Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology (Higher) Wtf?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

An enzyme is globular, or 3-D. I wrote both.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

Not one person was unhappy with that paper in my school. Not one. I was afraid that that meant they'd be marked hard, because everyone seems to have done so well. I think I did ok, I attempted everything and am fairly sure I got a C, or maybe even a B.

Photosynthesis. Red Blood Cells. Lymphatic System. Respiration. Evolution. Skeleton. Lovely!

There was no Evolution :confused:

I thought the other guy for natural selection was Alex Graham Bell (aka Mr. Telephone) - thank feck I remembered before the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You definitely cannot get a high b/a after only spending an hour in the exam.
    I spent an hour and a half. Hour doing the questions, half hour checking them to make sure I had them answered fully. But that's pedantics. I'm pretty sure I did well because each of the 4 short questions was an A4 page, the length of every question I;ve given my teacher and gotten full marks on.

And I said that the enzme was tangled >.<

Just remembered from my chemistry that they are tertiary structure proteins where appears to be a spherical ball shaped complex.Im not sure if you would have to go into this much detail for the leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

I thought the other guy for natural selection was Alex Graham Bell (aka Mr. Telephone) - thank feck I remembered before the end!

Natural Selection and Evolution are more or less the same thing. The scientists were Darwin and Wallace.

Also, who said it was the stomach? I'm fairly positive it was the liver. Why would blood be flowing into the stomach, after all?

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote:
    I spent an hour and a half. Hour doing the questions, half hour checking them to make sure I had them answered fully. But that's pedantics. I'm pretty sure I did well because each of the 4 short questions was an A4 page, the length of every question I;ve given my teacher and gotten full marks on.

And I said that the enzme was tangled >.<

How long was the exam?Fair play to you.I just realised that the last thing you need is somebody criticising you during your leaving cert.I apologise and hope you get get the result you want in biology!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tweetypie

where was the genetic cross question???! I feckin nearly lost my life when i saw that paper..and what was with all the expeiments?? I just rambled my way to a low c :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

i said it was the stomach pure ragin now cause i was literally out of the exam 1 second and i was like aww man its the liver- blah ragin but whatever its done now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

i liked the paper...did 5 long questions instead of 4 because i wasn't too sure which was my best one! The experiments were ok too...loads of people hated the first one because it had a bit of everything but for me, who barely looked at experiments it was great! :D now gonna relax for a week before chemistry

Yeh me to!I thought it was awful at first glance but it was ok! i did all short all experiment!experiment were lovely! I made up my keys dey were hilarious!i was like it is green it is coulourful!I fear howeveer im not going to get my A1!im so annoyed!oh well!what can I do?

The_Dazzler: Don't worry about it, I'm the picture of Zen calm ;-)

It was a three hour exam, but my options were stay in there twiddling my thumbs or leave xD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

That bloody key question... without doubt that will be the most generously marked question on the paper
    also, does anyone know what shape an enzyme is???:(
    I said folded. Which it is after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sariane

i'd find it very hard to get the detailed answers required if i left after an hour and a half.... and if there was bits you couldn't get you'd be suprised what comes back to you when your just sitting there........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

The experiment questions were terrible. I messed up the Key thing for tge ecology.

I loved the last question especially the part C ''write short notes'' Hoping for 60/60 for that question as a whole.

I didn't do too well in the short questions though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Kwekubo wrote:
    That bloody key question... without doubt that will be the most generously marked question on the paper

I said folded. Which it is after all...

I messed the key part up :(

I said the shape varied ...

i said the shape was irregular hahaha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭bobneedshelpnow

it was such a weird paper but they did say this year paper was going to be very broad and that photsynthesis question v.easy (thats all) but i wud be thrilled with a pass so fingers crossed ahhhhhhh!!!!
    well done to everyone it seems you had it covered and knew what ye were talking bout unlike sum1 i know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

I thought it was...meh. What I was expecting really. Thought the short questions were hard. And did anyone else think that for a couple of the long questions, like the waste management thing, that you couldn't do anything but waffle?? People who don't do Biology would know those answers. I just kept hearing "A change would do you good" and re-playing the ad with the oul' one and the, ahem, 'hot' guy. And also, for the very last part of q15...menstruation and that, what the hell did they mean by 'write a note'?? I just wrote down my knowledge of the menstrual cycle (i am female after all) and hopefully they'll give me the marks!

Only really expecting a C1 anyway. *shrugs*

yeah omg u know that question on survival of sperm i think i was like hmm because sperm can last up to 3 days and the ova longer people need to "think contraception because it only takes 1 sperm"

and in that pollution question i went on about like cars and stuff and i was like a way of controllin this is people go walkin (thats what to do)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

Oh yeah and for the animal cell exp, was the stain methylene blue? Please say it was, I've already ripped my book up. *eyes mist over at the happy memory*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

!! happy days! I ws between that and bromohedral blue! didn't want to check my book though (i'd end up checking everything then!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Duff

yeh it was a load of bollox!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Shelga wrote:
    Oh yeah and for the animal cell exp, was the stain methylene blue? Please say it was, I've already ripped my book up. *eyes mist over at the happy memory*
    DAMN IT!!! You're right, I was sat there for 20 minutes at the end trying to remember what it is, it's such a basic thing I didn't look over my microscope notes before going in! Got your man to give me a tables and everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

i just remembered that there was more to the evolution question. i knew all of evolution but i forgot to write half the question. damn!
    thank god i did 5 question but they were all a bit iffey

It doesn't matter what stain you say, I'd reckon, so long as the rest of the question is accurate for that stain. I said Iodine, that was what we'd used in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I was happy enough with the exam, was expecting it to be harder. Putting in 3 hrs of study before the exam helped!! Hope I get a C atleast!
    Got history tomorrow, German friday then I'm finished, YAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Se&#225 wrote: »
    i thought three or four of the short questions were grand last one on live just annoyed me. i didnt really study it. what was that y thing? i said it was the transport vein of the liver? i dunno.. guessed.

experiements were handy. the one on the micrcoscope ha! twas easy enought.

on the third section.. ya gotta do four right? i did three pretty ok and my fourth was horrible. the one about the synovial joints and bacteria. bluffed my way through it.

it was ok. a lot of people felt the same. it was ok but i honestly dont know how i did. im thinking worst low c, best low b.

There was a question on the microscope? I didnt see it :eek: B0LLOX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

Calm and breath. they mean the experiment on cheek cells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

Raphael wrote:
    It doesn't matter what stain you say, I'd reckon, so long as the rest of the question is accurate for that stain. I said Iodine, that was what we'd used in class.
    yes! i said iodine too! phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I also didnt do the key question :o *punches self in face*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TommyGrav

Great stuff. Answered every question in ridiculous detail except for the ecology section which I never got round to doing.
    I was taking the piss at the end. I drew the best looking knee joint ever, with knee hairs gently blowing in the wind and 3 dimensional ligaments. Then I drew a person around it with a "where the **** is the skin on my leg gone?" expression.

Also remembered that the anaerobic respiration is called Glycolysis with around 2 seconds left, really couldn't be happier with this.
    One thing though, thing going into liver: Hepatic Portal Vein??

And you're right about methylene blue btw, person above.

Experiments were a joke. So easy. I'm only surprised they left the rate of breathing one off.

My prediction is:

Short Q's: 90
    Experiments: 60
    Lonq Q's: 230

This has to be my A1. if it ain't, I can forget about psychology.

Advertisement