Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saved €562 by going online!

Options
  • 13-06-2006 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure a lot of you guys are familar with this situation, but anyhow...

Got my Quinn renewal in this morning, I wasnt too impressed with the quote. So I went online, with exact same details for a new quote, and it was €562 cheaper! Rang them up and asked if they can match it, and of course they said no problem. I am happy with the new quote.

So I basicly saved myself €562 by going online and making a phone call!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

i've done the same and saved €250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

JohnCleary wrote:

Got my Quinn renewal in this morning, I wasnt too impressed with the quote. So I went online, with exact same details for a new quote, and it was €562 cheaper! Rang them up and asked if they can match it, and of course they said no problem. I am happy with the new quote.

what website was 562 cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

drdre wrote:
    what website was 562 cheaper.

Quinn, the same company as my current policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

JohnCleary wrote:
    Quinn, the same company as my current policy

Thats a good saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Nice one! I just did the same thing & found I'd have saved €30 by doing the same, not as dramatic but I'll remember to do it next time I'm renewing. Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The only way to make sure you save the maximum you can is by trying ALL online sites, ringing ALL insurance companies and ringing ALL brokers. You could well be in for a pleasant surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

weird, when i got my renewal form from quinn, the online quote was €20 more expensive. Did the old ring-round to all the others, none could match them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

JohnCleary wrote:

what was the original quote ? by how many % was it cheaper.......its all ralative.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What I found before is that companys claim that the other policy is a different policy from the one being renewed hence the price difference.
    I have yet to find out what the differences are between the two!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I found that if i quoted my car value under €2000 the cost of insurance went up ~400 - 500€ for several companies.

• Advertisement

I think the logic behind that is that you won't be as careful with an ould banger than you would be with a shiny new car worth ~€20k+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Stephen wrote:
    I think the logic behind that is that you won't be as careful with an ould banger than you would be with a shiny new car worth ~€20k+.

not 20K but €2K. cars over 20k wer comming in higher,
    meant to say 3rd party too. but i have an old banger and im just as carful as i would be with 20K+ under me rear, an old banger will do just as much damage to another car as a spankey new one. but yes there is logic to their logic. Also i suppose a car worth more is a beter car on the road.

A car worth only 2 grand is also likely to be quite old, and I know that they do load premiums for cars over 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

At least you got renewal notice from Quinn, I didn't despite phoning them 3 times and them telling me it was sent out, and everytime I phoned they were mad keen to get my credit card details to renew. This wasn't the point as i wanted my NCB to shop around, they could not grasp this. Eventually I had to go to the office and demand my NCB, I went to FBD actually €40 dearer than quinn but hopefully proper customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

oleras wrote:
    what was the original quote ? by how many % was it cheaper.......its all ralative.....

The origional quote was €1,794

The new quote was €1,232

Advertisement