it a particular enzyme?Every enzyme has a different shape and different active site ie lock and key.Shape can also be change through competitive and non competitive inhibition.
    Does anyone have a link to the paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

Not one person was unhappy with that paper in my school. Not one. I was afraid that that meant they'd be marked hard, because everyone seems to have done so well. I think I did ok, I attempted everything and am fairly sure I got a C, or maybe even a B.

Photosynthesis. Red Blood Cells. Lymphatic System. Respiration. Evolution. Skeleton. Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

What the feck is the shape of an enzyme? And was that really the stomach? I said liver :o Experiments were VERY odd, not at all what I was expecting. A key is like where you write:

1. Has more than 4 legs - See 4
    2. Has less than 4 legs - See 3

I started doing it, but it was talking so long, so just wrote a description of each animal/plant :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭goodgod3rd

:rolleyes: tricksy. i loved the first two exps, the short ones , were alrite.

cant say im pleased bout how alot of it was notes, or descriptions. too much speculation and not enought, ... spefics. suppose thats goood?
    the last part of the genitics question B was a buggar, i coulnt firgure it out.. the Sexual rep. was also way outa proportion compared to the nurone and dicot one.

all short ones/2 exps/ Photosynthins (lovely) Genitics (meh) Bloody lymph (bad) (Nurons and Dicots) nice i hope... and.. bone/bac/sex al right.

good though, B. I wanted an A, but eh.. we cannot have it all. i needed an A for points. im gonna need the points... :rolleyes:

Onwards and upwords, histroy to go, followed by a hopefully nice chemistry paper! woo partay.

Advertisement