Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bed Bugs

• 13-06-2006 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BrenC

this sounds creepy, I wouldn't sleep in that bed. I've never had this problem though, thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

Do you keep pets like dogs and cats in the house? Maby thats the source of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest you get a steam cleaner and do all I mean all the softfunishings and beds and cushions and curtains in the house in one swoop and boil the bed clothes and steam and wash all the clothes from the wardrobes.
    Leave them no place to hide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you properly washed all your clothes and bedclothes?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Living in the matress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I used to work as a maintenance man in a hostel in Australia. They're a swine to get rid of. What we use to do was - take all the bed sheets and wash them (boil) and then the work starts...
    We had special spray, but you'll need to check both the mattress and base. Start at the edges (there's normally a rim) and inspect the whole way around (under the rim also). You're looking for their eggs which look like boiled rice (except a little smaller). Until all the eggs are gone, they'll keep coming back, so do the job thoroughly!

So if your mattress has buttons for example - check under the buttons. If there's a hole in the mattress, you could be snookered.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I've had the exact same problem over the last 2 months. The bites these little bastards leave is so weird, they take ages to heal up and feel horrible when you are bitten. The marks they leave are like you've been stubbed with a cigarette. I've broken out in them on my arms and legs, but I am not fully sure they are insect bites or midget bites, I don't know what they are but I get them when I'm asleep. Someone said to me when they say them that it could be a problem with my blood, as in sugar levels, and I noticed that I get them worse if I drink a lot of red wine in a particular week, but whether this is co-incidental or an actual link I dunno.

• Advertisement

They kind of ooze as well, they don't form a head like other bites. My gf said she thinks its my blood sugar level, I just assumed they were bites as I was waking up "bitten" all over me. Still a mystery to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think it might be bed bugs darragh..

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭AOR

Come stay with me if you want

AOR wrote:
    Come stay with me if you want

Did someone get a dodgy dare on another thread!?!?! :D:D

Darragh29 wrote:
    I've had the exact same problem over the last 2 months. The bites these little bastards leave is so weird, they take ages to heal up and feel horrible when you are bitten. The marks they leave are like you've been stubbed with a cigarette. I've broken out in them on my arms and legs, but I am not fully sure they are insect bites or midget bites, I don't know what they are but I get them when I'm asleep. Someone said to me when they say them that it could be a problem with my blood, as in sugar levels, and I noticed that I get them worse if I drink a lot of red wine in a particular week, but whether this is co-incidental or an actual link I dunno.
    That doesn't sound like insect bites. Not unless these guys are a load of alcos looking for cheap wine.

I think if you talk to your pharmacist, you might be able to get, I think its an anti-histimine to reduce the swelling and itchiness.
    Darragh29 wrote:
    That doesn't sound like insect bites. Not unless these guys are a load of alcos looking for cheap wine.

Victor wrote:
    I think if you talk to your pharmacist, you might be able to get, I think its an anti-histimine to reduce the swelling and itchiness.That doesn't sound like insect bites. Not unless these guys are a load of alcos looking for cheap wine.

LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Another place is bed frames with unvarnished\exposed wood, not just the bed linen. Think of treating that if it can be accessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I've heard about bed bugs, saw a little programme about it before it, I never realised they existed before.

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote:
    Another place is bed frames with unvarnished\exposed wood, not just the bed linen. Think of treating that if it can be accessed.

There is a birds nest in the air vent in my room, I'm woken up every morning by chirping birds. I didn't want to disturb them in case there were some unhatched eggs, so I just put up with them, but maybe there are some creepy crawlies in the nest???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Isn't there a sonic deterrrent you can use? I know there is one for ants and another for chavs that they use in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

if you got rentokil in, and they didnt get rid of them, why not just dump the matressess and buy some cheap ones in the interim?

I know matresses are expensive but to be honest, I'd buy the blow up ones from millets camping or argos, rent a van and dump the ones I had.

I remember years ago getting eaten alive in a house i was looking after while the occupant went to the states. Beautiful house, really clean, but the sofa was infested with fleas from their cats and kittens. They had to spray the place from top to bottom when they got back.

Cat fleas, I could deal with, human induced flea type creatures, (which were obviously brought in from someone), I couldnt. Maybe thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

gm1984 wrote:
    woah, i used to get this exact same thing every summer for years. only for about a month it would be really bad. my mum just said they were hives though. i still get the odd one now, but never as bad as i had when i was a kid. first time i rememeber being conscious of them was when i was around 7 or 8 getting changed after swimming and one of my friends mothers thought i had chicken pox, but i was like "no, they're just hives, i always get them.."

but they are very much like bites, but i can't imagine what i was getting bitten by for a month every summer for 10-20 years, so i assumed it was some kind of reaction to the heat, or some particular thing that happens during july/august, like some particlar bug or pollen that only bothers me.

i would get them all over usually, but most often on my legs i think. i can't rememeber it happening much the last few summers (which strangely are the first summers i've lived away from home.. maybe there is something in my bed at home that only comes out in summer??)

anyway, good luck. insect bite cream used to help me not to scratch them too much. also, scratching *around* the "hive"/bite rather that actually scratching it (if u absolutely have to scratch) helps relieve it a little, and prevents u from breaking the skin or inflaming it to much, which will make healing time longer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Apparently you should take lots of B vitamins as well - insects don't like the taste or smell they can sense in your skin and bite you less... just a suggestion... sounds awful though, I'm getting itchy typing this
    I'd do all that spray stuff, take B complex, dump my mattress, steam my carpet, evict the dog etc.... Make sure you do your sofa too maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

G-d love you! this is terrible.I'm actually itchy all over now just thinking about. I think as others have said that you should bite the bullet and get rid of your mattress... I'd go further and get rid of all sheets and duvets covers... even duvets..... spend the money on what you would have paid rent-o-kill and before you bring all the new stuff in treat the whole place - use a steam cleaner (which are great by the way) and a good spray. and then have all your new stuff. I really feel like I need to be in a sterile room for a while after reading that:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

Me personally i would throw out anything i could bed included ughhh the thoughts of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

OP, I'd dump the bed if I was you. Wash your bedsheets and any clothes that have been in the room, get Rentokil back in and then start again.

From what I've been told, bed bugs live in the mattress so your carpets/curtains/clothes in cupboards or drawers should be fine.

We got bedbugs in a hotel in Germany and they just washed our pj's and switched us to another room (and said they were getting in the exterminators) and we were fine - didn't have to wash the rest of the clothes in our suitcases or anything (hrm.. except for the dirty ones!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Grem

If you want them gone get rid of the Mattress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Isn't there a sonic deterrrent you can use? I know there is one for ants and another for chavs that they use in the UK.

you mean a police siren ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

growler wrote:
    you mean a police siren ?

No in the UK they have actually invented a Sonic Noise emitter, see here , it is to stop troublesome hooded teenagers from Loitering around wherever the gadget is placed. It works on the same principle as those sonic emitter people use for Rats etc I use one of them in my garage to keep rats at bay since they invaded last summer.

If you have Audacity installed.

Open Audacity...try it...

Generate > Tone

Waveform: Sine
    Frequency: 18000.00
    Amplitude: 1.00

*generate tone*

You will notice it is quite annoying.

However smart teens now have adapted it to suit their own needs by recording it onto their mobile phones and using it as a ringtone see here to alert them to an incoming call or text, while their teachers and nosey parents can't hear a thing. Vibration makes a noise that can usually be heard in a quite classroom. Handy for txting Anto while doing Geography etc. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

netwhizkid wrote:
    No in the UK they have actually invented a Sonic Noise emitter, see here , it is to stop troublesome hooded teenagers from Loitering around wherever the gadget is placed.

He was making a joke. Ever heard of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

well.. a quick google serach produced this link

http://www.pestproducts.com/bedbug.htm

Advertisement