Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to use Low voltage Downlights in Bathrooms

Options
  • 13-06-2006 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

As title say's..
    Can I not use Mains voltage down lights in a bathroom since these can have low energy bulbs then fitted [unlike low voltage lights I understand] and also I believe mains voltage can be dimmed?
    Electrician says only low voltage in bathrooms but would appreciate any comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I think your electrician is right - low voltage only. I have a set of the 220V ones and it says they're not suitable for a bathroom.

On your other point I've never heard of low energy rated bulbs, which could be used on a dimmer switch.
    Maybe they exist - what make are the ones you're talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

Hi Reyman
    I thought it was just a matter of whether the lights are IP rated for the different zones on the bathroom and not that it has to be low voltage?

Sorry for the confusion but in my previous post I said mains voltage being dimmable [spelling?] I am not aware of low energy bulbs being able to be dimmed either..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

The ones I have are IP44. Bulbs GU5.3 - 12volt.

I'm presuming the step down transformer is used because it's compulsory in the bathroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I think it's fine to use mains voltage down lights as long as they are properly rated for a bathroom. i.e. IP44
    Low voltage lights can be dimmed, they just need a dimmable transformer and it's an advantage to have a soft start dimmer switch.

Advertisement