Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victim of .eu cybersquatter.

Options
  • 13-06-2006 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Need your advice on how I should proceed. Basically, I fudged up the whole eu registration process for one of my clients and this has resulted in their eu domain being taken by a cyber squatter. Just found out today. (Client doesnt know yet :o ).

The name is a very well known Irish company name and trade mark with an exact .ie and .com already registered. I did a whois on the eu domain and I was surprised to find the registrant is an Irish individual. I now have their address, email address & mobile phone number.

I can assure you that there is no reason for anyone to register this domain other than to try to sell it for a higher price. It is not a generic domain, it is highly specific to my clients company name and national trade mark. Ie the registrant is a cyber squatting scumbag.

How do you think I should proceed with this? Is there anything I can do other than pay a probably hugely inflated price to acquire the domain?

Thanks in advance for your reply..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Philbert wrote:
    How do you think I should proceed with this? Is there anything I can do other than pay a probably hugely inflated price to acquire the domain?
    Talk first then http://www.adr.eu

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Ziycon wrote:

wipo doesn't deal with .eu

Philbert wrote:
    I can assure you that there is no reason for anyone to register this domain other than to try to sell it for a higher price. It is not a generic domain, it is highly specific to my clients company name and national trade mark. Ie the registrant is a cyber squatting scumbag.
    You could also try contacting EUrid (www.eurid.eu) directly - there is supposed to be a shortcuircuit procedure from this kind of thing.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote:
    You could also try contacting EUrid (www.eurid.eu) directly - there is supposed to be a shortcuircuit procedure from this kind of thing.

Regards...jmcc

Jmcc - what are you referring to exactly? The only dispute resolution policy I can find anywhere in the Eurid documentation refers to adr.eu

If you can provide a link or more information about something else I would love to know

• Advertisement

blacknight wrote:
    Jmcc - what are you referring to exactly? The only dispute resolution policy I can find anywhere in the Eurid documentation refers to adr.eu

If you can provide a link or more information about something else I would love to know
    Basically if there is a concern that a .eu registrant may actually have registered the domain in bad faith and has no actual entitlement to it, you can contact Eurid directly. I'd have to go digging for the info though.

Regards...jmcc

John

If you *could* dig out the exact info it would be much appreciated :)

Michele

Advertisement