Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Syllabus Science!

• 13-06-2006 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I thought I would start this thread now seeing as it is inevitable that it is going to start anyway!:rolleyes: How do you think you're set for the new course? I have all day for studying tomorrow but I still need to do alot!:p Having the mark for the practicles takes some of the stress off but some of the questions in the sample papers are tricky! Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Ahh glad I'm doing the old syllabus...multiple choice questions and now stress about some big experiment book thing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

this is going to be the only A i get....i'll make sure i get an A. science is my best subject and i have actually asked my teachers for coursework from the LC course to see how i can do. in chem eqn balancing i got all 14 LC level ones right....i think im set for this :D:D:D:D

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Yeah, I love science but I'm worried about the coursework. 1/3 of my lab book is written in, and that is drawn all over and incomprehensible. My project wasn't bad though. I just hope they wont be checking my lab book. =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

BMH wrote:
    Yeah, I love science but I'm worried about the coursework. 1/3 of my lab book is written in, and that is drawn all over and incomprehensible. My project wasn't bad though. I just hope they wont be checking my lab book. =/
    We never had to hand up those, instead we had to write them all out again in refil pad pages and present them in a paper folder-thingy! [strike]I never did it...[/strike]

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kwiva-g

Jello wrote:
    Ahh glad I'm doing the old syllabus...multiple choice questions and no stress about some big experiment book thing. :)

We had no stress about the experiment copies at all! Our teacher was so good! Though we mightn't have liked it at first, she made sure that we wrote our experiments when we did them, and she repeated experiments at lunch times for people who weren't in school when we first did them. LOVE HER!!!:D

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm sure a teacher can make a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

My one went grand, I'm glad I've a good bit of the test done beforehand. Can't wait to not have my bitch of science teacher ever again!

Jello wrote:
    She was very good on the practical side of things, very thorough, and some people say shes the best teacher in the school, but when it comes to the theory I find it awful hard to learn from her! It's probably just me, I don't really like science, but I listen in class and what she says just doesn't go in like it does in other subjects! She reads so fast and has the most boring reading voice ever :p. I hope she doesn't read this, I'm like her class pet (totally not my fault), she would hate to think I was dissing her:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Jello wrote:
    ahahahaha...if you knew my teacher you'd know why I'm laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

We didn't do most of the expieremnts. Not that the examiner will know.... :D

Hopefully. :eek:

But we haven't covered half the course. THAT will show. I'm going to try and learn the whole physics course and half the biology tonight. And if I have time, revise what I did in class.

• Advertisement

We were running out of time at the end of the school year to get our course covered but our teacher took us for some extra classes during religion! (We don't do religion for the j.c.) I have never known a teacher to care so much about her students!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

I am so entirely fecked in Science.
    And I'm looking to do hons phys for LC?!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

I just hope the exam isn't going to be too hard, because it's the first year of it. I got so pissed off over the experiment, there were TOO FREAKING MANY!! Especially when I realised that 3/4 of the ones I'd already written up were useless, because they weren't mandatory. Gah! As long as I can understand the questions, I should be okay. I usually get A's in Science anyway. Guh, now I must go study......*mutters*.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

kwiva-g wrote:
    We had no stress about the experiment copies at all! Our teacher was so good! Though we mightn't have liked it at first, she made sure that we wrote our experiments when we did them, and she repeated experiments at lunch times for people who weren't in school when we first did them. LOVE HER!!!:D
    Mine did that too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭greg678

Jello wrote:
    Ahh glad I'm doing the old syllabus...multiple choice questions and now stress about some big experiment book thing. :)
    Ha id HATE THAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

this is going to be the only A i get....i'll make sure i get an A. science is my best subject and i have actually asked my teachers for coursework from the LC course to see how i can do. in chem eqn balancing i got all 14 LC level ones right....i think im set for this :D:D:D:D

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A

Ah you're doing n00blet Science, old course ftw :P

greg678 wrote:
    Ha id HATE THAT!
    That's just cos you're doing the new syllabus...
    And what would you hate about multiple choice questions and no Experiment thing to worry about?
    The only experiment I'll have to write out is something like ''Describe an experiment to show how to find the density of a liquid'' :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭disney

ANarcho-munk, no how u feel wit the whole taecher thing!!

By the way if the lab copies havent been inspected at this stage they wont b. (ie) if u wrote down in the green book u had them all done, wether u did or not there is 10% in da bag!!! :D:):D:):D:):D:) U gotta luv life, but maybe not science!!!

Gud luck 2mrw guys!!! ull all b grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emzxx

Does anyone know if we get maths table books in the exam tomorrow??thanx!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

yes we do, if not just ask for one. you need them for the perodic table in the back. its the perodic table which is furthest from the back page you use afaik ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I've already passed without sitting the exam! haha gotta love the new course...As for the actual exam, I'll probably be grand. I got 81% on the mock exam (without the coursework done) so I'm hoping for an A. But I didn't study at all...EEK but whenever I try the past exam questions I get stuck on lots of them. Dunno how I did so well in the mocks! I hate the investigation questions about variables and fair tests etc. and I hate the experiment questions...grrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

yes we do, if not just ask for one. you need them for the perodic table in the back. its the perodic table which is furthest from the back page you use afaik ;)

So you do get a periodic table with the exam?

Phew!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ganados

Wasn't that bad.got stuck on a few questions but mainly ok.I'd say a B with the coursework done.Maybe an A.....just wishful thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

did fair well on the physics part and preety good on the chemistry and biology
    plus i did fair well on my project and that blue book so i should get a B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

I think I passed!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Done ok in Ordinary Level Science today, in what I think was the 1989 syllabus. Since I sacrified my only study in science for the last three years last night for the big football match at Ballyare I struggled at some of the stuff. Hopefully my paper isn't cancelled since I sort of slightly took the piss out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

new syllabus wasn't too hard. I found it easy :D Although my mates would contradict that comment :cool:

New Syllabus - did fine, Physics was a bit tricky.

Old syllabus was quite easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

I think a collective 'meh' is in order.

It wasnt too hard to pass, but to get an A you'd need to know your stuff !

Suspect I got a B (though maybe if it marked easily because of first year an 'A'. That would be sweet).

Hpe ya'll did well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

Hoping it's marked easily!
    Chemistry was kinda tricky, but I loved Biology and Physics went grand too!
    One more exam to go and then summer starts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭disney

SCIENCE IS OVER!!!! YAY!!!

One exam left Homec, doddle!!!

Roll on Summer!!!! :D:):D:):D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

disney wrote:
    SCIENCE IS OVER!!!! YAY!!!

One exam left Homec, doddle!!!

Roll on Summer!!!! :D:):D:):D:)
    Yesssssssssssssss!

Science I think went ok, I answered most of the questions.

Did you see the question about making oxygen(higher revised syllabus)? Our teacher told us that we would have to know only one of the two methods for making oxygen, but for that question, it asked specific questions on the method using syringes and copper:confused: She went mad when we came out and told her, because we had learned the other one! She said she was going to complain to the department! Well she was told at at one of those teacher courses that there was an option to learn one or the other. Did anyone else have this problem? Maybe she is the one that made the mistake I don't know really. Luckily I read over the other method the night before, just by chance, and was able to answer that question! Thank God!!

It's marked as a mandatory experiment, she can complain all she likes.The questions weren't really about the experiment anyway, just about the gas cooling down and stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement