Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do i start...

Options
  • 13-06-2006 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, bare with me here please. I'm new.
    I've always been interested in shooting, but never new where to start. Can any one help? :confused:
    I've tried rifle shooting while on holiday and would love to take it up as a hobby, but as I understand, I need to be a member of a club? I live in Dublin city centre and don't have car - is this a non-starter for me? Can anyone tell me my nearest club?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Zulu wrote:
    Ok, bare with me here please. I'm new.
    I've always been interested in shooting, but never new where to start. Can any one help? :confused:
    I've tried rifle shooting while on holiday and would love to take it up as a hobby, but as I understand, I need to be a member of a club? I live in Dublin city centre and don't have car - is this a non-starter for me? Can anyone tell me my nearest club?
    You'll generally need to be a member of a club if you apply for a Firearms Certificate on the basis of going target shooting. If you have land or can get permission to shoot over someone else's land, you can apply on the basis of hunting/vermin control.
    Sparks and a few others will be able to clarify, but if you're a graduate of some of the third level outfits, I think you'll be eligible to join their shooting clubs, with the added benefit that they have club guns which you can use without having to go off and purchase your own.

The whole 'city centre/no car' thing could be a sticking point with the Super.
    Anyone know what the Gardai in the city centre are like for issuing licences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

You could try Courtlough shooting Grounds, just outside Balbriggan.
    They are a Clay Pigeon and .22 Target rifle club.
    You may take out day membership for your first couple of visits and can use the club guns and equipment until you get established.
    Obviously you will have to be supervised by a member of staff until you have become a member and proved your level of safe gun handling ability.
    Additionally, the mainline bus stops about 350m from the grounds and leaves Busaras every hour, (only 45 mins from City Centre).

P.M. me if you need any more info or check out www.courtlough.com

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭irish_stu

whats his stance on travelling by bus with his rifle and equipment if he was to get a license,does it open up a can of worms with the bus company and the guards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

irish_stu wrote:
    whats his stance on travelling by bus with his rifle and equipment if he was to get a license,does it open up a can of worms with the bus company and the guards

Do I remember this right from another thread that you can't bring firearms on public transport including taxi's but someone said hackneys were ok?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

theres also the other side that if you bring it in a solid locked plastic case noone has the right to make you open it just stick some music stickers on it and everyone will think its a guitar

when i was on a moped with the shotgun i made a "case out of an old sleeping bag the barrel came off and fitted in a slip which in turn fitted inside another slip which the shotgun body was in used to put this in a rucksack and made a loop inside to secure it there was about 4-5 inches of it sticking over the top which nobody could have know what it was

dsc000899vu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Can always do it like Arnie and wedge it between the exhausts on your harley,

Advertisement