Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest ATI Graphics Cards

Options
  • 13-06-2006 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of selling my 7800gt and upgrading to an ATI x1900xt.

I've always had more confidence in ATI mainly because my first build was with an ATI card and it never gave me a day of trouble. Last time I was upgrading nVidia had just released the 7 series and it more or less blew ATI away, at the time they struggled to respond with anything decent. So I decided to get the 7800gt which has been exemplary in its service but as is prone to happening I want more power ;)
    It seems now with the 1900 series ATI have started to catch up and are also generally more reasonably priced than nVidia.
    So what do you reckon, Stick with nVidia or go ATI?

As far as I can see most people around here seem to be more interested in the nVidia cards, probably due mainly to recent market domination?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I'm thinking of selling my 7800gt and upgrading to an ATI x1900xt.

I've always had more confidence in ATI mainly because my first build was with an ATI card and it never gave me a day of trouble. Last time I was upgrading nVidia had just released the 7 series and it more or less blew ATI away, at the time they struggled to respond with anything decent. So I decided to get the 7800gt which has been exemplary in its service but as is prone to happening I want more power ;)
    It seems now with the 1900 series ATI have started to catch up and are also generally more reasonably priced than nVidia.
    So what do you reckon, Stick with nVidia or go ATI?

As far as I can see most people around here seem to be more interested in the nVidia cards, probably due mainly to recent market domination?
    I've a HIS X1900XTX and it's giving me exemplary performance. Problem is, I don't own a 7900 card too, to make comparisons against... Most of these discussions fall at this hurdle - practically no-one can give opinions based on direct experience of two cards of compatible strength because who in their right minds spends that kind of money just for the sake of learning which is best? But if you want to know whether an X1900XTX plays latest games smoothly and with great performance, yes, it does... it's a good card :)

(PS My own concerns before buying this card was with noise mainly - NVidia cards seem to run quieter according to reviews etc. However, I have never found the ATi card to be noisey in use, thankfully, so I don't think that should be an issue)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 1900xt is a better buy over the 7800 series definately for to-be-released games....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

X1900XTX would SLAUGHTER a 7800

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The X1900XTX is the best card available at the minute:)

Although a 7950GX2 beats it in raw FPS, The X1900XTX supports HDR/AA which looks amazing in Oblivion and Farcry and other games that support it.

The X1800/1900 series also have a much newer architechture than the 7800/7900 series cardsand will perform better in newer and future games....

The only problem with ATI is their drivers are crap compared yo the Forceware drivers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Maybe an off topic kinda question regarding the new up and coming graphics cards.I recently got Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and it installed a driver for a piece of hardware called Ageia,will these new graphics cards have this on them or is it a seperate piece of kit and does anyone have it or would it be worth getting.

My old hercules 9700pro doesnt cut the mustard anymore so while I'm over in states this summer,I might get a new card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Its a seperate physics card. Not worth it at the moment. Let Ageia and Havok battle it out for awhile first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Probably wouldnt bother getting an xtx. From reviews I have read the performance increases between the x1900xt and the xtx are not really worth it for the money (Unless your an fps whore ;) )

I've heard differing reports about the ATI drivers but there not that bad that they would put me off buying an x1900

Just priced the X1900XTX on newegg Link,thats some price compared to Komplett.

Might even be cheaper by time I go in July.Hmmm

Probably wouldnt bother getting an xtx. From reviews I have read the performance increases between the x1900xt and the xtx are not really worth it for the money (Unless your an fps whore ;) )

I've heard differing reports about the ATI drivers but there not that bad that they would put me off buying an x1900

Really,I have given up reading reviews(Not enough time in day) I just come on here and when the question is asked by boards members I know you will get some great answers.

Actually the X1900XT is nearly a $100 cheaper than the XTX.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

And some of the XTs have memory that will overclock to XTX speeds............

• Advertisement

what about core speed though?

KamiKazi wrote:
    what about core speed though?

Supposedly that can be clocked to xtx levels aswell with a bit of decent cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭CSSource God

X1900xt rocks, not worth the extra for the XTX considering the Catalysts now have an inbuilt overclocking tool and my xt can be clocked above xtx speeds:D Also the temperature is stable for me. Cant fault it, and i am very happy with the latest drivers. Oblivion looks amazing with HDR and AA enabled!:)

well if the XT can go above XTX speeds, imagine what speeds the XTX could go to!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Why are you upgrading within the same generation? Shurley Naar Tedd?
    ATI's R600 has just been taped out.
    2nd Gen UNIFIED SHADER ftw.

KamiKazi wrote:
    well if the XT can go above XTX speeds, imagine what speeds the XTX could go to!!!:p

Not much more I'd wager. You'd probably have better ram on the card though.

SyxPak wrote:
    Why are you upgrading within the same generation? Shurley Naar Tedd?
    ATI's R600 has just been taped out.
    2nd Gen UNIFIED SHADER ftw.
    may release its new chip by the end of the year.

Tbh I'm not planning on upgrading for at least another year so I'm happy enough getting an r580 based card at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

What res do u play games at?? U "only" have a 19" monitor so im guessing 1280*1024...

An X1800XT would still fly along at that res with maxed out gfx.. Why not get another 7800gt n sli??? Pick them up cheap second hand now..

X1900xt is a better buy over the XTX... I got an XTX cheap, other than that id have never have got one.. not worth the extra over the XT.. Not much point in shelling out big bucks now with DX10 n vista n new cores coming out so soon...

unklerosco wrote:
    What res do u play games at?? U "only" have a 19" monitor so im guessing 1280*1024...

An X1800XT would still fly along at that res with maxed out gfx.. Why not get another 7800gt n sli??? Pick them up cheap second hand now..

X1900xt is a better buy over the XTX... I got an XTX cheap, other than that id have never have got one.. not worth the extra over the XT.. Not much point in shelling out big bucks now with DX10 n vista n new cores coming out so soon...

Yea only got a 19" Monitor but planning to get another for dual display so its nice to know my Graphics card should handle it ;) Wont be shelling out that much either if I get a bit of money for my current 7800gt (Keep an eye on the fs forum ;) )

The whole Vista/DX10/New amd&intel processors thing is going be a bit crazy for a while so I kind of want to avoid them until everything is stable and smooth in the market. I reckon it'll easily be this time next summer before everything is reasonably priced for total system overhaul, which is more or less whats going to be needed with the new processors, vista etc

What you're doing is replacing a solid modern card with a *slightly* faster one. You're going to get sfa back from the 7800gt.
    Why not keep the card and spend the difference on a quality monitor, or a comfy chair or some platinum nipple clamps or something else. Any one of those is a better use of your money than a negligible upgrade.
    Overclock the card already!

• Advertisement
Advertisement