Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Honours Accounting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭belinea06

these wont come up in section2 cause they came up there last year. it can only come up in section1 - make sure u know the layout cause u lose quite a lot of marks if headings arent in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

I'm PRAYING Manufacturing account doesn't come up (and Departmental while we're on it, but nobody really knows what they are ;)) I've never really seen why people find Published so difficult :confused: It's basically just Q1, but you put everything into a working and the notes are so easy, basically just explain the working :D

If anyone needs help with anything, just shout and I'll try my best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Nerd007

i've been told that published comes up twice every 3 years so it could come up this year! im sooo worried about accounting!

well if manufactoring comes up, im completly f**ked. But everyone else will be so... thats a positive thing, right??

tried a suspense and a tabular this evening and its just not working for me! would someone explain the simple rules to me?? cos im totally lost!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Don't try to predict the paper. They can and do repeat stuff that has come up the previous year that everyone thought they'd be safe leaving out. They're sneaky like that.

claire h wrote:
    Don't try to predict the paper. They can and do repeat stuff that has come up the previous year that everyone thought they'd be safe leaving out. They're sneaky like that.

your are so right, but that means i have a whole course to study in 3.5 days. is there anything i can leave out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Nerd007 wrote:
    your are so right, but that means i have a whole course to study in 3.5 days. is there anything i can leave out?

Sure you *can*, but you do run the risk of getting screwed over. Mmm, accounting is fun, isn't it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

claire h wrote:
    Sure you *can*, but you do run the risk of getting screwed over. Mmm, accounting is fun, isn't it? :rolleyes:
    Accountings been very predictable for a few years:

Nerd,if youre doing question 1 you can leave out:
    Control A/Cs
    Revaluation
    Depreciation

did i ever mention how much i LOVE accounting....

Nerd007 wrote:
    i've been told that published comes up twice every 3 years so it could come up this year! im sooo worried about accounting!

well if manufactoring comes up, im completly f**ked. But everyone else will be so... thats a positive thing, right??

tried a suspense and a tabular this evening and its just not working for me! would someone explain the simple rules to me?? cos im totally lost!

Thanks

Deffo, I'll be ****ed beyond belief if it's a manufacturing account!

Suspense is basically that for every debit entry, there's a correspoding credit entry. Eg. If we pay out money for a fixed asset, we're crediting the bank (reducing it) and debiting the fixed assed account (increasing it). Once you've balanced out the figures/errors, if there's any money that's still unaccounted for (ie the debit entries you made didn't cancel the credit ones or vice-versa) then it goes to suspense.

Hope that helped, sounded simple till I read it back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

Acutally, I just learned a manufacturing account there and it's actually quite easy! Just learn the order of the M a/c and then the adjustments are the same...but with less complications!
    Suspense, I hated in 5th year but now that we've got all the basic concepts they're quite easy to do, as are tabulure, but I hate that you never know if you're right or wrong for either! At least with final accounts, service firms, club accounts etc we know if it's worked or not! I'm praying for a Sole Trader, Q5, Club a/c, cash budget or marginal costing. Or flexible budgeting, easiest question ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

happydance wrote:
    Personally I love interperatation! I used to find it impossabl to do weel but then I tried printing off a few solutions from the last 2 years and baseing my answers on that, it really works!

co-sign

It probably works because they're the actual answers...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 brianfiel

Watch Out For Incomplete 60 Marker!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tweetypie

Okay so i have looked through the papers back until 1997 and there seems to be a definate pattern

2005- Manufacturing
    2004-Company
    2003-Sole
    2002-Company
    2001- Manufacturing ect...

So judging by that i reckon company is the most likely...but a sole trader did come up on the pre.

Manufacturing should definately not come up..if it does thats another fail in the bag for me:(

What do you reckon will be the most likely Q6 and Q7 questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

I have done no study for it today :-( Better start soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

willowmegs wrote:
    I have done no study for it today :-( Better start soon
    Me too but I was busy getting an a1 in German(I hope). I ****ing hate this subject with a passion. It reminds me of horse racing.

tweetypie wrote:
    Okay so i have looked through the papers back until 1997 and there seems to be a definate pattern

2005- Manufacturing
    2004-Company
    2003-Sole
    2002-Company
    2001- Manufacturing ect...

So judging by that i reckon company is the most likely...but a sole trader did come up on the pre.

Manufacturing should definately not come up..if it does thats another fail in the bag for me:(

What do you reckon will be the most likely Q6 and Q7 questions?

Cashflow
    Suspense
    Tab
    And the more I look at it, the more I think the other method of Incomplete Records (NOT the one that came up last year)

Rob30888 wrote:
    Cashflow
    Suspense
    Tab
    And the more I look at it, the more I think the other method of Incomplete Records (NOT the one that came up last year)
    the backwards one?

willowmegs wrote:
    the backwards one?

Yup, it came up after the control account method a few years back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Rob30888 wrote:
    Yup, it came up after the control account method a few years back...

Interesting...I never thought of that! Isn't that the really easy one?

• Advertisement

Faerie wrote:
    Interesting...I never thought of that! Isn't that the really easy one?
    it is :)

Incomplete Records II - is that the one where you work from the Balance Sheet to the Trading, Profit and Loss??? Sorry, Accounting really isn't my thing!!!

How's the study going for everyone? I have an accounting filled weekend ahead of me - how exciting!!!

Still can't do Tabular! Getting better at Suspense though! I really wanna leave out Tabular but I know that if i leave it out, it'll come up! I wish someone here had the paper - how helpful would that be!!!! Darn... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

Nerd007 wrote:
    Incomplete Records II - is that the one where you work from the Balance Sheet to the Trading, Profit and Loss??? Sorry, Accounting really isn't my thing!!!

How's the study going for everyone? I have an accounting filled weekend ahead of me - how exciting!!!

Still can't do Tabular! Getting better at Suspense though! I really wanna leave out Tabular but I know that if i leave it out, it'll come up! I wish someone here had the paper - how helpful would that be!!!! Darn... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Tabulars are very straight forward,theres no tricks in them so dont look for any.Take every entry as you see it
    "Revalued buildings at 500000"
    Add to buildings value so it reaches 500000 (call this A)
    Remove depreciation(Call this B)
    Add a reval reserve in expenses part as the total of A+B

Any particular adjustment giving trouble?

Yeah, the things most likely to come up are:
    Company, Suspense, cash flow, revaluation of fixed assets (short questions) then tabular, club, interpretation or the balance sheet incomplete. Then marginal costing and cashbudget or flexible.

Worst case scenario:
    Manufacturing account, long questions: published a/c, incomplete bank ac style, suspense, and production budgets etc.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭MB44

i was really worried that manufacturing mught come up so i said to myself whats the point in worrying when i can stil have time to study them. They are just like company and if you spend a few hours on them your sorted.

i'll try them tomorrow. im busy going to a jobs fair thingy today. i'll work at accounting all day tomorrow and monday morning, though. i'm hoping for sole trader.

If published accounts came up and you hadn't studied them and you just did all the adjustments and perhaps tried the profit and loss and balance sheet, would you get any marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Nerd007 wrote:
    If published accounts came up and you hadn't studied them and you just did all the adjustments and perhaps tried the profit and loss and balance sheet, would you get any marks?
    yea you would get marks but i dunno why people think its so hard...its the same as question one except you do the workings separately and put the final figures in only

i just have a mental block against the whole of accounting!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tweetypie

Nerd007 wrote:
    i just have a mental block against the whole of accounting!!!
    lol! You must be like me then!:)

Advertisement