Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New martial arts site

Options
  • 13-06-2006 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Im looking for constructive criticism on this site xma.ie.

Thanks

P.S. I know there is an issuse with the events page with an error coming up at the top of the page, working to resolve this error.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

it could do with a little more colour, and i dont think Times New Roman is a very attractive font.... but thats just my opinion.
    the site is very informative, nice work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

it looks homemade. Come on, there is so much 'asian' style you could add to a martial arts page design, i'm sorry but that would'nt inspire me with confidence of your club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

heggie wrote:
    it looks homemade. Come on, there is so much 'asian' style you could add to a martial arts page design, i'm sorry but that would'nt inspire me with confidence of your club

Ok, thanks, but its not a club its a origin of information on clubs and events around Ireland also there are many of arts out there that arent 'asian' in origin, we dont discriminate on any arts so if we were to put 'asian' style into the site we'd have to incorporate all the different origins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

ok fair enough, i didnt actually mean asian as in 'chinese take away' - just minimalistic styling for a clean functional site.

heggie wrote:
    ok fair enough, i didnt actually mean asian as in 'chinese take away' - just minimalistic styling for a clean functional site.

Ah, i get ya now, i'll look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

S'ok, does the job... though the image work is a bit jagged/aliased around the edges, which makes it lack 'slickness' IMO.

The text content in general I think needs to be presented a little better... it's too cramped and squashed together... consider breaking the text blocks up a bit... line breaks, paragraphs, etc.

When you click the 'chat forum' link, the banner area changes size/shape noticably... a minor niggle, but it's distracting and makes the site look cheap.

A personal preference I'd have for the nav links is that the entire containing box for each link is clickable... especially with the white-on-red arrows being there... feels fiddly as it is.

On the contact page, I'd replace the red X's with asterisks... the X's look wrong to me... like something's broken. (or use titles if you're a WCAG nut)
    i'm sorry but that would'nt inspire me with confidence of your club
    I wouldn't go that far myself... a lot of good companies have really unimpressive websites... I mean, I'd still buy from PowerCity :D

nikimere wrote:
    i dont think Times New Roman is a very attractive font....

Changed font type and tidied up the font a bit.
    When you click the 'chat forum' link, the banner area changes size/shape noticably... a minor niggle, but it's distracting and makes the site look cheap.

Fixed this as best i could for now.
    On the contact page, I'd replace the red X's with asterisks... the X's look wrong to me... like something's broken. (or use titles if you're a WCAG nut)

Replaced the 'X's with '*'s.

P.S.
    Im looking into adding more content and adding more color into the site.

Thanks to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Perhaps put the "upcoming" or "featured" events and news on the homepage. Homepage should help to highlight the current content to encourage people to return and make the site look active.

Take a look at the boards.ie homepage. Most people use it as their method of browsing the site (last 20 posts etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's simple and clean unlike a lot of the cluttered junk people normally post here.

The text is legible, though I wouldn't centre it as much

The one thing that jars on me is that the pages are of an inconsistent length - some are only a couple of lines high, while others run the full length of the right sidebar..

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

blacknight wrote:

The one thing that jars on me is that the pages are of an inconsistent length

That would be by only crit, otherwise it's nice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is it just my monitor (or my eyes) but is the map of Ireland skewed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Because the forums page is so different from everything else, perhaps it might be a good idea to pop it up in a new window (or tab).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bpmurray wrote:
    Because the forums page is so different from everything else, perhaps it might be a good idea to pop it up in a new window (or tab).

I use a tabbed browser for a reason!

Advertisement