Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology (Higher) Wtf?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

EXACTLY! You just have to answer the rest of the question correctly for that stain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Raphael wrote:
    EXACTLY! You just have to answer the rest of the question correctly for that stain!
    You think laterally! I like that.

Hey, it worked for Alexander the Great

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

Did anyone do the Genetics q? How many loci were there? I said 8...

..was it not four?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ziggy_bone

I said 7 loci. There were 3 labelled ones and another 4 scattered out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TommyGrav

ziggy_bone wrote:
    I said 7 loci. There were 3 labelled ones and another 4 scattered out

Were there not 7 chromosome pairs? And 8 loci, as there were 8 individual genes shown?

A locus is the exact location on a gene on a chromosome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shane0312

Rob30888 wrote:
    Did anyone do the Genetics q? How many loci were there? I said 8...

Yeah it was 8. There were 8 seperate genes, therefore 8 different positions or Loci.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

well i said three....now i feel stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TommyGrav

The independent is talking about a Genetic engineering question. I've suddenly very glad i did 5 q's, cos I totally missed that.
    Was it a part of the genetics question?? Cos I thought that was just the locus things and then natural selection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

think it mita been 4 loci, alleles have the same positions on chromosomes.... who knows really..
    thought the paper was fine... just didnt realise it said scientistS for natural selection.. w/e!! its over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shane0312

Brods wrote:
    think it mita been 4 loci, alleles have the same positions on chromosomes.... who knows really..

Yeah I dont know what they were looking for there, how many different loci or just how many loci.

Didnt anyone else find some of the questions a bit vague?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

yep so vauge!not precise at all! its over though! so lets let it go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

TommyGrav wrote:
    The independent is talking about a Genetic engineering question. I've suddenly very glad i did 5 q's, cos I totally missed that.
    Was it a part of the genetics question?? Cos I thought that was just the locus things and then natural selection?

i think it was a answer to the parkinsons disease where they can use stem cells to replace the myelin sheath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

Hate to drag up an old thread but this bugging me...

Did anyone do the ecology long question? And was it just me or was the experiment in that same question a wierd emalgamation of two of the ecology experiments. We never carried out a quantitative analysis on animals, just plants. What did anyone use for that? I used a quadrat to get spiders! lol

And would it not be folded rather than globular for the enzyme, seein as they can be either globular or fibrous?

i did the capture recapture method for the ecology question and i said it was folded, just because that was all i could think of on the day

curtains wrote:
    And would it not be folded rather than globular for the enzyme, seein as they can be either globular or fibrous?

can they be fibrous? not sure... would they have an active site if they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

curtains wrote:
    Hate to drag up an old thread but this bugging me...

Did anyone do the ecology long question? And was it just me or was the experiment in that same question a wierd emalgamation of two of the ecology experiments. We never carried out a quantitative analysis on animals, just plants. What did anyone use for that? I used a quadrat to get spiders! lol

i did capture recapture,hope its right!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Ballerina wrote:
    i did capture recapture,hope its right!:o
    I did that too but I think I got the calculations wrong... It's so long since I've studied maths :p

calculations?
    what calculations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

calculations?
    what calculations?
    You mean there is no calculations :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

Brods wrote:
    can they be fibrous? not sure... would they have an active site if they were?

yeah, keratin and myosin are fibrous proteins

but crap... that would appear to be 27 marks up the swanny for me

they arent proteins tho....

ENZYMES, I'm some idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

there is a formula for the capture/recapture method. Can't remember it off the top of my head. Unless they gave you numbers, I doubt they wanted you to do calculations. maybe they wanted the formula though?

i haven't looked at the paper yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

As regards the loci, I was talking to a friend of my mother's, a biology teacher, she reckons they'll have to accept both 4 and 8, it's not exactly clearly y'see. So joy for all!

Oh, and I did the capture recapture method and the quadrat as I wasn't totally sure I'd the formula right for capture recapture. Hurrah for two ways of doing things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

I don't remember any questions about fibrous enzymes :S UH oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Don't think there was. One question asked about the shape of the enzyme and that's what they're talking about methinks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

The capture/recapture method is amoutn caught on first visit by amount caught on second visit over amount caught that were tagged on second visit. I made a MESS of that and did it the same as for plants (quadrat, line and belt), but just changed it to animals. **** :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement