Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car. What Car?

Options
  • 13-06-2006 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Currently driving 00 freelander. looking to change, probably for a sports car or nice 4x4, but the 4x4s are probably to expensive. I reckon the freelander is worth 11k on trade in so im thinkin of putin 14k with it to make 25k.
    What car would you recommend. Im think audi tt or bmw 318ci.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

oneillk wrote:
    Currently driving 00 freelander. looking to change, probably for a sports car or nice 4x4, but the 4x4s are probably to expensive. I reckon the freelander is worth 11k on trade in so im thinkin of putin 14k with it to make 25k.
    What car would you recommend. Im think audi tt or bmw 318ci.

A sports car or a nice 4x4? I'm guessing from this that the perceptions of others are of primary concern to you. Best thing to do in that case is to ask the people you want to impress what their favourite car is, and then buy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anan1 wrote:
    A sports car or a nice 4x4? I'm guessing from this that the perceptions of others are of primary concern to you. Best thing to do in that case is to ask the people you want to impress what their favourite car is, and then buy that.

Haha, somebody sounds bitter.

mloc123 wrote:
    Haha, somebody sounds bitter.

I fail to see how finding the OP's post amusing makes me bitter. Go on, enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

a landrover to a tt?so I'm guessing you only need it for yourself then?no kids to transport?have you a preference as to bodytype?sallon/hatch/coupe etc?
    any limits on engine size?there are lots of fun tt's.....

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

you could get a very nice 02 audi a4 1.8t quattro?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    I fail to see how finding the OP's post amusing makes me bitter. Go on, enlighten me.

No

mloc123 wrote:
    No

Didn't think so.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

If you like beemers what about a Z3... http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=431722 . ( And now just wait for a big boom of replies about why you shouldnt buy a Z3 :rolleyes: ! )

Anan1 wrote:
    Didn't think so.;)

;) Probably the way I read it first time, seemed like you had a dislike for people who buy cars purely for public image.

mloc123 wrote:
    ;) Probably the way I read it first time, seemed like you had a dislike for people who buy cars purely for public image.

Even if I did, how would that make me bitter? The way I see it, anyone who posts on a Motors board that they want to change "probably for a sports car or nice 4x4" can't really complain about a little gentle ribbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If you have dont have to carry many passengers about, I would go for a hyundai coupe fx. The new model looks very nice indeed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Anan1 wrote:

?????????????????????????????????????

the man clearly like the things in his life to be good things. simple.
    i have a hippyish friend who also comes out with these little nuggets every so often- i just accuse him of being glad he can't afford it because he wouldn't want it anyway:D

i always thought the merc slk on the right rims looks like a doomsday device! you would probably misplace a few years though.

cantdecide wrote:
    ?????????????????????????????????????

the man clearly like the things in his life to be good things. simple.
    i have a hippyish friend who also comes out with these little nuggets every so often- i just accuse him of being glad he can't afford it because he wouldn't want it anyway:D

i always thought the merc slk on the right rims looks like a doomsday device! you would probably misplace a few years though.

I'm sorry, but I can't understand your post. What are you trying to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

correct me if i'm wrong but i think you have a habit of accusing everyone who wants a nice car of doing so for the benefit of everyone else to see. i argue that a person is quite justified in preferring a car that looks good over a car that looks plain.

cantdecide wrote:
    correct me if i'm wrong but i think you have a habit of accusing everyone who wants a nice car of doing so for the benefit of everyone else to see. i argue that a person is quite justified in preferring a car that looks good over a car that looks plain.

You are wrong. We all want nice cars - we wouldn't be posting on a motors forum otherwise. If you can see nothing comical in the idea of someone wanting "either a sports car or a nice 4x4" then might I respectfully suggest that you don't have much passion for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're both good cars, Drive both and see which you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

cantdecide wrote:

I think Anan's point is a 4x4 and sports car are at entirely opposite ends of the automotive spectrum, and it is unusual for a person to be split between one or the other.

Completely reasonable point IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭oneillk

I currently drive a freelander (4x4) cause i needed one for work (out in field and stuff) but could not afford the larger 4x4, so the freelander was a good option. Since i have been drivin the freelander i have come to like the freedom of a 4x4 and how easy it is to drive, park, the visability in town but also you can have so much fun in it off road. But the freelander is a basic 4x4. not much comfort in terms of interior and have had a few problems with it. So i have decided to change.
    now the problem!
    i dont really need a 4x4 for work any more but because of the above i would still like one but one with a bit more comfort and reliability than the freelander.
    But i have pretty much always wanted a nice sports car, i.e bmw318ci, but have since come around to the thoughts of an audi tt for comfort and style.
    Thats why i said i would like a 4x4 or sports car.
    if i could get a stylish 4x4 with the comfort of a sports car for reasonable money i would but im afraid thats not possible. so i think a sports car for style and comfort with out the freedom of off road will do me for now.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

maidhc wrote:
    I think Anan's point is a 4x4 and sports car are at entirely opposite ends of the automotive spectrum, and it is unusual for a person to be split between one or the other.

Completely reasonable point IMO.

Not really. I was split between a 4x4 and a sports car ...both wanted for different but valid reasons. i think you may be confusing oneillk with the sort of people that come on the site with "oooh look at me ...what will i buy , an enzo or zonda" rubbish
    Just go look at some cars and make a decision for yourselves people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If tax and insurance isn't an issue - within reason - then maybe look at the 320CI or 323CI; the performance of the bigger engines would probably match the look of the car more than the 318CI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

get the new land rover discovery

Or an M3 as the 318ci is hardly a "sports car"

Vegeta wrote:
    Or an M3 as the 318ci is hardly a "sports car"

There should be plenty of engines in between that would do!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

well i'm just pointing out that the OP hasn't put any limits on engine size

of course the other engines would be fine i agree,

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭oneillk

the 320ci is a nice car alright, but a bit pricier than the 318s, hard to get one with lower milage. Im afraid the new landrovers would be way over my budget.
    Im leaning towards a tt now but the only thing is the 318 has superior fuel consumption effiency. I think the tt are about 25mpg as to the 318 35mpg. I would be worried about that with rising fuels costs etc.
    Any other recomendations?

cheers

oneillk wrote:
    the 320ci is a nice car alright, but a bit pricier than the 318s, hard to get one with lower milage. Im afraid the new landrovers would be way over my budget.
    Im leaning towards a tt now but the only thing is the 318 has superior fuel consumption effiency. I think the tt are about 25mpg as to the 318 35mpg. I would be worried about that with rising fuels costs etc.
    Any other recomendations?

cheers

You may be running out of options if you want a fuel efficient sports car or 4x4. You should probably be looking at diesel so.

I think the only BMW e46 diesel coupes are pretty new, so won't be cheap at all. I recently bought a diesel 3 series, which is returning about 40MPG in mixed motorway and city driving, but it probably wouldn't look sporty enough for you. I'd be quite surprised if the 318 (2 litre petrol engine?) returns 35 MPG in real life.

The Peugot 406 coupe may come in a diesel variant, personally I think it's a great looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Audi A4 cabriolet TDI?

Advertisement