Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Honours Accounting

• 13-06-2006 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Okay this is my next exam so I have ages to study for it and I really need this time because I have done sweet F all during this year in Accounting. I used to be brilliant at it! I even won an award from Maynooth (€50).

But now I've gotten crap and I'm really in need of help. So people, get posting them hints and tips and predictions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

Question 1 has the most marks. It'a a gaurnteed (you know what i mean) question. Everyone says either sole trader or company and they are basically the same. the question doesn't change much so get out you exam papers and do them. personally i recomend doing around 3 questions from teh same topic in one sitting. it's painful but it really gets in to you head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭disney

section 3 will be marginal costing with ne luck!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Definately Marginal! I just hope we get one really really easy question in section 2 like club or farm accounts! Cash Flows and Suspense or Tab are likely. Actually wouldn't it be great if they left out Interpretation? It belongs in Business!!
    Accounting: The King Of Subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

i'd like marginal costing or flexible budgeting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

heehee if i get more than 20% in this exam it will be worth more than i deserve!!! Im soooooo crap at it! the strange thing is...i like it! hmm. id say do the same typa q agen an agen over the weekend and itl sink in...that what i doin...

AND DRINK DRINK DRINK that night!!!! IL BE FINISHED!!!!!!!!

>SINGS<

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

i LOVE accounting..however i dont think that i can give you any advice to what to cover and what not to especially with only a week to go because im covering ALL the questions that we did in class and am not gonna take a risk and get picky about it....however i will say that maybe the ones that come up every year would be a good bet(question 1 and question 5 and either marginal or product costing for question 8)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

Im not doing question 1 but these are the topics I'm focusing on:

Suspense
    Tabular(These are pretty much common sense though)
    Cashflow
    Interpretation
    Club accounts
    Revaluation
    Maybe published accounts and incomplete records

Marginal Costing
    Cash Budgeting

how hard is it to learn budgeting????we only covered marginal and product costing for section 3 but if budgeting is wasy i may cover that aswelll...can it be covered completely in the 5 days i have til accounting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

personally I couldn't learn budgeting in 5 days. I'm just going over flexable budgeting, they are quite simple and basic. On the other hand I find cash budgeting impossable, I know people who are in my class who have it the opposite way though. personally i'd say stick to what you know unless you're strugling with costing.

fatal wrote:
    how hard is it to learn budgeting????we only covered marginal and product costing for section 3 but if budgeting is wasy i may cover that aswelll...can it be covered completely in the 5 days i have til accounting?
    Cash budgeting is very straight forward,its basically a more detailed version of the junior cert budget.Its a very easy topic as well,just filling in numbers pretty much.You could probably learn it from the solutions+exam papers without a book

You would be doing well though to learn whe whoe budgeting section though in 5days

• Advertisement

isnt one from product costing or marginal pretty much guaranteed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Nerd007

I need help for tabular and suspense! im fine at everything else its just these two! i don't know why i cant do them! ahhh... im so annoyed! i have 5 days now to study for this exam and therefore im expecting a B possibly even an A. so any tips on suspense or tabular would be much appreciated!

Nerd007 wrote:
    I need help for tabular and suspense! im fine at everything else its just these two! i don't know why i cant do them! ahhh... im so annoyed! i have 5 days now to study for this exam and therefore im expecting a B possibly even an A. so any tips on suspense or tabular would be much appreciated!
    tabular is ALWAYS the same...look at the solutions for the last number of years and ul figure it out......just remember assets MUST = liabilities...
    sorry i cant help with suspense...im not doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

DonaldDuck wrote:
    Im not doing question 1 but these are the topics I'm focusing on:

Suspense
    Tabular(These are pretty much common sense though)
    Cashflow
    Interpretation
    Club accounts
    Revaluation
    Maybe published accounts and incomplete records

Marginal Costing
    Cash Budgeting

Hopefully those in bold come up. As well as a Company Final Account. Wouldn't it be nice if Club Accounts came up as a question 6.

Anyone gonig to do the Ratio's? Very hard to get good marks in it according to our teacher. Don't let me put you off though, it's basically a definite question.

Hopefully those in bold come up. As well as a Company Final Account. Wouldn't it be nice if Club Accounts came up as a question 6.

Anyone gonig to do the Ratio's? Very hard to get good marks in it according to our teacher. Don't let me put you off though, it's basically a definite question.
    Im only doing them if published accounts come up as a 100marker probably

do people think that published accounts will come up?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

Me!

Nerd007 wrote:
    do people think that published accounts will come up?????
    I dont know..I didn't think they would come up but apparntly they come up twice every 3 years,and theyll have only been up once in these 3 years if it doesnt come up

damn! i was planning on doing suspense, tabular, club ac and cash flow to cover me for questions 6 and 7. not doing qusetion 5. our teacher never did it with us and i tried it in the mock and got lik 17%!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

I reckon Published as a 60marker. Praying it's not a Manufacturing or Departmental Account for Q1 as I've enough to do :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Can debtors/creditors control accounts come up in section 2?

I've been through all the past papers and they never have and im doing question 1 so im just checking if i can leave these out of study.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

CrimE wrote:
    Can debtors/creditors control accounts come up in section 2?

I've been through all the past papers and they never have and im doing question 1 so im just checking if i can leave these out of study.

Nope, thankfully! So leave them out (Same with Reval and Dep)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Yeah thought so, cheers for that.

I hope suspense, tabular and club/service come up, if they all do you will all hear me screaming from my exam centre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tweetypie

I am dead for accounting :( I am rubbish at it but i got 69 in the mocks...fluke! I think i am just going to learn one long question (sole trader/company), ratios question and marginal and have a glance at the rest! I really need a B in it after my crap biology test yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭MB44

could anyone bet alot of money to say thet manufacturing or departmental accounts wont come up? ive studied sole and company and have them perfect but if the other 2 come up i am screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I would only for I'd be afraid of Jinxing the thing. I so hate this subject. I gotta study it everyday until monday!

im DEAD for this exam! i have 5 days to study for it including today. i spend two hours this morning doing a final account and i was WAAAAYY out! it just annoys me that i spend so long at it and it didnt even work! i need to do well in this to balance my bad grade in bio (which was a disater!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Okay, I wrote out all my formulas for Ratio Analysis, cos thats a dead cert for a question.

I'll do Final Accounts of a Company and a Sole Trader tomorrow.

I'm not gonna touch Tab statements because I hate them and they take forever to rule up etc.

So that leaves me needing one question from Section 2 and one from Section 3.
    So what else should I do that I can master in a few days?

Slurms wrote:
    Okay, I wrote out all my formulas for Ratio Analysis, cos thats a dead cert for a question.

I'll do Final Accounts of a Company and a Sole Trader tomorrow.

I'm not gonna touch Tab statements because I hate them and they take forever to rule up etc.

So that leaves me needing one question from Section 2 and one from Section 3.
    So what else should I do that I can master in a few days?
    Im pretty sure you get cashbook paper in the exam book to do the tabular statements...we got it at the back of it in the junior cert for business...

Id do Marginal costing for your section 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

DonaldDuck wrote:
    Im pretty sure you get cashbook paper in the exam book to do the tabular statements...we got it at the back of it in the junior cert for business...

Id do Marginal costing for your section 3
    I hate Tabs, I just do!

Okay I'll look at MArginal Costing, cheers!

Advertisement