Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

construction studies next week!!

Options
  • 13-06-2006 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Has any1 got any idea where to start ...............this is what im doing
    1. piping system
    2.roofs
    3.u value/ heat calculations
    4.window stuff and door stuff
    5.learn my project

yeah q1 the drawings has any1 got any idea what may come up and how many drawing are there in total a question noyone can answer for me!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Has any1 got any idea where to start ...............this is what im doing
    1. piping system
    2.roofs
    3.u value/ heat calculations
    4.window stuff and door stuff
    5.learn my project

yeah q1 the drawings has any1 got any idea what may come up and how many drawing are there in total a question noyone can answer for me!!!

If u learn:

Indirect hot piping system
    Moisture penetration
    The drawings
    UValues
    Wheelchair Accessibility
    Old house Renevation
    Soundproofing

you'll be fine.

Roofs dont tend to come up very often and i think your wasting you time learning your project. I find the marking schemes very hand for construction. the do all the answers out.

www.examinations.ie

On second thoughts you'll probably need more than that. But you can always bluff you way through question 10. Its always an essay type question on a general topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Do you think Lux values will come up. Anyone have any ideas what drawing will come up? I think it might be a window or a fireplace.

Never heard of lux values before so i hope it doesnt come up.

I haven't a clus bout the drawins but i wouldnt be surprised to c a chimney or stairs or somethin abstract like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

whassupp2 wrote:
    Never heard of lux values before so i hope it doesnt come up.

I haven't a clus bout the drawins but i wouldnt be surprised to c a chimney or stairs or somethin abstract like that.
    Lux values have to do with light and all that lark but i don't know to much about it because i don't that part of the course.

I'd love if the stairs to came up, some years they have two drawings on.
    I'm slow at the drawings though, if i did tech graph i would be a lot quicker and it would save a lot of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭bobneedshelpnow

i think sumthing to do with eeves detail in roofs will apear sumwhere .......they are due to cum up or maybe fireplace/door .............but what do i know???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Jesus, I really hope the fireplace doesnt come up...

ya. its quite popular in da drawins. hopefully a foundation

I was crap at the drawins in Con.st was always fogettin stuff but in my last few test we did in class I was coming out wit 50 r so out of 60.

Are uz just tech drawin tables for question one or just norm desks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭bobneedshelpnow

eamoss wrote:
    I was crap at the drawins in Con.st was always fogettin stuff but in my last few test we did in class I was coming out wit 50 r so out of 60.

Are uz just tech drawin tables for question one or just norm desks?

well i cant draw my teacher always laughed off my drawings
    and tells me im gonna fail even though im brill at scetches and theory its just q1 i cant draw:rolleyes:

the problem alot of people have is that they put in too much detail. The marks are awarded for 12 valid design details so for example if you do a foundation and the width you pu is 1000mm (instead of 900) it doesnt matter as long as u have 12 other points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭sticky9cd

whassupp2 wrote:
    the problem alot of people have is that they put in too much detail. The marks are awarded for 12 valid design details so for example if you do a foundation and the width you pu is 1000mm (instead of 900) it doesnt matter as long as u have 12 other points.

you sure bout that? if so im happy:D :D
    wev spent ages learning of mesurments and my Q1 is my best question. hate sketches. do you lose much marks for doing a sketch question but doing it with setsquares?

well thats what our teacher told us. For sketch questions do them in your answerbook. Keep them neet. Dont us set squares technically but u can use them as a ruler to draw straight lines. Always colour your drawings too. they look much better that way. and keep them as big as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

:rolleyes: :cool:

i got 70% in my mocks and i didnt know what a jamb, sill or lentil was.

i dont do TG and apart from my benchtest, ive never put two pieces of wood together in my life. basically, i'm clueless with regard to construction yet i can pull of 70% in an LC pre exam.

enough of this panicking. if i can get that, anyone can pass :rolleyes:

I did no study wat so ever for the mock no joke didnt open a book and came out with 42% :eek: :o

hoping for an B in the LC :D

Also the drawin in con.st is simple drawing noting like tech drawing or even tech graphics its just knowing the measurements

Yeah, anyone can pass! In my class of 25 everyone is doing higher level and they will all pass most of the class will get As and Bs. Dont know how ppl fail it in the leaving.

eamoss wrote:
    hoping for an B in the JC :D
    I don't need to say anthing else ;)

Whooops :o:D

Let me just change that

Hope water systems come up even tho in my last few exams I have always forgot 2 but the 2ed 45L tank in the indirect system.

Do you think planning will come up this year?

possibly but i'd concentrate on the stuff thats almost certain to appear. Hows evere1 for the drawings???????????????

whassupp2 wrote:
    possibly but i'd concentrate on the stuff thats almost certain to appear. Hows evere1 for the drawings???????????????
    Lack of clarity is the biggest problem with them. What almost certain to appear??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

caesar wrote:
    Lack of clarity is the biggest problem with them. What almost certain to appear??
    U-values... eh, I dunno. The syllabus is so flabby that they have plenty of material to choose from that hasn't been on for years.

• Advertisement

Not too sure wat drawing will come up so im just goin 2 learn them all. Going over light & sound at the mo.

U-values I always get mixed up wit conductdivity and reastivaty. Is it conductivity = divide and reactivity = multiply?

Just had a look thro my exam papers and fireplace hasnt come up the often.
    97 - Door
    98 - Roof
    99 - Door
    00 - Window & Door
    01 - Window & Sup Floor
    02 - Fireplace & Soild Floor
    03 - Door
    04 - Roof
    05 - Soild & Sup Floor

Also getting the lux value hasnt come up since 94 :eek:

EDIT: Whoops lux values came up in 98, 00 & 03

Doors seem quite popular. I'll **** myself if its a tough question tomorrow (Q1)

Ah does any1 know if they can ask 3 dif things like windown, sup floor & door?

Anyway I have them all learned off so I SHUD be ok as for the rest of the stuff :rolleyes:

Kwekubo wrote:
    U-values... eh, I dunno. The syllabus is so flabby that they have plenty of material to choose from that hasn't been on for years.
    Ya i know, i was quoting whassupp2 "but i'd concentrate on the stuff thats almost certain to appear" thats why i asked.

construction in 2 1/2 hours. I'm quite looking forward to it actually but if a tough drawing question comes up I'm fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

last exam... last EVER time in school... :cool: only 50 points at stake so theres not too much pressure. i'll settle for 25.

no matter what comes up for Q1, im fluiched. i'll 'attempt' u-values and bank on q10 :D

hopefully they'll get me a pass.

edit: wtf? on second thought's im looking for a B, i got 70% in the pre's so i have to beat that. construction is easy to pass, hard to get an A in, certainly in the theory.

Yep cant wait 2 get it over and done with then im finished. And wat a day to start off my summer cold and wet :rolleyes:

I'm hoping for an A. Did fairly good project, poor practical and got 82% in pre's (but it was a very handy drawing we got).

My last exam too. Parent are puttin me under pressure to get a job!

• Advertisement

Im hoping for a B or if its an easy paper an A. Yeah I also did a good project was told it was a A standard but I did a poor practical.

Anyway im off to do a bit of study so best of luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement