Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Billing

Options
  • 13-06-2006 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Basically, I pay between 80 and 95 euro every two months for ESB in my one bedroomed flat in town (4 rooms in total). A bill dropped through my door for 201 euro, stating that I'd used over 1000 units during the day, during April and May and that ESB had taken a reading - looks like this reading was correct as well.

As both my girlfriend and I work 9-5, Monday to Friday, and the most electricity intensive appliance we have is the laptop - how in the hell is this possible?

Any ideas guys?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

was the previous reading an estimate?

if so then average your costs over the previous bills where they were estimates.

leaving an immersion heater, storage heater or using dryers during the day will punish your esb bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Were previous Bills estimated ,if they do a few incorrect estimates in a row and then do a reading it can happen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

sounds like a fcuk up to me. ESB over charged me so much last year i got 3 months "free" electricity off em. odds are the bill been estimated (figures next to the meter level at the top of the page will have an E next to em if this is so) check it against the meter reading now. bear in mind it should be near what the figure on the left is.
    seeing as your both out working i reckon this is the fault. i was over charged again by 10.84 last month and the meter man missed us again because they dont work outside normal working hours. your best bet is to ring 1850 33 77 77, thats the meter reading service. it'll cost you money but you'll be able to input the actual figure of your meter. (i think option 2 allows you to do this with out a MPRN number (given by the meter man when you miss him) at the very least you can get some answers!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

dont instantly jump down the throat of the esb. while they are only obliged to do 3 readings a year estimates by definition are not going to be exact.

i got hit by a 180 euro ESB bill i was sure was a cóckup, turns out our immersion had been set to come on at 3pm and go off and 5pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jaggeh wrote:
    dont instantly jump down the throat of the esb. while they are only obliged to do 3 readings a year estimates by definition are not going to be exact.

i got hit by a 180 euro ESB bill i was sure was a cóckup, turns out our immersion had been set to come on at 3pm and go off and 5pm.

yeah but for a semi state with the best wages in the country you think they'd wake up to the fact most people wont be in their houses during the usual 9 to 5 working day because they both have to work to pay the mortgage.they're behaving like its the 70s and everyones ma will be there when they knock on the door. even the census lads had the sense to turn up around 8 to give/collect the forms

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That's why they now provide the options of submitting your meter readings either by telephone or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

My last ESB bill was only 60 euro. Woot! Until I noticed the E, and checked the meter.
    They've underestimated by about 100 euro worth over the last couple of bills, so the next one won't be much fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

living in a apartment a couple of years ago and for about 6 months our bills were estimates cause they couldnt get in to read the meter. when they finally did we got hit for a €700 bill. turns out there was dodgy wireing in the immersion switch and timer so that it was always on!
    got the landlord to cought up €400 of it. and fix the switch of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Sure I'm waiting 3 months for my ESB bill - have registered and all was done right, reading taken - and no bill arrived. If all goes well they are going to let me have the last 3 months free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement