Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

honours technical drawing

Options
  • 13-06-2006 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

hows everybody set for T.D. ? any predictions would be helpfull;)
    im hoping for a b1 but might pull an A if the papers a good one.
    which do ye think will come up on paper2 Q 4 - shell structures or that hyperbola crap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Im doin it outside school & my TD teacher told me I wud get an B but there is not a hope in hell I will get that. I only got 51% in the mock I wud be lucky to get a C in it. I only know a few questions well like im fcuked for soilds and contact every1 seems to find them easy but me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭sticky9cd

i got 68 in the mock but we didnt have one question covered fully. i hate solids in contact specially when loci is involved-hows ur perspective?

Yeah same h8 loci. Love perspective find them very easy but just find them time consuming. I have only covered 8 questions so I have no choice in the paper

iv covered 10 but im going to leave out roofs and conics

Yeah sometimes roofs can be a bitch! Hope its an easy paper. U doin shadow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Got 94% in the mocks, and aiming to repeat it. Kind of seems weird that I won't be able to do any study for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Got 70ish in the mocks. Really not happy with my preparation for it now though, hope I can at least get a B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I've only the bare minimum number of questions covered. Roofs can be very hard especiall that "old" method of finding the dihedral angle. Would love to get an A

im doing on paper 1- interpenetration, solids in contact, planes and the one where ur rolling a circle along.

the guy who got 90 sumting in the mock, wat type of perspective did ye get? ours was a bitch and perspective is normally my best question. did it have a round base?

You may be interested in reading page 61 to 64 of this (the last few pages):

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_2005/TechnicalDrawingHighrrandOrdinary2006.pdf

It basically notes the good results of 2005 in tech D, says how too many students are relying on rote learning.

Quote: "Each year novel parts of questions WILL be presented throughout the examination paper. In order to answer these it is important that candidates be familiar with the subject matter as defined by the syllabus, as opposed to what as previosly examined":eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is it just me or do I feel tomorrows paper will throw up a few surprises. I'm only worried because I'd love an A but have only the minimum number of questions prepared, and have only ever worked from exam papers???

• Advertisement

whassupp2 wrote:
    You may be interested in reading page 61 to 64 of this (the last few pages):

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_2005/TechnicalDrawingHighrrandOrdinary2006.pdf

It basically notes the good results of 2005 in tech D, says how too many students are relying on rote learning.

Quote: "Each year novel parts of questions WILL be presented throughout the examination paper. In order to answer these it is important that candidates be familiar with the subject matter as defined by the syllabus, as opposed to what as previosly examined":eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is it just me or do I feel tomorrows paper will throw up a few surprises. I'm only worried because I'd love an A but have only the minimum number of questions prepared, and have only ever worked from exam papers???
    I really hope ur wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

sticky9cd wrote:
    im doing on paper 1- interpenetration, solids in contact, planes and the one where ur rolling a circle along.

the guy who got 90 sumting in the mock, wat type of perspective did ye get? ours was a bitch and perspective is normally my best question. did it have a round base?
    I don't know, can't find my mock exam and I didn't do the perspective so I can't find it in my answer sheets. Sorry!

Just listened to 706 on 2fm. The guy mentioned the cone. He said if you get stuck to think of the cone that more often than not you need it to sovlve the question especially in Q1c. Also he said not to spend more than 45 mins on any q:D

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

sticky9cd wrote:
    which do ye think will come up on paper2 Q 4 - shell structures or that hyperbola crap?
    If the last couple of years are anything to go by, then a hyperboloid of revolution looks set to come up. I hope.

I managed a 79% on the mocks, so repeating that'd be nice. And an extra 2% would be even nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

What's your time allowance for each question? I thought it was around 35 mins...did the lad on 706 say 45 mins? That'd be great if we have that much time.

I plan to plough straight on into Q1 tomorrow, interpenetration last and the 2 i choose in between. Most likely solids in contact & the circle rolling along one. I have the theorem question well prepared too, but that could go against me. It's probably the question I'm least confident on.

If you are only doing 4 questions(like myself only convered 4 ques) then you do have 45 mins for each question. 3x60= 160 / 4 = 45

Yeah Q.1 is straight forward goin 2 do that 1st then Q.4 its very time consuming but easy enuf question then S&C and VTH. Dont like S&C at all with all that loci stuff im just lost in it.

ya its 45 mins but that leaves no time to look over things at all.

For me its:

Q1 Planes
    Q3 Solids in Contact
    Q5 Loci (rolling circle)
    Q6 Conic Sections (ellipse, parabola etc)

I think the solids in contact may be very tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Think so? I've done nearly every question back to 1984 and there's never been anything outrageous....the true angle of the trace last year was a bit weird seeing as it's an oblique planes topic, and the year that you had to invert one of the cones to find the trace, that threw alot of people.

It's alot of the same stuff over and over again though...I hope they don't throw us.

well if something strange doesnt happen there it'll happen in loci. (speaking in terms of paper 1) Roofs in paper 2 and shell structures are the ones to watch out for in paper 2

• Advertisement

well if something strange doesnt happen there it'll happen in loci. (speaking in terms of paper 1) Roofs in paper 2 and shell structures are the ones to watch out for in paper 2

Advertisement